Used Car purchase: Inspira 2.0P vs Suprima S

chsyke

Known Member

chsyke

Known Member
Dec 13, 2006
Hi all sifu sifu ZTH, im looking for an used car budget around RM 45k and both model seem like fit the budget nicely.

Just wonder if anyone drive either car before and what is your opinion if i want an used unit.

What i like:

Inspira
MIVEC engine, Nappa seat, Auto headlight, Auto climate, space..

Suprima S
Design, Leather seat, Auto climate, Reverse Cam, Andriod multimedia player, projector headlamp (potential to convert HID), auto fold side mirror.

What i dislike:

Inspira
No Auto fold side mirror (in such a "big" car), low center arm rest, Clarion player (although can replace after market DVD), Design is a bit outdated (or conservative), Reflector head lamp. No use of LED at rear lamp.

Suprima S
CPS turbo engine (not sure its reliability), rear door opening, semi-smart push start.

In summary, i like inspira engine (as its MIVEC by Mitshubishi) but accessories wise, seem like suprima win hands down.

Its hard to decide...

By the way, my work require travel quite a lot, out station as well as city drive, fuel comsumption will also my concern.

Hope all sifu sifu here can help me.

Thanks in advance.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Have you test driven the cars? I think best you try them out first. Probably may help with your decision.....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I'll go for Inspira because of I trust more on Mitsubishi technology and design more than Proton. Furthermore, I heard that quality control of Inspira is checked by personnel from Mitsubishi.

Aftermarket support for Inspira is also larger since it is technically a Lancer.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
You can get a used Suprima S for less than RM45k nowadays. I'm a Suprima S owner since October 2013. Ironically, I also faced the same dilemma when deciding between Suprima S and Inspira 1.8 (M) a few years back. :cool:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
You can get a used Suprima S for less than RM45k nowadays. I'm a Suprima S owner since October 2013. Ironically, I also faced the same dilemma when deciding between Suprima S and Inspira 1.8 (M) a few years back. :cool:
You should have taken the Inspira manual. Another fun car to drive for you instead of CVT. :biggrin:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I agree with uncle vr2turbo. Test drive both cars first. It's the best way to decide.

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
I got plan to buy suprima at first. Duno what hit me, buy wira n swap engine. Maybe economy quite bad.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I've already got a fun car. Suprima is more for relaxed driving and safer for the family too. I'm getting older lah, haha...
I really like the Inspira 1.8 manual. For that segment, we can't find any manual offerings in our market. Corolla Altis, Civic, Mazda 3, Lancer, Sylphy are not available in manual over here.

I got plan to buy suprima at first. Duno what hit me, buy wira n swap engine. Maybe economy quite bad.
138hp turbo is not enough to tempt you because the swap you got produces like 200hp. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I agree with uncle vr2turbo. Test drive both cars first. It's the best way to decide.
If don't test drive, how would he know whether he likes the how the car drives. Once bought will keep for sometime, that is why even new cars got test drive units......lol:biggrin:

Even my wife's before she bought her new SUV, tested from N, then M before she bought S.....lol:rofl:

chsyke

Known Member

chsyke

Known Member
Dec 13, 2006
Tested both... both also not a bad car.
Thats why having the dilemma to choose between these two.
Both also have pro and con.
During test drive, it just a short while. Definitely both are better than my current 1.6 10yrs old car.
Because the car im going to use for few years, so just want to have some sifu advise, and it will be good if owner of both can advise me.

chsyke

Known Member

chsyke

Known Member
Dec 13, 2006
Manual, not a fans of Manual nowadays... use to drive manual car... a bit tired especially during jammed.
I want auto, with paddle shift, shifttronic or what ever name they call... can simulate manual drive also =)

chsyke

Known Member

chsyke

Known Member
Dec 13, 2006
Inspira can transplant later.......lol
Transplant...
Im not good in electronic stuff and engine stuf..
And i dont have much time to spend modify and upgrade parts by parts.
So dont think i will go for that option.
Since i have less knowledge, i better stick to OEM... thats why i rather get an used unit...

chsyke

Known Member

chsyke

Known Member
Dec 13, 2006
How is your Suprima ride after so many years? Any issue with it? How about fuel consumption?

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If you just want it as a people mover A to B, no mods, comfortable and boring/slow driving. Inspira 2L with the continuously very tired transmission.

Have one at home. Suprima S doesn't come close in it's boringness in a lazy sleepy comfortable kind of way. That whine on the punch transmission, the lack of punch and stupid rpm matching between the CFE and the transmission is not what I call a comfortable ride. And frankly not that much faster than the Inspira. Neither is fast with that "Turbo" badge.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If don't test drive, how would he know whether he likes the how the car drives. Once bought will keep for sometime, that is why even new cars got test drive units......lol:biggrin:

Even my wife's before she bought her new SUV, tested from N, then M before she bought S.....lol:rofl:
N should be Nissan X-Trail, M should be Mitsubishi ASX? S is your current new car.

chsyke

Known Member

chsyke

Known Member
Dec 13, 2006
If you just want it as a people mover A to B, no mods, comfortable and boring/slow driving. Inspira 2L with the continuously very tired transmission.

Have one at home. Suprima S doesn't come close in it's boringness in a lazy sleepy comfortable kind of way. That whine on the punch transmission, the lack of punch and stupid rpm matching between the CFE and the transmission is not what I call a comfortable ride. And frankly not that much faster than the Inspira. Neither is fast with that "Turbo" badge.
This "new" car will be my own use, work and travelling outstation. Have another MPV for balik kampung use.
I'm looking for a reliable car with less repair. As I know buying used car, there is no warranty, so any repair will be from own pocket. Just don't want to buy a car that end up spending $$$ and time at workshop.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
This "new" car will be my own use, work and travelling outstation. Have another MPV for balik kampung use.
I'm looking for a reliable car with less repair. As I know buying used car, there is no warranty, so any repair will be from own pocket. Just don't want to buy a car that end up spending $$$ and time at workshop.
I suggest go for Inspira as a safer option. The 4B11 engine used in Inspira is a good engine. The CPS engine in Surprima S is Proton's first turbocharged engine. Whether can it last for long remains to be seen.

I guess N for Nissan XTrail, M for Mazda CX5 and S for Subaru XV..
I forgot Mazda. :biggrin: Since Sifu VR2 drives a Galant, I thought of Mitsubishi instead.

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Absolutely no issues since 2012 ownership of the Inspira. Haven't heard major issues/defects from the LYN Inspira owners either. Wear and tear is normal.

Only issue is the head unit. That's nothing to do with the car.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i think u will appreciate larger boot from inspira over hatcback design of suprima....

but if it was me...

IF the car served purpose of town use mainly...shorter ass of suprima becomes the factor of my choice

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
i think u will appreciate larger boot from inspira over hatcback design of suprima....

but if it was me...

IF the car served purpose of town use mainly...shorter ass of suprima becomes the factor of my choice
Good point.
Rear view visibility is rather poor on Inspira. I would still choose Inspira.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I suggest go for Inspira as a safer option. The 4B11 engine used in Inspira is a good engine. The CPS engine in Surprima S is Proton's first turbocharged engine. Whether can it last for long remains to be seen.

I forgot Mazda. :biggrin: Since Sifu VR2 drives a Galant, I thought of Mitsubishi instead.
M's CX-5 more popular, and so far my car brand ownership did not double up........lol:rofl:

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Since used for travel, cari makan. Choose the car that pratical, is ur workhorse not showhorse. How deep ur pocket can go too.

U already have mpv for family.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I will go for inspira.
Its cumbersome in some tight area but much more enjoyable than the suprima.
The Suprima is riding a tad firmer than inspira,blame it on the low profile tires.

leather quality in suprima is like pvc...dont expect much.
i must say fit and finish is good.no rattle or squeak whatsoever.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
M's CX-5 more popular, and so far my car brand ownership did not double up........lol:rofl:
Din't test Honda this time? I remember you owned a few Honda before. Or is it just only one Accord?

Looks like re-badge proton winning over original proton....lol
I always prefer the rebadged cars over their own stuff. :rofl:

If anything, I can still use original parts which should be at a higher quality than Proton's own parts. Like my car. Got choice to use MMC parts.

If Suprima S, only Proton parts available and that is as good as you can go.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Din't test Honda this time? I remember you owned a few Honda before. Or is it just only one Accord?

I always prefer the rebadged cars over their own stuff. :rofl:

If anything, I can still use original parts which should be at a higher quality than Proton's own parts. Like my car. Got choice to use MMC parts.

If Suprima S, only Proton parts available and that is as good as you can go.
Civic, 3 door Accord, then 4 door Accord, and next suppose to be SM4, but 2nd prices were too high so end up with Mitsu. Those Honda was one after another, never own 2 of the same brand together....lol
Did not test H SUV because for the budget at that time was the lowest specs, and at that time also launching civic turbo, so no SA layan us.....lol:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Civic, 3 door Accord, then 4 door Accord, and next suppose to be SM4, but 2nd prices were too high so end up with Mitsu. Those Honda was one after another, never own 2 of the same brand together....lol
Did not test H SUV because for the budget at that time was the lowest specs, and at that time also launching civic turbo, so no SA layan us.....lol:driver:
Oh, I actually thought double up, you mean like owning 2 cars from the same manufacturer. But you actually mean owning 2 at the same time. Sorry, my bad. :rofl:

Got CR-V to test what. But now CR-V got new model coming soon. How much did you pay for Forester? Discounted price season is it?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh, I actually thought double up, you mean like owning 2 cars from the same manufacturer. But you actually mean owning 2 at the same time. Sorry, my bad. :rofl:

Got CR-V to test what. But now CR-V got new model coming soon. How much did you pay for Forester? Discounted price season is it?
CRV got test unit, but all busy selling civic turbo. More over the lowest spec CRV don't even have 6" screen. A double din player with 2 big knob. Wife see already, cabut....lol:burnout:

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
SA some is eksyen. After pay booking money for x-gear, thats it.:mad:
Waiting for 4 months, lastly i just pick a person to bedah siasat. Who know, is northern region manager.

Within a week, got my car dy.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Waiting for 4 months, lastly i just pick a person to bedah siasat. Who know, is northern region manager.

Wonder how they survive with this type of attitude.....:banghead:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
CRV got test unit, but all busy selling civic turbo. More over the lowest spec CRV don't even have 6" screen. A double din player with 2 big knob. Wife see already, cabut....lol:burnout:
Much underspec for Honda as usual. Just like the base spec City. Alloy wheels with rim covers, no digital display for metre cluster. What is this? Still selling near 80k. If that comes with manual transmission option, then I'll keep quiet. :biggrin:

Same story with me. Last time during early 2015 when HR-V is launched, my aunt wanted to buy one. Went to Honda showroom to view the car with whole family. SA mostly ignored my family because majority in my family are women. They went and serve those middle aged men mostly. Only a Malay SA talked to us. Chinese SA all act like din't see us. I purposely asked one SA a few questions on the engine like is it an aluminum block or cast iron block, using distributorless ignition system? Din't manage to answer. At the end, my family got bored with this service and my aunt bought the HR-V from another dealership. We are really there to buy the car but the SA thought we can't afford it or something. :banghead:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Much underspec for Honda as usual. Just like the base spec City. Alloy wheels with rim covers, no digital display for metre cluster. What is this? Still selling near 80k. If that comes with manual transmission option, then I'll keep quiet. :biggrin:

Same story with me. Last time during early 2015 when HR-V is launched, my aunt wanted to buy one. Went to Honda showroom to view the car with whole family. SA mostly ignored my family because majority in my family are women. They went and serve those middle aged men mostly. Only a Malay SA talked to us. Chinese SA all act like din't see us. I purposely asked one SA a few questions on the engine like is it an aluminum block or cast iron block, using distributorless ignition system? Din't manage to answer. At the end, my family got bored with this service and my aunt bought the HR-V from another dealership. We are really there to buy the car but the SA thought we can't afford it or something. :banghead:
Well, Honda now top selling. People buy because good second hand value. We buy unless it worth the package and nice to drive.....lol:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Well, Honda now top selling. People buy because good second hand value. We buy unless it worth the package and nice to drive.....lol:biggrin:
Honda and Toyota always got good second hand value. Oh, Perodua too.

ZTH members normally care more about driving sensation and specs more than second hand value. :biggrin:

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Thats why, if care about 2nd hand value. Just drive whatever friend/colleagues/save petrol says. :driver:
Follow the bandwagon.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thats why, if care about 2nd hand value. Just drive whatever friend/colleagues/save petrol says. :driver:
Follow the bandwagon.
Those days Wira was the car to go for, especially those in sales. Real workhorse, except for the rusting issues, the engine is Mitsu and real tough. Later was the Waja, but nowadays probably the saga back one model as I seen many sales personnel using also, maybe now is price factor......lol:biggrin:

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
car that taxi driver use, can say economical choice. easy maintenance, petrol, lasting...etc.
Especially genting taxi as an example. Very strong.
Nowadays, rojak dy. Any car can be taxi.

mag9556

2,000 RPM

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
you already answer for your own man.. better and reliable cars is inspira somemore spare parts tons of it since from Mitsubishi like the previous legendary Proton Wira replacement..

let it be it 2.0 or 1.8(M) nice and stable to drive but FC depend on your leg ya..
A lot of my friend brought the inspira 1.8 ended with twin clutch SST gearbox (saw the gear knob).. engine wise, dont know what they load inside since nowdays age go up dont like those cutting tree annoying sound.. hehe..

Good Luck

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
you already answer for your own man.. better and reliable cars is inspira somemore spare parts tons of it since from Mitsubishi like the previous legendary Proton Wira replacement..

let it be it 2.0 or 1.8(M) nice and stable to drive but FC depend on your leg ya..
A lot of my friend brought the inspira 1.8 ended with twin clutch SST gearbox.. engine wise, dont know what to load inside since nowdays age go up dont like those cutting tree annoying sound.. hehe..

Good Luck
I remember one member quote, fuel price not applicable to ZTH heavy footers. hahahaha....:driver:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Those days Wira was the car to go for, especially those in sales. Real workhorse, except for the rusting issues, the engine is Mitsu and real tough. Later was the Waja, but nowadays probably the saga back one model as I seen many sales personnel using also, maybe now is price factor......lol:biggrin:
same to me.....i'd buy whatever car i like...no matter the manufacturing years new or used....dont bother with resale value also....

coz i use my car for my satisfaction...not for others to judge :driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I remember one member quote, fuel price not applicable to ZTH heavy footers. hahahaha....:driver:
That is why many who ask about modding for power than ask how to save fuel will kena shot.....hhahhahahhahahhahaha:rofl:

Jac83

Known Member

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
That is why many who ask about modding for power than ask how to save fuel will kena shot.....hhahhahahhahahhahaha:rofl:
Rightfully should kena shot kao kao la haha.

Even a bodybuilder will need to spend heavily on supplements mah. How can one get all the big big muscles without supplement?:rofl: Same goes with a car.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Wira is one tough car I'll say. Especially those with 4G1 engines. I've seen a lot of Wira at Ipoh being used as workhorse. Hawker fellas also use Wira to transport their food and equipment.

I won't say the engine is very tough but many of the small problems can be ignored. Like small leakages here and there due to worn out oil seal. For my car, I cannot take it if I know there is any leak so I will fix it. My mechanic told me, many people don't care about it and just top up engine oil and keep on driving. Some people can also live with water temperature issues in old cars and leave it unfixed.

A lot of my friend brought the inspira 1.8 ended with twin clutch SST gearbox (saw the gear knob).. engine wise, dont know what they load inside since nowdays age go up dont like those cutting tree annoying sound.. hehe..

Good Luck
It is technically a successor to Wira since both cars are based on Lancer. Treat it as a modern day Wira.

Inspira transplanted with 4B11T engine from Evo X or Lancer Ralliart can be really fast. Saw before someone testing the car on youtube. Still stable at speed over 200kmh although wind noise is really loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_z05OW7mE

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Rightfully should kena shot kao kao la haha.

Even a bodybuilder will need to spend heavily on supplements mah. How can one get all the big big muscles without supplement?:rofl: Same goes with a car.
Very good reasoning......lol:rofl: