What car to buy

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I'm very good at giving other people car buying advice, just not very good at giving myself advice.

What I want in my car, in terms of priority:
1.POWER
2.Comfort
3.Good looking

What I don't have:
1.Money, let's set a budget of RM150k +/-. Don't ask me to buy a used car at 150k, that's crazy. Used car service would cost minimum RM5k, all the fluids and oils, filters, bushings, absorbers etc.

My commentary: objective observation followed by subjective input.
New:
Mazda 3 - awesome car, too slow with 2.0 N/A engine. I like the design, the interior, love the features. I recommended this car to my friend and he bought it.
Honda Civic - hahaha CVT go die please. Interior is crap compared to Mazda 3, feels cheap.
Honda CR-V - most powerful in its class. CVT again but let me brainwash myself that this is an SUV so CVT is acceptable for a moment. I haven't seen the interior. sorry the rear is way too ugly, burn it with fire. Civic ketam I can barely accept. This is just ugly.
Mazda CX-5 facelift version - too slow with 2.0, too expensive buying price for 2.5L. Best looking vehicle of the entire bunch.
Honda Accord 10th gen - rumoured to have 2.0L turbo Civic Type R engine, give it the 10 speed auto gearbox and I'll buy it provided its around 180k. If Honda Malaysia sells only the 1.5L with CVT they can keep it, that's stupid.
Mercedes C200/C250 - I damn like this car. Interior, exterior, just enough power (but no extra). No money so forget it.

Used - all my choices are out of warranty, so I takut mati also.
2009 - 2010 Audi S4 B8 - 3.0L supercharged, fastest of all the cars here. I worry about maintenance only, and road tax is costly. But still can make it. This is my second fav choice here.

2012 BMW 320d Sport F30 - great fuel economy, great torque. 3 series not very refined, so the diesel clatter is somewhat noticeable. If I were to get a BMW diesel I'd rather take the 520d, as the 320d isn't that quick anyway. Since its slow, better be slow in comfort in at 520d

2012 BMW 520d F10 - Comfort, luxury, fuel economy. I don't need such a big car, feels like I'm driving a barge (or aircraft carrier). Feel very ah pek. But if I'm buying a 320d then this makes more sense.

2012 BMW 328i Sport F30 - Very powerful 2L turbo. I am leaning towards this choice. Out of my entire list and my requirements this seems to strike a balance between power (second most powerful here), comfort (less so than the 5 series and the C class, but no diesel clattering under the hood). That being said, if I were to choose the 328i, I'm thinking it may be sensible to wait till next year for the 2013 & 2014 328i M-Sport to come down in price, due to nicer kit.

Other choices I've considered:
Toyota Mark X : powerful, but not turbo powerful. Definitely comfortable but the fuel consumption for the power isn't on par with the other choices on the list.
Toyota Hybrid 2.5: EOL model, its been obsolete for ages.
Honda Accord: obsolete as well, as Honda is moving to turbo power.
Nissan Teana : hahahahahahaha
BMW 330e: battery lifespan & cost, if fuel economy is required the 320d and 520d are proven solid options. Memang cannot afford, just observation.
VW : service, support, reputation elimated itself from consideration.
Kia Optima GT: Lack of service centres versus the others, parts not as common as others on the list. And that price for a kimchi? They think they are on par with Honda and Toyota, must be kidding. Even the Mazda 3 full kit is sold for less than a Honda Civic. Don't know what Naza Kia smoking.

My conclusion is to wait until the Accord Type R is launched here, and see if Honda Malaysia is crazy or not. If its 10 speed auto at 180k-ish, can really consider. Otherwise the BMW 328i M Sport 2013/14 would come down in price for me to get it.

Input?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Your input can consider as an "advice for 1st time buyer" too :confused:
Not really, its tuned to my requirements and budget. I think for the average joe a Mazda 3 is a damn good car already.

Just that my sampan is more powerful than the Mazda 3. LOL.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'm very good at giving other people car buying advice, just not very good at giving myself advice.

What I want in my car, in terms of priority:
1.POWER
2.Comfort
3.Good looking

What I don't have:
1.Money, let's set a budget of RM150k +/-. Don't ask me to buy a used car at 150k, that's crazy. Used car service would cost minimum RM5k, all the fluids and oils, filters, bushings, absorbers etc.

My commentary: objective observation followed by subjective input.
New:
Mazda 3 - awesome car, too slow with 2.0 N/A engine. I like the design, the interior, love the features. I recommended this car to my friend and he bought it.
Honda Civic - hahaha CVT go die please. Interior is crap compared to Mazda 3, feels cheap.
Honda CR-V - most powerful in its class. CVT again but let me brainwash myself that this is an SUV so CVT is acceptable for a moment. I haven't seen the interior. sorry the rear is way too ugly, burn it with fire. Civic ketam I can barely accept. This is just ugly.
Mazda CX-5 facelift version - too slow with 2.0, too expensive buying price for 2.5L. Best looking vehicle of the entire bunch.
Honda Accord 10th gen - rumoured to have 2.0L turbo Civic Type R engine, give it the 10 speed auto gearbox and I'll buy it provided its around 180k. If Honda Malaysia sells only the 1.5L with CVT they can keep it, that's stupid.
Mercedes C200/C250 - I damn like this car. Interior, exterior, just enough power (but no extra). No money so forget it.

Used - all my choices are out of warranty, so I takut mati also.
2009 - 2010 Audi S4 B8 - 3.0L supercharged, fastest of all the cars here. I worry about maintenance only, and road tax is costly. But still can make it. This is my second fav choice here.

2012 BMW 320d Sport F30 - great fuel economy, great torque. 3 series not very refined, so the diesel clatter is somewhat noticeable. If I were to get a BMW diesel I'd rather take the 520d, as the 320d isn't that quick anyway. Since its slow, better be slow in comfort in at 520d

2012 BMW 520d F10 - Comfort, luxury, fuel economy. I don't need such a big car, feels like I'm driving a barge (or aircraft carrier). Feel very ah pek. But if I'm buying a 320d then this makes more sense.

2012 BMW 328i Sport F30 - Very powerful 2L turbo. I am leaning towards this choice. Out of my entire list and my requirements this seems to strike a balance between power (second most powerful here), comfort (less so than the 5 series and the C class, but no diesel clattering under the hood). That being said, if I were to choose the 328i, I'm thinking it may be sensible to wait till next year for the 2013 & 2014 328i M-Sport to come down in price, due to nicer kit.

Other choices I've considered:
Toyota Mark X : powerful, but not turbo powerful. Definitely comfortable but the fuel consumption for the power isn't on par with the other choices on the list.
Toyota Hybrid 2.5: EOL model, its been obsolete for ages.
Honda Accord: obsolete as well, as Honda is moving to turbo power.
Nissan Teana : hahahahahahaha
BMW 330e: battery lifespan & cost, if fuel economy is required the 320d and 520d are proven solid options. Memang cannot afford, just observation.
VW : service, support, reputation elimated itself from consideration.
Kia Optima GT: Lack of service centres versus the others, parts not as common as others on the list. And that price for a kimchi? They think they are on par with Honda and Toyota, must be kidding. Even the Mazda 3 full kit is sold for less than a Honda Civic. Don't know what Naza Kia smoking.

My conclusion is to wait until the Accord Type R is launched here, and see if Honda Malaysia is crazy or not. If its 10 speed auto at 180k-ish, can really consider. Otherwise the BMW 328i M Sport 2013/14 would come down in price for me to get it.

Input?
IMHO:

1st choice: the F30 328i. I agree that this is the best balance between performance, comfort, and style/image, just a bit concern on the reliability and maintenance side. The prices have been going down a lot, so this is the best option.

2nd choice: Mark X. :biggrin: Fuel consumption actually is still very good as you can still expect around 10-12km/ltr real world measured average (not just based on the econometer. If on econometer, many has reached >15km/ltr). Again almost perfect balance between all the criteria, plus it's very reliable, surely more so than those German cars or even some other Japanese, so I don't expect you'd spend 5k for initial repairs (Heck I've spent a lot less than that for repairs even after 5 yrs of ownership of my much older version!). The only down side is not too powerful but still faster than average and enough to easily outgun those current Camrys/Accords/Mazda 6s/Teanas. And if you have steel balls and good driving skill, many other faster cars will not easily keep up with you. Got many options to mod and make it better too.

3rd choice: Mazda 3 but yes, just too slow.

Note: just don't buy big cars with under powered engines like 2.0 N/A versions or you truly become a typical uncle! :biggrin:

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
I personally would go for the Mark X but it depends if you need the space of a SUV or not in the future.
If you feel that Mark X is too under powered, a BOT would cost less than a Banyak Makan Wang maintenance (the labour charge to change engine oil of a BMW and a Toyota will be different, even if you use the same type of engine oil...just because it is a BMW).

I believe Mark X is even more spacious than the 5-series and more comfortable.

I don't think you will need big boost from the existing 2.5L. It's a D-segment car and you are no Jason Statham :rofl:

Perhaps you can also consider certain Lexus models (can't suggest you any models as I'm not familiar with the pricing/models...it's out of my league). Just my 2 kupang.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
m a v [3] r i c k;1064698200 said:
I personally would go for the Mark X but it depends if you need the space of a SUV or not in the future.
If you feel that Mark X is too under powered, a BOT would cost less than a Banyak Makan Wang maintenance (the labour charge to change engine oil of a BMW and a Toyota will be different, even if you use the same type of engine oil...just because it is a BMW).

I don't think you will need big boost from the existing 2.5L. It's a D-segment car and you are no Jason Statham :rofl:

Perhaps you can also consider certain Lexus models (can't suggest you any models as I'm not familiar with the pricing/models...it's out of my league). Just my 2 kupang.
There's only a supercharger kit for Mark X, no BOT yet. Will cost around rm15k.
In the rear, Mark X has that big drive shaft tunnel, that's the main downside of the rear space.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
the current Civic Turbo is really good and i'd recommend it to all.
It's got good power, features, size, looks and more

fine it's a CVT and the force fed engine leans toward fc than actual thrill, although when it picks up speed, the civic really goes.

The drive experience which is damn important here and its handling are really good in my opinion.

If you can put aside your CVT hate, the Civic is a great candidate here

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

fine it's a CVT and the force fed engine leans toward fc than actual thrill, although when it picks up speed, the civic really goes.

The drive experience which is damn important here and its handling are really good in my opinion.

I have driven NA CVT, now must try turbo CVT see what difference.....lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Look.. Ixeo your review is purely your own. If you ask me I'd have a different opinion on everything.

But then again it'll depend on your priorities. As much as I detest Nissan now, the Teana is the class leader in size and comfort. Even the BMW and Merc are no match in terms of space, comfort in the same segment. And if you opt for the 3.5 V6 you'd be flying everywhere is the 'zero gravity' seats in very good safety and comfort. But the car is one mother fugly looking car.

I personally dislike the Mazdas because of the way they drive. I dunno - it just feels dead. But this is highly personal. You either like it or you don't. I don't.

And how on earth is the 320D slow???

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

People tell me the new Civic is twitchy because of the stiff chassis. It's a good thing if you ask me but why 1.5 though? Is this because of emissions?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
IMHO:

1st choice: the F30 328i. I agree that this is the best balance between performance, comfort, and style/image, just a bit concern on the reliability and maintenance side. The prices have been going down a lot, so this is the best option.

2nd choice: Mark X. :biggrin: Fuel consumption actually is still very good as you can still expect around 10-12km/ltr real world measured average (not just based on the econometer. If on econometer, many has reached >15km/ltr). Again almost perfect balance between all the criteria, plus it's very reliable, surely more so than those German cars or even some other Japanese, so I don't expect you'd spend 5k for initial repairs (Heck I've spent a lot less than that for repairs even after 5 yrs of ownership of my much older version!). The only down side is not too powerful but still faster than average and enough to easily outgun those current Camrys/Accords/Mazda 6s/Teanas. And if you have steel balls and good driving skill, many other faster cars will not easily keep up with you. Got many options to mod and make it better too.

3rd choice: Mazda 3 but yes, just too slow.

Note: just don't buy big cars with under powered engines like 2.0 N/A versions or you truly become a typical uncle! :biggrin:
Problem with Mark X, I only like the Gs version. And that costs like 160k recon? That's GS250 used territory.
http://www.mudah.my/2013+Lexus+GS250+2+5+A+LEXUS+MALAYSIA+CBU-53458472.htm

*TO ME* recon = used. And the GS250 is based on the New N platform, versus the Mark X on N platform. No reason NOT to take the GS250 for the same amount of money (versus the Mark X Gs)

m a v [3] r i c k;1064698200 said:

Won't bother modding this car...

There's only a supercharger kit for Mark X, no BOT yet. Will cost around rm15k.
In the rear, Mark X has that big drive shaft tunnel, that's the main downside of the rear space.
Same for BMW, the tunnel is unavoidable for RWD.

And my other friend bought the Civic. I feel the interior is inferior to the Mazda 3. Not saying its a bad car, but CVT isn't my cup of tea.

Look.. Ixeo your review is purely your own. If you ask me I'd have a different opinion on everything.

But then again it'll depend on your priorities. As much as I detest Nissan now, the Teana is the class leader in size and comfort. Even the BMW and Merc are no match in terms of space, comfort in the same segment. And if you opt for the 3.5 V6 you'd be flying everywhere is the 'zero gravity' seats in very good safety and comfort. But the car is one mother fugly looking car.

I personally dislike the Mazdas because of the way they drive. I dunno - it just feels dead. But this is highly personal. You either like it or you don't. I don't.

And how on earth is the 320D slow???
I like the look and design of the current Teana (LOL), but that 4 pot 2.5L? Worth a look if it was still the V6. Otherwise, the spec, kit and feature is behind the Camry Hybrid and Honda Accord. Not sure what's the sticker price for the 2.5L now.

3.5L? Dude, money don't grow on trees to pay road tax. I'd rather just bite the bullet and get the S4 with that 3L supercharge.

320D is SLOW, relative to the Audi S4 and the BMW 328i in the list. Speed is relative...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Problem with Mark X, I only like the Gs version. And that costs like 160k recon? That's GS250 used territory.
http://www.mudah.my/2013+Lexus+GS250+2+5+A+LEXUS+MALAYSIA+CBU-53458472.htm

*TO ME* recon = used. And the GS250 is based on the New N platform, versus the Mark X on N platform. No reason NOT to take the GS250 for the same amount of money (versus the Mark X Gs)

Hmm I actually not much of a fan for the Gs styling! It just looks too boy ricer-ish for me, big gaping open mouth in front with....NOTHING in it! If it has an intercooler for a supercharger or something then not so bad, the look fits the performance but if just normal 2.5ltr NA, the look overtakes the performance and becomes too ricer IMHO. I like the face lift GRX130 model (2012-2015) but the std styling, coz it looks more sophisticated and elegant, fitting the purpose of the car as a family sedan. Just add some nice skirting then will look perfect already.
http://www.mudah.my/2012+Toyota+Mark+X+2+5+SPORT+PACKAGE+UNREGISTERED-55123765.htm
http://www.mudah.my/2012+Toyota+Mark+X+2+5+SPORT+PACKAGE+UNREG-51368157.htm
http://www.mudah.my/2013+Toyota+Mark+X+2+5+A+PREMIUM+UNREG-55053133.htm

As for the GS250, well yes for that price might as well get a Lexus than a Toyota, but that's only if you compare to the Gs which I agree is over priced! Other lower versions like I posted above are quite a bit cheaper. I'm also not a fan of the current Lexus designs, especially that grill style. Worse are those again with the big black gaping open mouth grill from top to bottom, fugly! Lexus GS also is a heavier car so will be slower still. You buy Lexus only if you want to be totally pampered.

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
ixeo,

I've tested several car for daily replacement.
Been tested several time Honda CRV 2.4 (2016 4WD full spec) either for long distance/in town purposes.

U will get all your listed requirement above.
Power wise not bad in terms of torque,
Cruising speed and stability cant be denied.
U definitely can keep up with most car in touge.
Fuel economy are the best...:)
Comfort for probably new word for coming 40 series.

As I've been driving 4G63T for almost 9 years (till today).

I wish to buy the CRV as my escaped/relax daily car since I'm driving Hilux 2.5M for my daily.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
ixeo,

I've tested several car for daily replacement.
Been tested several time Honda CRV 2.4 (2016 4WD full spec) either for long distance/in town purposes.

U will get all your listed requirement above.
Power wise not bad in terms of torque,
Cruising speed and stability cant be denied.
U definitely can keep up with most car in touge.
Fuel economy are the best...:)
Comfort for probably new word for coming 40 series.

As I've been driving 4G63T for almost 9 years (till today).

I wish to buy the CRV as my escaped/relax daily car since I'm driving Hilux 2.5M for my daily.
Try the new one. It'll blow you away.
I still hate CVT. I can't get myself to buy something I don't like. Life's too short for that.

Hmm I actually not much of a fan for the Gs styling! It just looks too boy ricer-ish for me, big gaping open mouth in front with....NOTHING in it! If it has an intercooler for a supercharger or something then not so bad, the look fits the performance but if just normal 2.5ltr NA, the look overtakes the performance and becomes too ricer IMHO. I like the face lift GRX130 model (2012-2015) but the std styling, coz it looks more sophisticated and elegant, fitting the purpose of the car as a family sedan. Just add some nice skirting then will look perfect already.
http://www.mudah.my/2012+Toyota+Mark+X+2+5+SPORT+PACKAGE+UNREGISTERED-55123765.htm
http://www.mudah.my/2012+Toyota+Mark+X+2+5+SPORT+PACKAGE+UNREG-51368157.htm
http://www.mudah.my/2013+Toyota+Mark+X+2+5+A+PREMIUM+UNREG-55053133.htm

As for the GS250, well yes for that price might as well get a Lexus than a Toyota, but that's only if you compare to the Gs which I agree is over priced! Other lower versions like I posted above are quite a bit cheaper. I'm also not a fan of the current Lexus designs, especially that grill style. Worse are those again with the big black gaping open mouth grill from top to bottom, fugly! Lexus GS also is a heavier car so will be slower still. You buy Lexus only if you want to be totally pampered.
Hahaha, i really like the Gs' styling. GS250 is heavier, yes, and slower. 0-100km same as Mazda 3 2.0L.

Out of the list really 328i is the most practical balance between POWER and COMFORT. Continental maintenance costs more, no doubt about it. I love the 8 speed ZF in there.

Time to wait for one in Estoril Blue to pop up at the right price.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hahaha, i really like the Gs' styling. GS250 is heavier, yes, and slower. 0-100km same as Mazda 3 2.0L.

Out of the list really 328i is the most practical balance between POWER and COMFORT. Continental maintenance costs more, no doubt about it. I love the 8 speed ZF in there.

Time to wait for one in Estoril Blue to pop up at the right price.
I guess the Gs styling is more appealing to younger people like yourself. :) Almost everyone in our club also very much like that styling, except only maybe me (and I'm the oldest guy there too!).

Yes, that's why I mentioned above, the 328i F30 is the 1st choice IMHO. I were to change my X to another family sedan, that car would be my first target coz the others are just not interesting anymore (might as well just keep using my X rather than change). Not sure though if there's any nagging issue/flaw/weakness with this car.

That color is quite rare compared to others. You're aiming for those year 2014 above right?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

While driving, electronic parts already showing the power loss. Everything on and off because of loss of power. Things getting worst and the car start jerking and the RPM meter unstable. My home is not that far away so I push the car a little bit, working hard to reach home. I felt the car and engine working very hard when I press the pedal. Suddenly there is a sound like a blow up (like a fire with blow up sound) in the exhaust, everytime I push the pedal. Once I reach home, the engine is...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience