Wastegate Explained.

r_monstar

Known Member
Dec 31, 2008
malaysia
thanks, now i can sleep better. knowing the car can boost..heehehe...(before this max at 1.5 bar, old w/gate and old ext.manifold)

blitz3r

Dec 7, 2006
hey guys... i nd some help... i recently brought my car 2 a workshop 4 a check n he told me my waste closes 2 slow n late... so i cant get a high boost... wat can i do 2 decrese d time of d waste gate opening n closing bside changing d whole unit....
im using an implanted 2jz... stock turbos...
realli nd help...thx... stil a newbie=p

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
blitzer..more info on your turbo and your wastegate / actuator please.
What boost you running now and what boost you intend to run it to ?
what boost controller you have now ?

Bump: blitzer..more info on your turbo and your wastegate / actuator please.
What boost you running now and what boost you intend to run it to ?
what boost controller you have now ?

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Hey guys.hope u can help me explain this.having a stock GSR engine with a GSR RS chip.All running stock.I am thinking of mating a 44mm wastegate(which i already have).will this be ok?i keep hearing about the wastegate spring.do i need to do any modification since i'm running stock?

Bump: Hey guys.hope u can help me explain this.having a stock GSR engine with a GSR RS chip.All running stock.I am thinking of mating a 44mm wastegate(which i already have).will this be ok?i keep hearing about the wastegate spring.do i need to do any modification since i'm running stock?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hey guys.hope u can help me explain this.having a stock GSR engine with a GSR RS chip.All running stock.I am thinking of mating a 44mm wastegate(which i already have).will this be ok?i keep hearing about the wastegate spring.do i need to do any modification since i'm running stock?

Bump: Hey guys.hope u can help me explain this.having a stock GSR engine with a GSR RS chip.All running stock.I am thinking of mating a 44mm wastegate(which i already have).will this be ok?i keep hearing about the wastegate spring.do i need to do any modification since i'm running stock?
Well, 38mm or 44mm, it depends on the wastegate spring whether it opens at 0.7 bars, 1 bars or etc... When u have everything stock, GSR turbo boost at 0.7bars. So, if you have a wastegate with 0.7 bars spring rate, they should be the same. Wastegate has a better boost consistency compare to the stock internal actuator.

So, first thing u need to find out is the spring rate of your wastegate...

evo5755

Known Member
Jan 11, 2004
Well, 38mm or 44mm, it depends on the wastegate spring whether it opens at 0.7 bars, 1 bars or etc... When u have everything stock, GSR turbo boost at 0.7bars. So, if you have a wastegate with 0.7 bars spring rate, they should be the same. Wastegate has a better boost consistency compare to the stock internal actuator.

So, first thing u need to find out is the spring rate of your wastegate...
Sorry i am newbie here. What is boost consistency?:biggrin::biggrin:

How do you actually measure or justify the difference for actuator/internal wastegate vs external wastegate? What is the pro and con for the 2 items which does the same job?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Sorry i am newbie here. What is boost consistency?:biggrin::biggrin:

How do you actually measure or justify the difference for actuator/internal wastegate vs external wastegate? What is the pro and con for the 2 items which does the same job?
Boost consistency is just a term i used to describe about stability of the boost. I.e. no boost spike/fluctuation when full boost.

INTERNAL WASTEGATE

It's normally used by OEM's turbo. However, Internal wastegate is actuated by an actuator that is mounted on the turbo itself. The thing that looks like Popeye's pipe with an extended rod. As time goes by, there will be problem with actuator spring strength, diaphragm leaks and other issues. But new actuator is not easy to find and expensive, but secondhand actuator depends so much on the luck of buying... So, most of the people will prefer the external wastegate.

EXTERNAL WASTEGATE

or as the picture by sdf.

The boost is more stable due to better quality spring. And if there is anything wrong with the spring or diaphragm, those things are replaceable. Most of the ppl will have the wastepipe exposed to the environment to reduce the restriction within the exhaust piping. When external wastegate is actuated, the excess exhaust goes through the wastepipe and create sound like lorry/exhaust bocor. Some ppl call likes it. But I call it noise... Just personal preference.

However, the wastepipe can also be directed back into the main exhaust pipe unit. But will create minor performance loss that u may not even feel/realize.
And for most people, they install external wastegate is more for the "noise" and the look... But for me, i'll install it when my actuator goes to heaven...

Or maybe when i wanna upboost and boost stability is required...

Last edited:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
hehehe, im still looking for a inside pics of tial vs turbosmart, i know turbosmart has its advantage, bt yet to find the pics

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
hehehe, im still looking for a inside pics of tial vs turbosmart, i know turbosmart has its advantage, bt yet to find the pics
Bro, i think we should look for the internal pictures of China/imitation wastegate and the Original wastegate so that people can differentiate and justify why go for oris....

It'll be more beneficial to everyone...

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Thanks speed2horizon for ur explanation. :biggrin: i kinda have a imitation tial wastegate and wondering how will i know what the spring rate rating is since no instruction manuals.:confused:
care to elaborate? My ori actuator is running fine after i got my boost meter recently after 2 yrs of driving my turbo.:driver: didn't notice any boost spike but feel itchy wanna fix the wastegate.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Thanks speed2horizon for ur explanation. :biggrin: i kinda have a imitation tial wastegate and wondering how will i know what the spring rate rating is since no instruction manuals.:confused:
care to elaborate? My ori actuator is running fine after i got my boost meter recently after 2 yrs of driving my turbo.:driver: didn't notice any boost spike but feel itchy wanna fix the wastegate.
Miahahaha... bontot gatal ye... Actually from what I heard, the biggest problem with the imitation was the diaphragm which is made of rubber that has direct contact with the exhaust gas. Then the rubber kong kah liao... cause leakage. But i heard some of the later version Tial style uses silicon diaphragm which is more heat resistance...

The next issue about the imitation i heard was the spring will soften after use. Cause the spring material they use is also not heat resistance. Again, just like when we all started playing cars... WE chop our suspension spring for lowering, or we go for spring compression. We heat up the spring and the compress it, the the spring will deform and become shorter. Same case lor....

But imitation being imitation. We shouldn;t compare 2 similar look product that have dramatic cost difference.

But what jinkl was trying to say is the internals design of the wastegate.

evo5755

Known Member
Jan 11, 2004
Boost consistency is just a term i used to describe about stability of the boost. I.e. no boost spike/fluctuation when full boost.

INTERNAL WASTEGATE

It's normally used by OEM's turbo. However, Internal wastegate is actuated by an actuator that is mounted on the turbo itself. The thing that looks like Popeye's pipe with an extended rod. As time goes by, there will be problem with actuator spring strength, diaphragm leaks and other issues. But new actuator is not easy to find and expensive, but secondhand actuator depends so much on the luck of buying... So, most of the people will prefer the external wastegate.

EXTERNAL WASTEGATE

or as the picture by sdf.

The boost is more stable due to better quality spring. And if there is anything wrong with the spring or diaphragm, those things are replaceable. Most of the ppl will have the wastepipe exposed to the environment to reduce the restriction within the exhaust piping. When external wastegate is actuated, the excess exhaust goes through the wastepipe and create sound like lorry/exhaust bocor. Some ppl call likes it. But I call it noise... Just personal preference.

However, the wastepipe can also be directed back into the main exhaust pipe unit. But will create minor performance loss that u may not even feel/realize.
And for most people, they install external wastegate is more for the "noise" and the look... But for me, i'll install it when my actuator goes to heaven...

Or maybe when i wanna upboost and boost stability is required...
Thanks for the information explained for everyone knowledge. :biggrin:

So you mentioned that with time, problem will occur to the spring and diaphragm of the actuator. the internal wastegate is made of spring inside and it controls the flap to release the exhaust gas on the turbo hotside.

Whereas for external wastegate, it comprises of spring and diaphragm too, but with exhaust gas flowing through the external wastegate itself. So i think it will be very hot.

If time goes by, if the problem occurs to the spring, does the external wastegate wear out way much faster than actuator because external wastegate has so much heat in it? Does this mean actuator is LESS reliable than external wastegate?

Just to share on this point on why people opt to change external wastegate. Of course the biggest reason is sound and look for most people. :biggrin: But how about the actual functionality vs the orignial actuator?

Bump:
i am using turbosmart now. I know what is the advantage. It looks more cool, smaller, and lighter. :rofl:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Thanks for the information explained for everyone knowledge. :biggrin:

So you mentioned that with time, problem will occur to the spring and diaphragm of the actuator. the internal wastegate is made of spring inside and it controls the flap to release the exhaust gas on the turbo hotside.

Whereas for external wastegate, it comprises of spring and diaphragm too, but with exhaust gas flowing through the external wastegate itself. So i think it will be very hot.

If time goes by, if the problem occurs to the spring, does the external wastegate wear out way much faster than actuator because external wastegate has so much heat in it? Does this mean actuator is LESS reliable than external wastegate?

Just to share on this point on why people opt to change external wastegate. Of course the biggest reason is sound and look for most people. :biggrin: But how about the actual functionality vs the orignial actuator?

Bump:

i am using turbosmart now. I know what is the advantage. It looks more cool, smaller, and lighter. :rofl:
Erm... the internals of the external wastegate designed to take heat. The price justifies... The boost stability is well controlled compare to the actuator.

Well, the actuator is uses diaphragm which i don't know what the material is. But it leaks when it's getting old. If I have time, I'll postmortem it. miahaha...

Btw, Jinkl is trying to say the design of the both wastegates' internal. Not the look and the so called lighter... =.=" give him some time to find the picture... And u'll know...

Last edited:

evo5755

Known Member
Jan 11, 2004
Erm... the internals of the external wastegate designed to take heat. The price justifies... The boost stability is well controlled compare to the actuator.

Well, the actuator is uses diaphragm which i don't know what the material is. But it leaks when it's getting old. If I have time, I'll postmortem it. miahaha...

Btw, Jinkl is trying to say the design of the both wastegates' internal. Not the look and the so called lighter... =.=" give him some time to find the picture... And u'll know...
Well, i have never met any of my friends that have faulty actuator. I am also curious to know, how old is old?hehehe..Those people that always tell me boost creep or they like to say "fei boost" are either those using imitation wastegate or a few using "tulang ikan" stuff...It is good if you can post mortem your faulty actuator. then can take alook whats inside that goes faulty..

Ya i kno what jin mean. Was just trying to joke abit la..:biggrin::biggrin:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
The internal wastegate consists of an flapper door that allows exhaust gas to bypass the the turbine blade, thus regulating the amount of boost created.

An external wastegate is a separate unit from the turbocharger, located on the exhaust header/manifold between the engine and the turbo. Regulating boost is done in a similar bypassing method, but is done before the exhaust gas reaches the turbochargers turbine housing.

The size of an internal wastegate is proportionate to the size of the turbo, where as an external wastegate, because it's located outside of the turbo, can be made much larger. An internal wastegate becomes too small when the volume of exhaust gasses coming from the motor exceeds the efficienct flow that the size of an internal wastegate can handle. That's when an external wastegate can be utilized, to vent the extra exhaust gasses to stabilize boost pressure.

Here's the link of ZTH members having problematic actuator. Ask tajulsan what's the outcome after shifting to external wastegate.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/tech-forced-induction/262304-turbo-actuator.html

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Honda's all new City arrives Malaysia with fresh 121ps 1.5L DOHC I-VTEC engines, including the hero car, a world's first, twin electric motor hybrid City e:HEV RS as one of the 4 variants offered.

City RS e:HEV : 108ps / 253nm / twin electric motor / 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC / E-CVT / Honda Sensing / RS bodykit / Price: TBA

City S / E / V Models: 121ps / 145nm / 1.5L 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC / CVT / Prices: V...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience