Wastegate Explained.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
speed2horizon, would like to ask u a silly question

what are the differences can be found between turbosmart and tial wastegate

much appreciated
ehemm ehmm... Tial wastegate piston and shaft are separate piece and can be dismentled. They are in 2 pieces. In long run there are possibility that the fitting might get worned out by the pressure, temperature and continuous movement during turbo spools. But this might happen after years...

the turbosmart piston n shaft is a one piece. No chances of getting lose, which is what I prefer. They also claimed that they flow better due to the bigger exhaust buffer volume and the effect is less chances of spiking.

However, both are great wastegate to be used.

That's all I know. Sorry for the limited knowledge.

rakesh_v6

Mar 31, 2006
KL
tats okay,u had explained well...at the moment am using tial but am kinda keen for turbosmart.i have been reading forums bout it and found out not many differences between both of them...kinda confused shall i change it or no :idea:

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
speed2horizon, would like to ask u a silly question

what are the differences can be found between turbosmart and tial wastegate

much appreciated
the turbosmart waste gate and tial wastegate difference not much at low boost,if u boost 1bar u can feel the tail wastegate spike till 1.1 bar,that one i can sure,if turbosmart wastegate wont got that shit thing,if u use vp racing or methanol or hi boost your tial wastegate 100% will harm!!!

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
tats okay,u had explained well...at the moment am using tial but am kinda keen for turbosmart.i have been reading forums bout it and found out not many differences between both of them...kinda confused shall i change it or no :idea:
I am even more confused now... Why would U change something that is already serving U well. Only change it if Ur Tial spoil.

This is one of the fatest racing machine in SDB. Clocked <10secs. It also uses Tial...

What's wrong with it that U need to change it when it's working fine..?

contreasjun27

9,000 RPM
Oct 21, 2004
subang
Visit site
I am even more confused now... Why would U change something that is already serving U well. Only change it if Ur Tial spoil.

This is one of the fatest racing machine in SDB. Clocked <10secs. It also uses Tial...

What's wrong with it that U need to change it when it's working fine..?
haha Rich mah thats why can change like that keke...
maybe color is the problem...thats why need to change color keke

rakesh_v6

Mar 31, 2006
KL
naa i was told by someone that tial aint reliable and it does spike...after ur explanation i have some clear picture..thanks for the info speed..much appreciated

KRZ8v

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Aug 31, 2009
KL/Subang Jaya
Well, it works the same way like ur internal wastegate. At low boost, the wastegate releases more exhaust gasses, at high boost, the exhaust gas is used to turn the turbine remaining less exhaust to exit through the wastegate.

However, due to the price difference of 38mm and 44/45mm wastegate, most of the ppl will get a 38mm. They'll work fine.

The best place to mount ur wastegate is where the stock internal flap is. Get the flap removed buy a customize flange with 2 holes. 1 hole foe turbine exducer and 1 hole for wastegate. Extend the hole for wastegat. With a 1 1/2" schedule 10 pipe and mount ur wastegate there. Remember to port the hole on the turbine housing to 38mm to suit ur wastegate. If u doesn't like the noise of the wastegate, u may vent to wastegate outlet back into the downpipe.

An alternative location would be removing the flap on ur manifold outlet and mount the wastegate at the centre of the hole with the wastegate inlet pipe on top of the manifold. Please make sure the fabricator knock off all the welding flux and left overs COMPLETELY. If not handle propey, it may comes out later and damage ur turbine fin later.

I have mine mounted between runner 1 n 2. But I bored a 38mm hole, shape the manifod flat at the place where I mount my wastegate, then weld the wastegate flange on the flat surface. My welding is only at the top of the manifold.

Hope it helps.
Thanks bro....:adore:

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
if u got boost over 2bar exp with tial wastegate and turbosmart then u will know about that,the faster is not wastegate problem is turbo and engine tune setup problem,the user have been try turbosmart and tial wastegate before will understand my word~the low boost user or newbie user very hard to know that,we will prove it at sepang drag this years

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

cause my self also is turbosmart user,wont trust me can go turbo smart forum see the turbosmart waste is vp racing race gas or full methanol family or not,but i did't not see tial wastegate website have explain anything...

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
chill guys, dont fight
the only problem with tial is , tial in malaysia are mostly not original
im also running turbosmart , speed2horizon is also running one
i faced problems with the turbosmart bt was solved with help of sdf with lil tweak of spring rates
one more issue in malaysia is choose the wrong size of wastegate n etc

tials are proven same as turbosmart :) we are still far slower than the other cars in US who is running on tials, they run higher boost than nearly all sepang cars

john shepherd 7sec 4g63
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v288/197/78/19738257875/n19738257875_731187_7600.jpg

evil eagle 8sec 4g6x
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/1/0/2/1/2/2007build032_1.jpg

twicks 9sec 4g9x
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/2/8/7/2/3/4.jpg

so dont worry guys, its ur choice , i head for turbosmart becos i want to avoid the fake tials

KRZ8v

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Aug 31, 2009
KL/Subang Jaya
Just for your information, get a bigger midbox and exhaust system before the heat and back pressure damage ur O2 sensors and turbine. 2.5" for a 1.6 will be good...
Oh, my o2 sensor is not plug in btw. Its juz mounted there to plug the hole:biggrin: 2.5"??? Hmmmm.... not too big meh???:hmmmm:

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
chill guys, dont fight
i faced problems with the turbosmart bt was solved with help of sdf with lil tweak of spring rates

tials are proven same as turbosmart :) we are still far slower than the other cars in US who is running on tials, they run higher boost than nearly all sepang cars

john shepherd 7sec 4g63
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v288/197/78/19738257875/n19738257875_731187_7600.jpg

evil eagle 8sec 4g6x

twicks 9sec 4g9x

so dont worry guys, its ur choice , i head for turbosmart becos i want to avoid the fake tials
the picture picture look like hehe,but anyway u got the point already..

Last edited:

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
me too bro..just to avoid the fake tial in the market.I really unable to differantiate the fake and the ori tial.

price wise more a less the same.. so just try out turbosmart and it serves well

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
chill guys, dont fight

john shepherd 7sec 4g63

evil eagle 8sec 4g6x

twicks 9sec 4g9x

U came in at the right time babe.... I was just looking for the pictures... I thought the STWANGAN's 9 secs 4G63T is impressive enough.. But it isn't...

OUT OF TOPIC A LITTLE, Bro.... I changed my Satria's leg from Japanese T to Local T already... Felt SUPERB.... Haven't been having this kinda feeling for a long time...

Oh, my o2 sensor is not plug in btw. Its juz mounted there to plug the hole:biggrin: 2.5"??? Hmmmm.... not too big meh???:hmmmm:
Wow.... Unplugging the O2 sensor will make ur car runs Open Loop all the time. No AFR feeback to the ECU. It'll increase the fuel consumption of your engine.

In turbocharged engine, we have before tubine and after turbine exhaust. So, big exhaust is not a problem. 2.5" is just nice for a spirited driving 1.6 supercharged engine... If you wanna prepare for higher boost application, U may opt for 2.8".. But too bad, this size is very RARE in Malaysia....

me too bro..just to avoid the fake tial in the market.I really unable to differantiate the fake and the ori tial.

price wise more a less the same.. so just try out turbosmart and it serves well
Not the story anymore... Turbosmart price went up by RM500 for the 45mm within the past few months... Kekeke....

I opted for the TS because of the
color and shape
finishing
smaller community
single piece valve(2nd most important factor)
immitation of TiAL(The most important factor)

Cheers..

Last edited:

KRZ8v

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Aug 31, 2009
KL/Subang Jaya
@speed2horizon

Yup.... dats y most of the time weekends only I'll drive the car.... The car is not environmental friendly and economical... 1 2 overtake oso exhaust smoke like Pajero diesel hahahahahaa..... Maybe I'll opt for 2.5" piping when my old rusted piping start to give way...

Thanks alot for the info btw... cheers

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Garmin Mobile XT In Your Car~ZTH EXCLUSIVE~

DEMO VIDEO ON NOKIA 5800 ...​
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience