Vios to Altezza

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Well, my advice to TS would be to go find Altezza owner groups on FB, not sure if they are still active now as most of them are no longer in the modding phase, and just maintain and drive. Over there you will also get real life feedback on running one.

Don't ask questions like "easy to maintain or not". Too vague. Ask questions like, have the Altezza ever leave you stranded. Or was there a time you couldn't get parts. Etc. Easy is relative. What is easy to you may not be easy for me.

As for alternatives in that price range with a RWD. Other than BMW I cannot think of anything else.
other rwd's that might not break the bank huh.....

mark X
- honestly speaking, since ts is looking for an automatic, this sounds like a way better option
- its more 'boatish' but will do the job fine i guess

mercs nothing interesting

audis are fancy vw's

wow that was bout it

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
other rwd's that might not break the bank huh.....

mark X
- honestly speaking, since ts is looking for an automatic, this sounds like a way better option
- its more 'boatish' but will do the job fine i guess

mercs nothing interesting

audis are fancy vw's

wow that was bout it
Oh yesss the Mark X, and if he doesn't mind a Lexus badge, the 2011 IS250 is also a good one but V6 engine (not sure its inferior to inline 6). The cabin, seats, NVH, comfort level is super good, better than my Volvo but its too "unsporty" to me.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yeah, im estimating atleast 8k ready to accommodate the new change of parts one-go (bushings, new o2 Sensors, timing belts and water pumps, solenoid, Ignition coils, oil gasket, normal fluid changes) in hopes to have a hassle free ride for few thousand miles. but correct me sifus if my estimation is off target :grimacing:.

I've been reading bout the issues this car may pop-up, and SEEMS, seem la.. not much on Engine and gearbox issues. Most issues would be the solenoid, o2 sensors and plugs. Any altezza owner can validate? :sweatsmile:
You talking about auto or manual? Let's just talk about the cars I've been scoping out - only 1 had the vvti solenoid swapped out, the rest all needed changing. The O2 and spark plugs are wear and tear parts. A car that old it's probably a good idea to change these wear and tear parts.

For automatics you'll need to find out when was the last time the oil changed? And then whether it was modified with a ATF cooler or not. If not consider getting one into your budget

The higher the mileage of the Tezza the more wear and tear bits and pieces will need looking at. Oil seals, gaskets, bushes and potentially even driveshafts. All these things are wear and tear so check receipts if any and test drive cars to know what needs work.

Personally i would try to avoid BMW cause most friends and relatives have sold off their old ones due to a few headache in maintaining it. Like fix this part, the other parts becomes gone case. I didnt ask too in depth.. but just the summary of it made me quite skeptical of their running reliability. Then again, it could be the age of the car like you have mentioned. But this is all my personal view la (Hope no BMer's gets offended :sweatsmile:) and do correct me.
No one gets offended unless you flame someone directly.

Anyway BMWs F-series and G-series are newer and cost way more to maintain. The E36 and E46 generation of BMWs are older and cheaper to maintain. But they don't drive and feel like the newer cars la. E90 is when it starts to get more expensive to maintain but still cheaper than F and G.

For the 325i engine with inline 6 of 6L+ engine oil capacity, Im assuming a higher maintenance cost for regular interval services (E.g. Spark plugs & oil change)? Plus, roadtax is doubled from altezza being a 2.5L :frowning:.
Oh come on. 6L of oil isn't that much more mah. Roadtax is still 800+ vs 400+. Not that much more for smoother response and more powahhhh

Based on what i've gathered, i think altezza could be the balance? Have more performance than a Vios, though not as great performance as BMWs, but have the reliability to last like a Camry? that is IF, most of the major wear and tear parts are changed before driving out one.
Yes. Close to a Camry. But expect a little more cuz Camry no rear diff oil to change.

Btw wanna ask, i heard altezza always have this Lower arm bushing issues and ball join issues. Most of the bushings i can find on the web are "Hardrace" brands. They dont supply Original Toyota or any other alternative OEM bushings anymore for altezza?

And do coilovers replaces entirely the need for absorbers and springs? The stock absorber almost 3k for 4 sides :coldsweat:. If thats the case, wouldnt coilover be a better option?
Hardrace and Superpro should have bushes for the Tezza.

Coilovers are suspension sets la.. do you know what they are in the first place? 3k for 4 sides sounds like you're opting for original parts taken from Toyota directly. Did you check other options?

If 3k you probably should consider coilovers but coilovers will compromise your ride comfort. So you gotta find out what you want.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i got this tip from a police friend this morning......

an ops being conducted with police and jpj

to crack down iligal car mod and racing....

is just launched secretly a week ago.....

so those who are coming to sungi besi ,upm,seri kembangan ,serdang area....

be careful....my friends wira/vr4 was caught yesterday night.....

it seem that thay are not setting up road blocks but......

undercover in normal cars thay aprouch u from behind and block your car in the front....

my...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience