What can I do for some cheap performance.

Crimson Moon

Aug 20, 2005
Penang
Hi all,I'm new here & i dun know jack about cars. Anyway..., I finally save up enuff money to buy myself a Civic '99 (Auto). The car will be ready for me to pick up in a few days time, I like the price, like the outside of the car, but not too crazy about the engine, coz its a SOCH. i wanted to modify it but i've pretty much empty my bank account getting the car, plus I didn't sold my old Wira coz wanna keep it just for extra incase my family needs it. So rite now I hav around RM4k - RM 5k budget left to spend on the Civic. and here's the question : what can I do for some cheap performance with that small amount of money ?? please me out guys. Thanks

boosook

Known Member
Jul 14, 2005
Shah Alam
well...are u going for the performance or the visuals?...if ur not going for the performance then u can mod the looks...maybe wit some bodykits..change to a sport rims..change muffler..heheh... :biggrin: if u change all that ur car will have the sporty looks oledi...hehehe..

Crimson Moon

Aug 20, 2005
Penang
Well.... the car has bodykits install already, it also has a nice looking muffler on it.Except for the Braking system. I’ve made the shop owner do lots of stuff for me, something like checking the CV joints Suspension bushings, bearings Air filter, oil filter, oil change, transmission oil, PS oil, Power steering system, steering rack, tie rod ends, at 1st he offer the car to me for RM64k then discount it to RM61k, so I told him that I dun want the discount but he has to do all those stuff for me, he even agree to change the rims & tyres for me, the car came with a 17” rims & low profile tyres, I ask him to change it to a 16” for me, coz 17” tyres too $$ for me. So I guess I hav to change the rear drum brakes to a Disc brake right ?? how much would it cost ?? & wat’s a good one ??
Oh yeah..., and I’ll be bring along a mechanic to make sure that everything’s all rite, b4 I take the car.

EVO3gsr

Known Member
Jul 22, 2005
KL
from 17 to 16??? u gotta get the 17 n sell it urself then buy 16....worthy.....

since ur car half mods....try to tinted it if not yet done

servise ur car with Q8....better response n got kind of flushing function....

brake oil change if dirty....flush it....

rear brake not necesary to change to discbrake unless u change engine....sohc engine not tat powerful...drumbrake stil can hold it...

Crimson Moon

Aug 20, 2005
Penang
it's oledi tinted, the 17" tyres r kinda worn out, so I dun think can sell, just the rims can sell only. i let the shop owner do this coz he can make money out of it so he can do all the other stuff for me. the car will be service b4 I get it.
I just want to make it perform a lilttle bit better, and oh yeah, the air filter has been change oledi, I dunno wat brand but i think that shape is call a cone.
so wat else can I do to get more performance out of RM4k - RM5k ??

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
do basic service for ur car first lo... later only think about mods...
if u car already serviced, try patch up some leaks and rust (if there are)... coz usually 2nd hand cars are kinda old...

boosook

Known Member
Jul 14, 2005
Shah Alam
Crimson Moon said:
Well.... the car has bodykits install already, it also has a nice looking muffler on it.Except for the Braking system. I’ve made the shop owner do lots of stuff for me, something like checking the CV joints Suspension bushings, bearings Air filter, oil filter, oil change, transmission oil, PS oil, Power steering system, steering rack, tie rod ends, at 1st he offer the car to me for RM64k then discount it to RM61k, so I told him that I dun want the discount but he has to do all those stuff for me, he even agree to change the rims & tyres for me, the car came with a 17” rims & low profile tyres, I ask him to change it to a 16” for me, coz 17” tyres too $$ for me. So I guess I hav to change the rear drum brakes to a Disc brake right ?? how much would it cost ?? & wat’s a good one ??
Oh yeah..., and I’ll be bring along a mechanic to make sure that everything’s all rite, b4 I take the car.
if u wanna change the back to disc brake go to halfcut shop better...its cheap and can consider good if u choos ethe rite wan..hehehe :biggrin:

boosook

Known Member
Jul 14, 2005
Shah Alam
4k-5k...if u wan good performance...do an engine transplant first lo as a start..then slowly mod..for further info as ppl who owns honda...hehe

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
hmm, a worth while upgrade of can enigne to to install a b16A in it, but with Rm5K budget, i suggest you just keep it just in case things turns up not too good :D get what i mean?? cause an engine transplant is not cheap, especially since its a honda ;D maybe just do a full service and check up of your car before doing a mod :D

and erm, since you getting it from a shop, take it home and send it to a mech to do another check again, cause i had the same experiance, i got the car, the mech at the seller there said the car is okie, good condition and such, then i brought it to my regular mech and i had to do an engine transplant as the blocked cracked already, so more money went out there, so i suggest you keep the extra cash just in case something like my case happens :D and:( congrats on gettig a new car too :D

Last edited:

Crimson Moon

Aug 20, 2005
Penang
Ok, i'll keep that in mind. so here's wat I'm gonna do, I'll take it to a good mech shop (there isn't much of those in Penang thou) ask him to check everything to see if there're good. Then I'll get an engine transplant rite ?? how much do u guys think i would hav to spend on it, coz i just remember I still hav my credit cards :biggrin: i never really used them b4, i should be able to fork out another RM7k, will that be enuff for the whole operation ?? How & where can I get a good used B16A ?? :rolleyes:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
after u do whole body check for ur car and ur mech say ur engine still in good condition, dun transplant first lo... use till u fedup with the underpower engine... now u still getting used to the car ma...
my advice after do servicing, do some interior or exterior refurnish... put some ICE inside...

well, of coz the choice is with u... if u so eager to have an engine transplant, go for it... scout around chopshop area and see where got lo... found ur target adi, ask ur mech come along check out the engine...

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
hmm, i heard the last time someone did a b16a transplant plus some mods, cost him around 11K for the whole job, i duno wether its just the transplant itself or totally done up, but i guess its around 8K to be safe :D the last time my mech did a b16a(A), small v, costed the fella around 5K i think, but yeah, like what skywalker said, get used to the car first, then till the engine dies(overhaul or konged) then only think of getting a transplant, like myself, im using a 1.3 engine, not satisfied with the power, modded it step by step(student style is alwiz like that wan, alwiz shortage of $$), and even tho ive trashed the engine kidna bad(highrevs sometimes, eg: carb tuning, high speed testing and also shootout event) but my engine still lives, cause i meantain it properly, like oil change and all, but i bet when i clocked enough milage on it, it soon will have to reach its age, only by then i hope i have enough cash to do a transplant, like what most budget modders would say, if your engine is still running fine, leave it be, cause once you have transplanted(unless you get a whole new engine from the factory), the engine you got might also give you problems, so if your current engine is running fine, leave it be :D i bet it would serve you well if you take care of it :D then slowly mod to your liking :D like extractors and all that, gives you more time to bond with the car :D

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
crimson moon,
other forummers have said it once, i'll say it again, fully service the car, make sure everything's fine. actually you should downgrade to 15"s they'd give you better drivability. if you really want to mod your car, i'd suggest this in no particular order:

1. 15" rims with good tyres like bfgoodrich = RM 1440
2. TiTaN suspensions = RM 3000 (without pillowball mounting for the front)
3. Mintex brakepads = RM 500 (rough estimate)
4. Q8 Oils = RM 170 (F1 fully synthetic)
5. SSCUS Semi Buckets = RM 1000 (driver+passenger)

i guess that should keep you pretty happy till you've got enough money for a b16a or b18c...mmmmm :D

oh do the rims then suspensions first. cause then you'd get the suspensions to match the rims due to the downgrade (if you want la)

however, it would be wise to just service the car and wait till more funds (cash...not credit) arrive. i wouldn't suggest using your credit card to pay for an engine transplant.

good luck with your car :)

boosook

Known Member
Jul 14, 2005
Shah Alam
i suggest u not to do ICE for now...coz alot of ppl breaking in cars and steal the ICEs..
and ICE need alot of money to spend...

boosook

Known Member
Jul 14, 2005
Shah Alam
B16A is around 6k...my bro just did his transplant to his city...but auto la...if manual more expensive...6k together wit installing wan...diff place diff price wan...im not sure how much izit in penang tho.. :wink:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Reporting for my friend, the car was stolen last night unfortunately.

Satria GTi, WJF 7373.

If seen, pls call 012 933 4873.

Just helping a friend. I dont have much info about it.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience