Want to look for road tuning experts

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Now that my 1JZGTE VVTI is finally optimized with Greddy Emanage Blue that pumped out 256whp, now i think i want to perform an on the road tuning to match the engine to my driving style. I am not saying the existing tune is not good for me but i think its better to tune according to road conditions and also driving style to bring the car's performance to better level. Anyone can recommend any experts for the above ?

Thanks
Ken

Reactions: Saring

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
How does one tune according to road conditions? Shouldn't it be tuned to the engines capability?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
How does one tune according to road conditions? Shouldn't it be tuned to the engines capability?
Well sometime ago when i was in Aussie, my mate sent his Subaru Forester for a dynotune to get the fuel map tune according to the new mods he did, according to him, he said dyno tune its just setting the ECU to suit new mods. On the road tuning will tune by driving conditions, throttle opening and also driving style. I believe in Malaysia also can find lots of on the road tuning people but not all of them are reliable.

Just checking to see anyone knows anyone that might able to bring my car to perform even better. Not that i am complaining its not good, but i think it can be better.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm on road tune usually is just for base tune or initial tune to be optimised later on the dyno, so that you won't need to spend too much time and money on dyno tune.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well sometime ago when i was in Aussie, my mate sent his Subaru Forester for a dynotune to get the fuel map tune according to the new mods he did, according to him, he said dyno tune its just setting the ECU to suit new mods. On the road tuning will tune by driving conditions, throttle opening and also driving style. I believe in Malaysia also can find lots of on the road tuning people but not all of them are reliable.

Just checking to see anyone knows anyone that might able to bring my car to perform even better. Not that i am complaining its not good, but i think it can be better.
I've never actually heard of "driving condition/style" type tuning. Maybe that's the "fine-tuning" I always hear about whenever I watch those racing movies.

Can you give some sort of example as to what tuning can be done to accommodate driving style/road conditions?

Reactions: Charles

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Maybe its like this;

In the early days when cars ECU and TCU started to becomes smarter ( and cvt only exist on scooted ) some car have ECU&TCU that runs different map according to driving condition ( throttle opening / throttle input / gradient / braking ).

This could be what he is aiming for.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I've never actually heard of "driving condition/style" type tuning. Maybe that's the "fine-tuning" I always hear about whenever I watch those racing movies.

Can you give some sort of example as to what tuning can be done to accommodate driving style/road conditions?
Racing on track is same route all the time, Daily drive, I am sure, got plenty different routes......lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Maybe its like this;

In the early days when cars ECU and TCU started to becomes smarter ( and cvt only exist on scooted ) some car have ECU&TCU that runs different map according to driving condition ( throttle opening / throttle input / gradient / braking ).

This could be what he is aiming for.
actually I still don't understand. Let's say I have a car like the Honda Civic EF with a b18c with everything standard. The car would be pretty decent to drive at any speed on a flat surface but with most of the power mid to high range with VTEC open (past 5.5k rpm). Top speed about 180 to 200km/h and pretty conservative AF ratio throughout the range.

If let's say I drove this car on a hilly environment, i'd just drive the car more in the mid to high end range of the RPMs saja, what could I retune on the car to make it suit the environment?

Sorry I'm asking because I'm genuinely confused.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
actually I still don't understand. Let's say I have a car like the Honda Civic EF with a b18c with everything standard. The car would be pretty decent to drive at any speed on a flat surface but with most of the power mid to high range with VTEC open (past 5.5k rpm). Top speed about 180 to 200km/h and pretty conservative AF ratio throughout the range.

If let's say I drove this car on a hilly environment, i'd just drive the car more in the mid to high end range of the RPMs saja, what could I retune on the car to make it suit the environment?

Sorry I'm asking because I'm genuinely confused.
Its about perfecting it for specific situation to suit individual preference during that situation.
Something like adjusting our seat height, recline, slide IN/OUT. We can see a lot of advice on the ideal sitting position when are driving but most will still make some adjustment to suit their preference.

I believe thats why there are market for vtec/vvt/vvl controller, throttle controller, etc. Engine and its output remain the same, only different is how it behaves. The difference is not much but still noticeable. I doubt such controller or tuning will work on highly tuned engine in term of toning down the experience for certain type of driving condition.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Its about perfecting it for specific situation to suit individual preference during that situation.
Something like adjusting our seat height, recline, slide IN/OUT. We can see a lot of advice on the ideal sitting position when are driving but most will still make some adjustment to suit their preference.

I believe thats why there are market for vtec/vvt/vvl controller, throttle controller, etc. Engine and its output remain the same, only different is how it behaves. The difference is not much but still noticeable. I doubt such controller or tuning will work on highly tuned engine in term of toning down the experience for certain type of driving condition.
I've had the chance to play with the Civic EF with VTEC opening at 4.5k instead of the stock 5.5k. I don't see the point cuz there is a significant drop in performance when it kicks in too early.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008

My idea is to take a drive around town and highway to simulate my usual drive patterns, the tuner will tune according to my driving behaviour, for eg my throttle pattern, gear selection with my semi auto mode since i don't have manual, and with A/C on. JC racing is tuning without AC because they don't want to hurt the compressor when they going WOT many times on the dyno.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My idea is to take a drive around town and highway to simulate my usual drive patterns, the tuner will tune according to my driving behaviour, for eg my throttle pattern, gear selection with my semi auto mode since i don't have manual, and with A/C on. JC racing is tuning without AC because they don't want to hurt the compressor when they going WOT many times on the dyno.
that's interesting. Cuz those turbo car compressors should have cut-offs to protect the compressors. Unless the transplant job was not done properly.

Ok I understand how you want to do it, but I'm trying to understand what can be done during the tune. So say you're cruising on a straight stretch of road your usual way at 50% throttle because of the potholes, so what can the tuner do to your tune to "enhance" the drive? If the tune on the dyno was done properly to cover all different aspects of driving (idle, low load, middle load, high load, WOT, etc) then the car should already be running at optimum efficiency already regardless of your driving style at that point of time.

Also let's assume the tune was done on the road to lean out at 50% throttle to save fuel since you don't ever go higher than that - what happens if one day you forget and get heavy footed and go 80%, then your tune would go out of whack and something will go wrong.

That's my thinking anyway. So again, i don't understand OTR tuning.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
that's interesting. Cuz those turbo car compressors should have cut-offs to protect the compressors. Unless the transplant job was not done properly.

Ok I understand how you want to do it, but I'm trying to understand what can be done during the tune. So say you're cruising on a straight stretch of road your usual way at 50% throttle because of the potholes, so what can the tuner do to your tune to "enhance" the drive? If the tune on the dyno was done properly to cover all different aspects of driving (idle, low load, middle load, high load, WOT, etc) then the car should already be running at optimum efficiency already regardless of your driving style at that point of time.

Also let's assume the tune was done on the road to lean out at 50% throttle to save fuel since you don't ever go higher than that - what happens if one day you forget and get heavy footed and go 80%, then your tune would go out of whack and something will go wrong.

That's my thinking anyway. So again, i don't understand OTR tuning.
Perhaps this can give you some ideas on how to do it. Just skip to 4.42 on how this dude tuned from RPM to RPM. This method is very very risk as we need a long stretch on road in doing so.

Reactions: Saring

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

as per advertised in Traffic Magazine, the Japan GT issue (red)

damn nice (IMO) artwork...
any comments to improve?

and the Traffic Magazine topic..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience