Weird Caster Value

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
As a follow up

Quick question.

My car's alignment lari very fast. Last weekend has my alignment done at shop A, then drove to shop B to do my oil change. I noticed alignment wasn't that great, so I drove to shop C (Near my place) to redo the alignment.

Here's some of the things I found.

Shop A - Replaced rims, adjusted camber on passenger side to about -1.7°, while the driver side is -1.5°. Alignment was also done here.
Shop B - Some 50km away (Puchong), just did oil change, nothing more.
Shop C - Near my home, they checked my alignment and camber, and said camber lari, as the passenger side, camber lari till -2.7°, and toe lari some 8°. (Which explains why the steering needs to angle a lot baru can go straight). Shop C did my alignment, but I told them not to touch my camber

After driving off from Shop C, steering have to angle right a bit, as the car was pulling left (slightly). Was worse earlier.

So, what could be the cause? Different shops have different equipment, that I know. But such huge discrepancy from shop to shop? Camber bolt rosak? Worn bushings? Worn tie rods?

A bit more, went up and down Genting, alignment did not lari, just that it's rather annoying having the need to angle my steering to keep straight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
As a follow up

Quick question.

My car's alignment lari very fast. Last weekend has my alignment done at shop A, then drove to shop B to do my oil change. I noticed alignment wasn't that great, so I drove to shop C (Near my place) to redo the alignment.

Here's some of the things I found.

Shop A - Replaced rims, adjusted camber on passenger side to about -1.7°, while the driver side is -1.5°. Alignment was also done here.
Shop B - Some 50km away (Puchong), just did oil change, nothing more.
Shop C - Near my home, they checked my alignment and camber, and said camber lari, as the passenger side, camber lari till -2.7°, and toe lari some 8°. (Which explains why the steering needs to angle a lot baru can go straight). Shop C did my alignment, but I told them not to touch my camber

After driving off from Shop C, steering have to angle right a bit, as the car was pulling left (slightly). Was worse earlier.

So, what could be the cause? Different shops have different equipment, that I know. But such huge discrepancy from shop to shop? Camber bolt rosak? Worn bushings? Worn tie rods?

A bit more, went up and down Genting, alignment did not lari, just that it's rather annoying having the need to angle my steering to keep straight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

machine calibration!

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
does your steering sometime pulls left and rigt on uneven road?

long time ago i went throug a super hole on the road on my lowered suspension and stock 14inch rim plus michelin certis tire.
it was so nad that only a loud 'kung' is heard.check everything when reach home.and can see mark on the rim which shows the tire actually compressed till flat and leave mark on the rim.
both tire,rim,allignment survive the horror.

recent incident with the kenari oso was very2 lucky.
cant see the pot hole until the last minute but decided not to do hard braking and sudden swerve as my wife's sister is carrying her few month old baby as the back.this time 'kuk' sound.
tire,rim,allignment survice the mishap.the center cap does not though.

Last edited:

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
does your steering sometime pulls left and rigt on uneven road?

long time ago i went throug a super hole on the road on my lowered suspension and stock 14inch rim plus michelin certis tire.
it was so nad that only a loud 'kung' is heard.check everything when reach home.and can see mark on the rim which shows the tire actually compressed till flat and leave mark on the rim.
both tire,rim,allignment survive the horror.

recent incident with the kenari oso was very2 lucky.
cant see the pot hole until the last minute but decided not to do hard braking and sudden swerve as my wife's sister is carrying her few month old baby as the back.this time 'kuk' sound.
tire,rim,allignment survice the mishap.the center cap does not though.
Rough road yet, uneven not so. Car pulls left now.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My ex Wira did not survive one big hole while coming back from outstation using Federal route. Front and back went thru' that hole, kluk, kluk, came back, next day send for alignment check, both left side that went in camber out....:banghead:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Only potholes. Last major accident was 2 years ago. Kena engine, mostly.
Potholes usually camber and alignment will run. Very rare caster angle, as that is wheel forward / backward angle.

try check your lower arm bushing....especially the main bushes...

if replaced still gave same reading i think your subframe/chassis actually lari a bit during accident involved the engine back then...

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
try check your lower arm bushing....especially the main bushes...

if replaced still gave same reading i think your subframe/chassis actually lari a bit during accident involved the engine back then...
Funny because the problem happened right around the same time I hit that pothole.

After the accident things were relatively ok.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
have a look at the steering rack bush.if u are on stock tire size and the bush are worn out then it might solve the steering wondering issu and allignment issue.

the weird caster thing,i dunno.maybe some bush are damage during the impact.hard to check without making tedious inspection on each link.
for the chassis to lari a bit is hard as if the impact happen on the tire,there are lots of bush and link that will absorb the impsct first.unless the impact is so hsrd on the engine as it pulls on tye mounting soo hard that slight movement is caused.

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
have a look at the steering rack bush.if u are on stock tire size and the bush are worn out then it might solve the steering wondering issu and allignment issue.

the weird caster thing,i dunno.maybe some bush are damage during the impact.hard to check without making tedious inspection on each link.
for the chassis to lari a bit is hard as if the impact happen on the tire,there are lots of bush and link that will absorb the impsct first.unless the impact is so hsrd on the engine as it pulls on tye mounting soo hard that slight movement is caused.
My steering rack bush already replaced with PU ones.

I got my mech friend to check out, he said its fine :confused:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
not sure abt pu but i amnon stock rubber replacement and i put a piece of timing belt.between the bust and bracket to make it a bit tighter and last longer.