Ways to make the door feel solid when closed...

KGhee

Feb 9, 2008
Hi, currently driving satria-gti, with a non-original driver's door (feels heavier than the original one on the passenger side). Don't have the "thump" feeling when closing it...any good ways on how to fix it or least makes it more bearable?

Thought of the following; change back to ori-sgti door (most exp), soundproof the door?; auto-foam the door?

Appreciate the feedback!

ExODus

Known Member
May 14, 2006
I thought all Satria's doors are the same... From ur statement, seems like the Gti are equipped with the different set of doors... Is it? The non-original door come from what model? Satria or Mirage?

KGhee

Feb 9, 2008
I'm not too sure whether all the satria models have the same door. On the non-ori door, i think its from a Satria (not exactly sure since i bought it 2nd-hand about a year ago).

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
normally if it sounds more like a garbage can closing, chances are its using 1.3 soundproofing which is minimal for weight reduction purposes. you can opt for some sound dampening material n diy behind the door trim.

SR3 uses 1.3 sound-proofing n wind noise is very obvious..but fast

KGhee

Feb 9, 2008
Yeah, it does sound like garbage can closing...not that you mentioned it. Will consider looking into sound dampening material then. Wonder if the ori gti door has sound a thicker sound dampening material?...Will probably open up and check for myself...

ham_m2

500 RPM
Feb 9, 2007
Klang/KL
www.friendster.com
Yeah, it does sound like garbage can closing...not that you mentioned it. Will consider looking into sound dampening material then. Wonder if the ori gti door has sound a thicker sound dampening material?...Will probably open up and check for myself...
there is a possibilty...did u buy an accident car?coz when u buy secondhand car,u dont really know what had happened to the ride...
Coz last 4 years back,my parents purchase a 2nd hand Perdana V6...the drivers door are like lighter than the co-driver's door...n when close it sound like garbage can...N when driving it,the sound of the wind is more louder than the co-driver's side...

KGhee

Feb 9, 2008
Yup, its not a totally accident free when i bought my ride. Just trying to see what options are there to improve on the "garbage" can sound effect :).

SachSeelan

Known Member
Oct 18, 2008
Area25
its the same door la..bmw 318i and M3 also using same door...

ok, now back to ur question, most car doors will start to sag as it ages, due to many reasons. ie: how the owner handles his car wt care or not, water sipping in over the years will make ur door panel saggy as its made from foam or fabric, broken clips, pumping stereo, rust..etc etc

since urs is gone, i suggest you find a new door panel, or you can actually DIY it by opening it up and giving it some cleaning, replacing broken clips putting all wires back in place etc, however this is only if ur door panels are not "swollen" due to aging...

if you have big pumping speakers, this will also cause ur door panels inside screws etc to loosen up over time due to heavy vibration. so if you hv powerfull speakers, after you do all the above, insulate the door wt sufficient good quality foam AKA sound proofing.. much cheaper if you DIY it.. sound proofing could cost you a bomb at accesorry shops...

good luck!!:biggrin:

ExODus

Known Member
May 14, 2006
What PocketRocket is true... The soundproofing for every cc is different... I was told by a friend, that the 1.6 door got sponges inside of it... while the 1.3 got none...

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
wanna have a more solid feel when closing the door, u shud look for bitumen strips. very dense and good for diy-ing. u understand ur car more when u diy.

if u can, try to look for the rubber door lining..bro Sach has a point on its wear n tear.

Sep 17, 2008
yup... and u can get it for either chopshop or any spare part shop...i change mine frm a spare part shop..brandnew

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, just a quick one here.....

Question: Are you the same Petrolhead after you have married, or once having a relationship with a woman? Did you miss anything about cars now, compared to when you were single?

I just met up my old buddy from NZ, and his car life changed so much once he is into a relationship with a girl now.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience