Video: Tengku Djan in action in the D1 World All Star 2006, Irwindale USA

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

D1 Grand Prix Championship Malaysia Elites, Tengku Djan Ley and Lim Zee King will shake USA for the first time at the D1 WORLD ALL
STAR 2006 in Dec 16 and 17. Malaysia's first try ever to take on the world's best. Stay tuned as the reports roll in! Ken Nomura wins over Masao Suenaga to take 1st place in the 2006 D1GP World All Star. By DriftLive.com

MacNamara out in round of 8 to Ken Noruma, Darren is quickly becoming a crowd favorite in his SR powered Toyota Corolla.

T.Djan knocked out in round of 8 after having eliminated Vaughn Gittin in the round of 16. I propose the nickname of “Tandem Assassin” for Djan, as nobody saw that coming, and he absolutely killed it. This is one absolutely fierce competitor, who despite a damaged car, had the crowd at Irwindale on their feet.

Sean Falconer, Damien Mulvey, Rhys Millen, Vaughn Gittin, and Samuel Hubinette knocked out in the round of 16

Vaughn Gittin Jr. was the top qualifier with a perfect score.

I also want to mention that, despite not making the Top 16, Chris Forsberg was killing the bank at Irwindale during his qualifying passes. He was closer to the wall on the bank then any of the other drivers during qualifying.

Attachments

Last edited:

DewA_LavaU

1,500 RPM
Jan 11, 2004
Bintulu
congrats to djan.getting place in round of 8 is a big achievement considering his first time involvement in D1 World All Star:_: way to go to malaysia reps!malaysia boleh!

afiqfaisal

May 31, 2006
is he(tgku djan lee) drivin the same car.,ae86..or use other car?niway,congrat.

MiOKu

Known Member
Oct 27, 2005
cool man.... way to go djan..

Racing6006

Oct 29, 2004
KL
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px" width="100%">From rudsfreeze angle-D5.com

Tengku Djan reporting from US
</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=postbody colSpan=2>receive this report on his World Series event yesterday. Here you go:

---------------------

update:

Practice:
bright and sunny today. lovely day for the world series. Practice started early and i was out there feeling really comfortable. we have a whole 1hr30mins worth. did about 5-6 laps and decided to call it quits. instead we were watching the rest practice. everyone's performance was very high today. Ueo was on course doin some tsuiso runs. some bug went to my head as i decided to have a try with the best 86 driver in the world. well, if i can't stay up with him i might as well give up drifting right? so i got Takashi to stop him and we went for a tsuiso run. off we went down the straight. 1st, 2nd into 3rd gear, round the bank close to him, we started drifting up the bank, switch back into the 2nd corner, i was actually gaining on him.. too quick! tried to slow down but velocity too high, still trying to slow it down but too late! left front into the wall! man the car is a wreck! we clocked the highest speed on a 86. 129kmh at the speed trap! wow. but too bad for me.

The repair:
car towed straight into the pits. we had only an hour to sort the shit out! i was so suprised, everyone help us, we got some hydraulic tools to pull the body back, ueo help us pull the chassis back without tearing the frame, DG5 chairman was there to support together with autoproduce boss workshop (built orido's supra). we managed to get everything ready for qualifying! just!

Opening ceremony:
i couldn't drive my car to the grandstand, so i had to take a lift with Zee, i was holding the flag while he was driving. and the boys were still working on the car at that time.

Qualifying:
car ready, no testing. did the alignment "agak agak". came my turn and off i went. FLATOUT. 1st and 2nd run really good, 3rd run i spun. didn't matter. first run was the best. announcement was made and i made the best 16! in 16th position! phew. 1st run against no.1 qualifyer! Vaugn Gittin!

Race:
i had nothing to lose, so flat out all the way. and what do yuo know i blew smoke all around him. we did go to a sudden death though Smile into the best 8 against imamura. he's a real snake i tell you. try to drop my confidence by banging my ass on warm up run. nevernmind. he doesn't know what i'm made of. so off we went, i was inthe lead holding good pace and he couldn't really catch up. i won 6-4
2nd run, i was behind, the bastard slowed me down on the straight and made a run for it just befor ethe bank. nevernmind, i kept a shallow angle did the transition and catched up to him on the 2nd corner, he was running wide so i leaped inside. i was literally on the inside and gunned the throttle for the exit. and bang! my ass hit his front wheel. serve him right. sucker. he broke a tie rod and my exhaust came loose. we fixed our probelms and had a sudden death run. we were clean this time round but i believe i was much closer to him than he was to me on both runs, but some how tsuchiya gave him the win. oh well, best 8 is good for the first attempt at D1, and the crowd + all the jap drivers had full respect for my driving style and agression. the whole sepctator stand was shouting TENGKU DJAN TENGKU DJAN Smile it's a great feeling. to end up 8th best in the world is respectful Smile

back to the pits after the race and all the drivers came to congratulate me. on fixing the car in time and driving with full agression! hat off to the boys! Ueo has promised to help me with my car and improving my driving style, DG5 will supply a set of suspension for my car (it's not even released yet!) ken gushi want me to run US series, and Kuma kubo invited me to Ebisu. Man! it's like a dream come true!

for now it's back to reality, the car is wrecked and we have to rebuild every inch of it!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Racing6006

Oct 29, 2004
KL
From Driftlive.com
Ken Nomura wins over Masao Suenaga to take 1st place in the 2006 D1GP World All Star.

MacNamara out in round of 8 to Ken Noruma, Darren is quickly becoming a crowd favorite in his SR powered Toyota Corolla.

T.Djan knocked out in round of 8 after having eliminated Vaughn Gittin in the round of 16. I propose the nickname of Tandem Assassin for Djan, as nobody saw that coming, and he absolutely killed it. This is one absolutely fierce competitor, who despite a damaged car, had the crowd at Irwindale on their feet.

Sean Falconer, Damien Mulvey, Rhys Millen, Vaughn Gittin, and Samuel Hubinette knocked out in the round of 16

Vaughn Gittin Jr. was the top qualifier with a perfect score.

I also want to mention that, despite not making the Top 16, Chris Forsberg was killing the bank at Irwindale during his qualifying passes. He was closer to the wall on the bank then any of the other drivers during qualifying. [/b]

Racing6006

Oct 29, 2004
KL
From Jacobphoto at Driftworks.com Forum
Sorry guys, didn't have the blackberry today.

it was a great show!! Tengku Djan taking out number 1 qualifier JR was a huge upset, but it seemed like the entire crowd was behind him!! Same with Damien and Darren... everyone was rooting on the out-of-towners!

It was announced at the event that Darren would be competing in the US D1 series (which has been announced, but details are very very vague at best). His car will be staying in town at Falken (he picked up a new sponsor). I know he got hit up by multiple magazines... but we shot it for a magazine on Thursday, so I'll have the first dibs

Attendance was only around 5k or so fans, relatively low, i'd blame that on it being the last full weekend before Christmas, and the high ticket prices ($10 - $15 more than what it was in March for round 1).

Overall, it was a fun day. I'll get pics up shortly (give me a few days). I know Damien / Glen / Phil fly back on Tuesday, they're going to be relaxing and hanging out the next few days. Then when they get back, I'll be working with Glen to get photos to all the UK magazines to get these boys the credit that they deserve.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Djan via Adian

I just spoke 2 Djan, He's on Cloud 9! Lost is best 8 to Imamura, sudden death. Crowd was chanting his name!!

He nearly overtook Imamura too, banged him a bit. During Practice for World Event, car went into the wall. They had 2 rebuild and pull the chassis. It was a nailbiter, but they made it.

Qualified for Best 16, 1st round he beat America's best, Vaughn Gittin Jr! Anyway I told him as long as the japs r the only judge, its always going to be biased. He's done Malaysia proud!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Chas
This is Chas from the USA.

Zee had machine trouble and didn't make it to best 16.

Djan beat Vaughn, it was great. He passed Immaura but D1 judging sucks, he should have made top 4.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Jacobphoto at Driftworks.com forum.

man, tengku did AWESOMEEEEE!! He was the last placed qualifier, and went up against number 1 JR (who had a perfect 100 qualifying score). stuck to him like glue in the first run, and took an AWESOME line in the second!!

then, he went up against immamura, and almost beat him too!!

he did the AE86 crew proud!