Vaughn Gittin Jr. unimpressed by new world drifting record

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Just days after Mercedes-Benz and Mauro Calo set a new world record for the longest drift, keeping the C63 AMG with its tail out around a skid pad for 2,308 meters, slashing 2010 Formula Drift champion Vaughn Gitting Jr’s previous record of 1,916 meters, Gittin himself has come out to question what precisely constitutes a drift.

According to the guardians of the record, Guiness World Records, drifting is defined as ‘driving a car with rear slip angle that is greater to the front.’ Sounds like a pretty basic explanation for the layman. The beef lies with Gittin and fellow Formula Drift participant, Michael Essa, calling the new record my Calo and Mercedes-Benz a ‘donut.’

The video posted earlier shows the C63 AMG circling the skidpad for around two minutes before it pops its tyre and the attempt is over. Gittin was unimpressed by the feat.

“There are about 60 drivers that show up to Formula Drift every month, as well as thousands of grassroots drifters, that can do giant donuts until the tires pop as well,” said Gittin.

The Team Falken and Monster Energy drink driver suggested to put some credibility back into drifting to ensure that the talent behind drifting is recognised and not just a spectacle of smoky donuts. His suggestion is for it to be defined as ‘drifting without intersecting your drift line.’

Formula Drift operates by setting up a course for the competitors to drift their vehicles through with a variety of turns at different speeds. The whole course must be navigated with the tail out, making it a real game of skill.

“This result would be a record that took a lot of skill, balls, and wouldn't put you to sleep watching the video of it,” added Gittin. We second that.

Source: Autoblog

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
definately true!

Ratbit

Known Member
Feb 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Donuting is just another basic skill in drifting, drifting itself consist much more skills in terms of technique, technical , and mechanical + environments(track conditions) know how...

dulux78

Feb 20, 2006
just wondering will he react like the same if king tsuchiya break that record, this guy is so emo. & cocky over time, he used to be a humble driver, typical american

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It all started with my odometer getting stucked and not moving. I took apart the meter console and managed to get the odometer fixed DIY. Now my prob is that the speedometer needle no longer moves smoothly. I believe I did not re-install it back properly. I am stumped because the speedometer needle assembly has got a very small ball bearing (just one) and I am not sure where to put this. My needle would move up with increase in speed but once I am slowing down, the needle does not move...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience