What causes brake imbalance?

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
My mechanic told me my car brakes are imbalance,

Meaning when emergency braking, the car will go to one side, and wont stop in straight manner.

Can anyone whom experienced such braking problem share whats the cause of brake imbalance?

Also opinion of anyone whom know how to solve the problem is welcomed...:wavey:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
4 wheel disc or disc / drum combo system?

If disc / drum, the drum brakes are not evenly adjusted.
If 4 wheel disc then different pressure going to the individual wheels.
Not sure whether still in the market but there was a gadget that you can add to the brake distribution to even out the pressure, but the cons of that gadget make your brakes feels spongy....

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
the distribution valve is clogged la. Or needs flushing. Specifically applies to disc brake users.

If it's drums then it's just adjusting like what tayar king vr2turbo said.

Or just crappy brake pads that don't grip evenly.

ae92 corolla

Known Member
Aug 22, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
bro did you check your master brake pump and individual brake pump.... i heard it may cause the car to slide if the hydraulic pressure are not evenly distributed....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
bro did you check your master brake pump and individual brake pump.... i heard it may cause the car to slide if the hydraulic pressure are not evenly distributed....
That is what TS is asking about. Once one wheel lock and the other doesn't,the car will start to pull to one side and if brakes are not release, it will start to slide sideways....

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, do you think if I do the following rectification works would help?

1) Change new brake pads..

2) Brake fliud bleeding

3) Servicing & cleaning the brake calipers and other items on the brake housing..

Any other job needs to be done?

My brake rotor though not that new but its still not badly worn out....

Sifus and others kindly advice what to do? Tq in advance! :adore:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oh!?

Didnt know that non brake parts also can caused braking imbalance...

OK will check on those as well. Thanks for the info!:idea:
Technically it doesn't cause braking imbalance. It just causes the swerving to one side.

Imagine a toy car with one axle connect to the wheels. If one end of the axle has a perfectly working bush/bearing and the other side is missing it altogether, what happens when you push the toy car forward? It turns one side by itself. It's the same concept here.

Bleeding/flushing is one thing - I'm referring to blockage on the distribution valve. If one side pressure is stronger than the other the caliper pistons will clamp down at different pressures which will result in uneven braking as well. Old cars that aren't maintained well might have this problem with their distribution valves. I've seen a Satria with only 3 working brake oil pipings (this isn't a hose, it's the copper 'hose' going from the servo to the 4 sides of the car) with one completely clogged. The only fix for this was to replace the copper hosing or find some mechanic who would be willing to pressure clean your braking system for you (very very rare service). Might not completely work either. I mean, brake oil being as corrosive as it is, if you have a blockage and the brake oil isn't able to dissolve it, then that's one helluva blockage!

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
FYI, this one of the top reason why car inspection failed after halfcut swap

My mech, after so much failed car inspections, made thorough inspections and replace/repair/service as necessary. me think all that LesleyAprotto, Izso, ronaldindin, ae92 corolla & DanzEterna pointed already in his inspection list... so far zero brake-related inspection failures.

as per disc/drum combo, mine also got issue after the conversion since I still use kancil original drum brakes at the rear (you know how much daihatsu mira rear disc brake set cost?)... but after re - bleeding brake fluids, it passed the test :proud:

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
uneven tires surface also a factor even down to the tire pressure.. unless ur solely talking about braking system.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
one more thing, and this i can relate...

broken abs also can contribute... my rear abs kong edi... kinda weird when doing emergency brake this morning... nearly ram a bike if I hadn't swerve to the left ... thank God :adore:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Guys, do you think if I do the following rectification works would help?

1) Change new brake pads..

2) Brake fliud bleeding

3) Servicing & cleaning the brake calipers and other items on the brake housing..

Any other job needs to be done?

My brake rotor though not that new but its still not badly worn out....

Sifus and others kindly advice what to do? Tq in advance! :adore:
Well, you can try servicing/cleaning the system first and then try out, but if it is clogged like bro. Izso mentioned that is another problem, then need to change that part.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello Sir I'm planning to Turbo my 4G93 SOHC. I have Mitsubishi lancer 2006 model with me. I'm not Malaysian but I live in Malaysia as a student. My brother is doing this project in my country Pakistan. Currently in Pakistan Mitsubishi Lancer 2003 model onwards are equipped with 4G15 the new generation. Which is without distributor and is with equipped with two coil. Currently I have swapped 4G93 SOHC the new generation which is also without distributor. The engine came with automatic...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience