turbo manifold crack

ahloy74

Feb 6, 2011
n sembilan
Hi all,

recently decided to remove my JSpeed manifold heat shield due to its rattling on idle. Its spot weld has came off. Suddenly notice a hair line crack measuring approx 3 inch long. During idle it doesnt produce any weird sound.

Will this defect affect performance?? As off behind the wheel, feel as normal as before.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi all,

recently decided to remove my JSpeed manifold heat shield due to its rattling on idle. Its spot weld has came off. Suddenly notice a hair line crack measuring approx 3 inch long. During idle it doesnt produce any weird sound.

Will this defect affect performance?? As off behind the wheel, feel as normal as before.
Even no leak sound, there could be a minute leak, but a crack anyway means breaking up. Once develop leak then need boost more to achieve normal level.
I crack two cast iron manifold already. Seems the VR4 manifold cast iron one very prone to crack....:banghead:

ahloy74

Feb 6, 2011
n sembilan
Even no leak sound, there could be a minute leak, but a crack anyway means breaking up. Once develop leak then need boost more to achieve normal level.
I crack two cast iron manifold already. Seems the VR4 manifold cast iron one very prone to crack....:banghead:
Ok bro, take note of that. Without realizing and i thought normal, the engine is working extra to compensate for the minute leak. Will find replacement from chopshop. Thks

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Ok bro, take note of that. Without realizing and i thought normal, the engine is working extra to compensate for the minute leak. Will find replacement from chopshop. Thks
Chop shop need to buy whole turbine together if not mistaken....:smokin:

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Hi all,

Imagine trying to suck through a straw with pin hole. If too lazy to take it off, then just clean the area and weld it. Otherwise have some shop custom make a tubular stainless steel manifold, last longer & spool better and faster. Also, wrap it up with high temp wrap. Good luck.

ahloy74

Feb 6, 2011
n sembilan
Imagine trying to suck through a straw with pin hole. If too lazy to take it off, then just clean the area and weld it. Otherwise have some shop custom make a tubular stainless steel manifold, last longer & spool better and faster. Also, wrap it up with high temp wrap. Good luck.
Ok bro. Noted. Contemplating on changing to tubular manifold but i really love the quick spooling of OEM cast manifold.
currently more on saving cost approach. Thks.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Ok bro, will try to look around or last choice, weld it.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Ok bro. Noted. Contemplating on changing to tubular manifold but i really love the quick spooling of OEM cast manifold.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Yours is the original cast iron one? Seems my mechanic say welding won't last....:banghead:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
welding cast iron can be done, if there is a sifu know his trade.
But wrongly weld, the crack will become a hole....

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA

Actually, the equal length tubular manifold should spool the turbo better than the stock one as far as I know. It is well worth the money for the long run.

ahloy74

Feb 6, 2011
n sembilan
welding cast iron can be done, if there is a sifu know his trade.
But wrongly weld, the crack will become a hole....
Ya bro, definately agree with you

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Actually, the equal length tubular manifold should spool the turbo better than the stock one as far as I know. It is well worth the money for the long run.
Oh. What i read was OEM is the best set up for fast spoling but will loose the top end. The tubular is good for mid and top.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Ya bro, definately agree with you

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Oh. What i read was OEM is the best set up for fast spoling but will loose the top end. The tubular is good for mid and top.
Both have advantages. This link explain better than I could :)
Log style vs tubular style | Turbobygarrett

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The "colour changing paint" by Nissan has taken auto blogs by storm last week. As everybody was raving on and on about how this development could change the world, only one site decided to double check with Nissan to confirm the story.

Turns out, you've all been taken for a ride!

The True Story
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience