Upgrade: 1987 BMW e28 528i ///M Sport

classixx_e28

Sep 27, 2014
I just recently acquired a 1987 BMW e28 528i. It has an MSport trim to give it the looks.

If there are any classic Beemer guys out there, Here is where you tell me what works and what doesn't in a old e28.

I don't plan on giving it a full restoration, although I have dreamed of pulling it apart and refurbishing every part of it with autosol and a toothbrush.

The car is currently undergoing cosmetics at a body shop. Welding and paneling to remove some rust had been completed, and is now currently getting a new paint job as we speak. The original colour it came (greenish blue).

I have some plans for her, maybe Dana; pronounced day-na as a project name.

Nothing too crazy and mostly performance upgrades. I'm a big fan of properly tuned naturally aspired rear wheel drive cornering machines.

I've been reading a lot about the e28 and to surmise from the mostly European tuning guides, I have come up with a plan below.

I haven't stuck gold with the forums when it comes to the e28 in Malaysia, but that's probably because the old diggers that use them are buried in their work rather than in their phones.

Without more witticisms, here's the hot bits as follows:

#BRAKES

Upgrade brake pads
Brake hoses to braided lines
Lines flush
Master cylinder tweak ABS

#SUSPENSION

4 set Street/sport coilovers.
(need recommendation on brands)
So far Titan, bilstein, h&r
these would need to be adjustable and suitable for letting the ride height 20mm to 30mm

#GEARBOX
Inspired and rebuild

#DIFFERENTIAL
Inspect and rebuild

#ENGINE
Gasket kit
Pistons to high compression ratio
Stroker kit
Oversized radiator
Head rebuild (maybe a later M30 head)
Custom header manifold
Lighten flywheel
Balance pistons
Balance crankshaft and flywheel
Flush injectors or upgrade them
ECU remap or upgrade.
Hi flow catalytic coverter or removed
Cat back exhaust

The philosophy behind this car is to create a semi sleeper 5er.

What I wish to achieve with its performance is as follows gents:

More torque
More horsepower
Quicker and higher revs
Better pickup speed
Dynamite braking
Balanced engine
Stanced ride
Lowered ride
Stiffer cornering
Appropriate body roll

I still require much information to achieve the above. I would very much appreciate the knowledge of ya bros!

Cheers!

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I admire your passion for the E28 to be honest. I have the E34 and been a great 15 years till today.

Engine wise, the factory M20 / M30 engines are nice and can be fun to work on. But judging from your post, I am skeptical if the 12V engine can satisfy you for long. I just find that when churning more power from these engines, the sensation can be a bit dry. Especially if you sample the newer BM engines.

I would advise going for newer engines. Even the M50 / M54 is a good start.

As for suspension, the only 2 that you can consider is Titan like you suggested and RCS. Both of which I've tried among other custom coilovers. Titan built the most bullet proof shocks hands down though they aren't the best in outright handling or circuit performance. RCS are pure engineer based outfits and are very focused in handling though product life can be a pain in the ass. both are rebuild-able of course.

good luck

classixx_e28

Sep 27, 2014
Amazing Tom thanks for the info. I reckon you are spot on when you said an engine swap would be necessary.
And thank for your enthusiasm, I fell in love with the e28 the first time I laid eyes on her.

A few questions though, Would I be able to reuse the gearbox and/or what other mods do I need to achieve this? Mounting, etcetera.

I'm still new to the circuit and would appreciate a starting point on tuning shops that are reliable and stock the products I require. For example where do I go about finding a M54 motor?

Also I'm keen to see some photos of your e34.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Amazing Tom thanks for the info. I reckon you are spot on when you said an engine swap would be necessary.
And thank for your enthusiasm, I fell in love with the e28 the first time I laid eyes on her.

A few questions though, Would I be able to reuse the gearbox and/or what other mods do I need to achieve this? Mounting, etcetera.

I'm still new to the circuit and would appreciate a starting point on tuning shops that are reliable and stock the products I require. For example where do I go about finding a M54 motor?

Also I'm keen to see some photos of your e34.
Sure you can reuse the gearbox if you absolutely need to. The newer engines won't mate with the old box so a conversion sandwich plate has to be fabricated to the bell housing. But most gearboxes that comes with the new engine should fit the E28, though i'm not sure if the V8 ones would.

Engine conversions would likely affect the mountings, but chances are, they are as simple as the height of the mounts. No promises though

I trust BM World most and if you haven't already got a shop for BMs, you can try them

https://plus.google.com/109498854582295175178/about?gl=my&hl=en

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,need help&advice on this.

I own a perdana with evo3 engine.Just days ago I noticed white smoke was coming out of exhaust in the morning when started the car.I thought it was just normal in the morning bt it got worst after about just half an hour of drive,the smoke was coming out more and more especially in low gears.It even smoked during 100km/h above and in high gear.What really boogles is my turbo kicks in late around 4000+ rpm.The boost is only on 0.7/8 bar when I used to get...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience