Wastegate Explained.

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
Not abt wad management u using. It's wad u want ur setup to be. How much power u expecting from the mods. How much flow ur turbo is generating in terms of volume/secs. Bigger piping diameter does cause flow to be more even. But it also require more time to fill in the bigger volume to produce positive pressure/boost.

Management is just a control system of ur engine. And ofcourse, sequential ignition does provide a more consistent exhaust flow.. Thus improve the response of the engine n flow.
Ok~Thanks !!

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

the intercooler piping 2.5 inch back tb 3 inch is normal for 1.8cc turbocharger engine,i never hear the air flow intake piping must be follow by turbo inlet size?that is really stupid word,why you got so many super sin+lan friend?the td05h evo123 inlet only got 2.1 inch like that why the air flow sensor hose is 3 inch?make sense please.....
Haha~~dont know ler...my fren around all also sin+lan ler:biggrin:
Chriss..last time I still remember you told me before..But I can't find the post :rolleyes:
Intercooler to throttle body better stay at 2.5 right ?
I think My T28 turbo inlet also around 2.1" like that.. Ok~I think I will make the MAF piping from 2.5" to 2.1" TC...
Thanks !:wavey:

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
Ok~Thanks !!

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Chriss..last time I still remember you told me before..But I can't find the post :rolleyes:
I think My T28 turbo inlet also around 2.1" like that.. Ok~I think I will make the MAF piping from 2.5" to 2.1" TC...
the air flow sensor pipe u wanna put 3 inch also does't matter,the near throttle body that last piping better get 3inc, if u got stand alone ecu like micro tech motec,u don want that air flow sensor pipe also can,just direct suck air~

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Ok~Thanks !!

Check out your compressor inlet at garrett website. Compare with GT2560. They are almost the same. at least all the flanges are the same...

Errmm... Chriss, I think I said that... But what I meant was follow the MAF diameter/size then reduce gradually till the turbo inlet size. So that the air can flow smoothly into the compressor inlet. If u don't reduce gradually and allow sudden contraction where the compressor inlet is, then there'll be a compression head loss. Maybe u won;t feel it when u drive, but it can be proven on dyno and fluid dynamics calculation.

But if going to do it, why don't do the right way..? 1 time work ma...

the air flow sensor pipe u wanna put 3 inch also does't matter,the near throttle body that last piping better get 3inc, if u got stand alone ecu like micro tech motec,u don want that air flow sensor pipe also can,just direct suck air~
Last piping segment is done according to the TB inlet size to match the inlet port size. Yes, direct suck air gives the best response. Sounds good too... Damn 7 yeng too... Maybe VSB likes it. But ur throttlebody maintenance should be more frequent.

Make sure put a net to avoid big pieces going into ur compressor. And tie a net tightly with hose clamp or cable tie. Suction of compressor cound suck the net in and damage ur compressor wheel, then your throttlebody. If the broken pieces enters the engine, it could also cause harm to your turbine wheel..

One otai kena before... Lolz.... DUn ask who...

Last edited:

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
I think I have to rechange the whole piping.... Now my whole piping all 2"... WTF !! My original TB already 2.7"... BUT THE PIPING SMALLER THAN OEM !!!!!!!!!!
Anyway..thanks guys !! :(

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
Check out your compressor inlet at garrett website. Compare with GT2560. They are almost the same. at least all the flanges are the same...

Errmm... Chriss, I think I said that... But what I meant was follow the MAF diameter/size then reduce gradually till the turbo inlet size. So that the air can flow smoothly into the compressor inlet. If u don't reduce gradually and allow sudden contraction where the compressor inlet is, then there'll be a compression head loss. Maybe u won;t feel it when u drive, but it can be proven on dyno and fluid dynamics calculation.

But if going to do it, why don't do the right way..? 1 time work ma...

Last piping segment is done according to the TB inlet size to match the inlet port size. Yes, direct suck air gives the best response. Sounds good too... Damn 7 yeng too... Maybe VSB likes it. But ur throttlebody maintenance should be more frequent.

Make sure put a net to avoid big pieces going into ur compressor. And tie a net tightly with hose clamp or cable tie. Suction of compressor cound suck the net in and damage ur compressor wheel, then your throttlebody. If the broken pieces enters the engine, it could also cause harm to your turbine wheel..

One otai kena before... Lolz.... DUn ask who...
hahaha

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
I think I have to rechange the whole piping.... Now my whole piping all 2"... WTF !! My original TB already 2.7"... BUT THE PIPING SMALLER THAN OEM !!!!!!!!!!
Anyway..thanks guys !! :(
Actually I don't understand wad u trying to say. Hehe...

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
Actually I don't understand wad u trying to say. Hehe...
HEhe..ok...explain clearly here...
-Our throttle body inlet diameter is 2.7"...
But after BOT...my mechanic modify the "whole piping" to 2"... which mean my intercooler piping to throttle body also 2"....
-Stock Air intake (MAF)diameter is 2.5" ... They make whole piping to 2" also.... which mean 2" piping to turbocharger...Feel like will having air pressure problem !!
Hope you understand ! :):biggrin:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
HEhe..ok...explain clearly here...
-Our throttle body inlet diameter is 2.7"...
But after BOT...my mechanic modify the "whole piping" to 2"... which mean my intercooler piping to throttle body also 2"....
-Stock Air intake (MAF)diameter is 2.5" ... They make whole piping to 2" also.... which mean 2" piping to turbocharger...Feel like will having air pressure problem !!
Hope you understand ! :):biggrin:
Kuchai lama ma..... Is like that ge lor.... Lolz... Keke...

It's won;t cause much pressure problem. Just boost finish faster.. cause insufficient volume to stall more pressurized air..

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
just back from oversea :biggrin:
okie... I will start my project soon.. !
Thanks Taiko !!

pampersdry

Known Member
Nov 13, 2009
pahang
guys....sory to interupt....after reading the whole thread now im planning to put a wastegate.... what do i need to modified?
now using standart part....standart manifold....standart turbine with actuator....and a noob boost(below 0.5)....lol... :banghead:

plssss advice needed for a noob like me.... :adore::adore::adore::adore:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
guys....sory to interupt....after reading the whole thread now im planning to put a wastegate.... what do i need to modified?
now using standart part....standart manifold....standart turbine with actuator....and a noob boost(below 0.5)....lol... :banghead:

plssss advice needed for a noob like me.... :adore::adore::adore::adore:
Dun look down on the boost number bro... It doesn;t determined on how much horse u achieving... Previously, I was using a medium frame MHI turbo boosting at 0.8 bar... Getting around 18+ WHP. Now that I have changed to ******* Turbo. Slightly bigger with different bearing boosting at 0.4 bar. Achieving anytime more powerful than previously. So, boost number is nothing... It all depends on what's inside ur hood.

However, regardless of what engine, car and turbo u are using... There is only 1 thing u need to remember, u are replacing the internal wastegate with and external wastegate which the exhaust and compressed air acts directly on the wastegate without any reaction media like an actuator. U can either remove the internal wastegate flap and plonk in the wastegate there, or u can close the internal wastegate flap completely and install an external wastegate at the turbo manifold.

But there are more details in the process. Easiest is to close the internal wastegate and use an aftermarket tubular manifold aka banana.

pampersdry

Known Member
Nov 13, 2009
pahang
What car are you using ??
how many boost you want ??
What turbo are you using ?
engine 4g63 rvr
td04 turbine
boost now below 0.5....trying to get about 0.8 or 0.7 boost....0.5 consider ok for me.... im not kaki gajah one....does stock actuator tahan if boost 0.8?

ty bro speed for enlighten me.... :proud::proud::proud:
using stock manifold also can put external wastegate ka? huuu....

noob nihh....:itsme:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
engine 4g63 rvr
td04 turbine
boost now below 0.5....trying to get about 0.8 or 0.7 boost....0.5 consider ok for me.... im not kaki gajah one....does stock actuator tahan if boost 0.8?

ty bro speed for enlighten me.... :proud::proud::proud:
using stock manifold also can put external wastegate ka? huuu....

noob nihh....:itsme:
Just effort of lifting hands. For MHI turbo using std manifold without altering the manifold. Here is how u do it...

Anything u don't understand, drop me a PM

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

alooo...
how to make ur crome rims still shining? not 'crome celup'. i mean ori besi shining. need advise from every one.. lets share how u get ur love rims still beauty...all rim types.... black...gold..silver......
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience