Tuning with E85(Ethanol) nets big power

APTuning

Known Member
Why Ethanol E85???

Q & A About E85:

Q: Why should I switch to E85?
A: E85 is a renewable fuel source that is also environmentally friendly. Its performance is comparable to race gas at a fraction of the cost. Your engine will run cooler and your ETs will be less affected by atmospheric changes. E85 is not corrosive like methanol and does not leave carbon deposits like gas so maintenance is reduced across the board. With the proper tune-up your oil stays looking like new.
Q: What is the difference in ethanol and methanol?
A: Both fuels have an excellent intake air charge cooling effect. Ethanol (grain or ethyl alcohol) is a biofuel made through the distillation of renewable resources like corn, sugar cane and switch grass. Yes, this is the same process they use to make alcoholic beverages like liquor. Fuel ethanol is 180 proof when produced. 15% regular 87 octane gasoline is added to E100 to add a little lubricant as well as ease the initial cold startup. Methanol (wood alcohol) is produced through a chemical process. By its nature methanol is more corrosive and provides 35% less energy then E85 so you have to burn 35% more of it to make comparable power. E85 cost RM15.00 a liter, Methanol cost RM10.00 a liter,VP Q16 cost RM25.00 a liter.
Q: What type of performance can I expect from making the switch to E85?
A: It has been our experience that E85 with its 105 octane rating and high tolerance to detonation is superior to premium pump gas and equal to and in most cases better than 110 octane race gas. We picked up a tenth of a second and 2 to 3 miles per hour in the eighth mile after switching to E85 from 110 race gas and our engine runs 20 degrees cooler.

Save your engine,more power and save your RM...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Look the stock engine run 97octane vs Ethanol E85 dyno tuning
Advanced Performance Tuning: Tuning your Engine with E85(Ethanol)

Good Luck :proud::biggrin:

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Been looking for E85 info for a while since i read about them from ZooM mag.. Very interested in deed,even many of the race teams all over the world has switched from vp q16/c16 to E85/E100. But the can source ethanol easily. What about here in Malaysian market?

can low impedance injector like Evo3's 510cc support ethanols duty cycle? Or do i have to re-build my fuel system to a much higher spec to run ethanol (as a 2nd map).

APTuning

Known Member
when I went down to the SDB, I smell two cars use Etahnol, black saria JMF intake, Motec Silver Honda EG.
We can supply for you and someone for tuning research for race.Pls let me know how many barrel you need.

Small injectors stock engine, you give more pressure on your regulator.
If you are running aftermarket ECU,add 20-25% rich AFR on Idle compare with Gasoline
Example Gasoline 14.7 afr on idle,Ethanol must 13.0-12.5 afr.But depends on your Compression rasio
Also recomended to change bigger Injectors 1000cc or 1500cc.
Single Walbro pump are good enough for street race 500hp motors.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
interesting..

i'm using an AE101 Silvertop..

1587cc
Bore x Stroke = 81.0 x 77.0
Compression Ratio = 10.5
Injector Size = 295cc
Fuel Pressure Regulator = 2.55 kg/cm2

need advice on how to use the ethanol..

Thanx in advance :burnout:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
I would like to know whats the diffrence between industrial grade ethanol and race ethanol
industrial grade is rm4.50 for e98 and rm6.50 for e99

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
What about availability? It's not readily available as a viable fuel source alternative in Malaysia. So only for racing use?

If it's available at most fuel pumps my engine is totally going green with e85.

mivec682

May 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
E85 is a mixture of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, and is generally the highest ethanol fuel mixture. This mixture has an octane rating of about 105, which is significantly lower than pure ethanol but still higher than normal gasoline (87-95 octane, depending on country). The 85% limit in the ethanol content was set to reduce ethanol emissions at low temperatures and to avoid cold starting problems during cold weather. I experience it myself during cold starts, it takes a while before your engine fires up.

APTuning

Known Member
Change spark plug NGK BR9E good for Ethanol and over 45psi of boost

Note: Ethanol Industrial in malaysia it's not realy good for Performance Engine.
need to talk to factory blend for quality Ethanol.In Aussy and USA he already do for Ethanol race fuel

Good Luck :burnout:

mivec682

May 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Im running a Natural Aspirated 1.8 mivec motor, does this NGK BR9E spark plug compatible?
If not, what other spark plugs are advisable.

jada_bloom

Known Member
Jun 1, 2009
just my point of view :
Disadvantages of E85 - Ethanol can absorb water & if water enters the fuel tank.
It dilutes ethanol, reducing its value as a fuel.It causes problems with corrosion and phase separation in the gasoline mixture.

Ethanol dissolves almost everything.It absorbs and carries dirt inside the fuel lines and fuel tank, thus contaminanting the car engine system.

Ethanol is rich in octane content.It is highly flammable and explosive compared to gasoline.
It requires more attention to handle in daily life.

Advantages of E85 -
Health impacts.Replaces bad gasoline additives (MTBE and lead), which are sources of surface and ground water contamination and dangerous to human health.

Political impacts to consumer-voters.It potentially replaces crude oil, which is a finite, non-renewable resource.It can be domestically produced, thus reducing dependence on oil imports.It can potentially cut oil import costs

Ethanol, richer in octane, promotes more complete combustion of gasoline thus reducing exhaust emissions.

By the way, nice pics you got there AP tuning (It's rocco's yellow evo tuned by CFT and the E85 drag 4g63 belongs to Nikki Dunlop right? )

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
just my point of view :
Disadvantages of E85 - Ethanol can absorb water & if water enters the fuel tank.
It dilutes ethanol, reducing its value as a fuel.It causes problems with corrosion and phase separation in the gasoline mixture.

Ethanol dissolves almost everything.It absorbs and carries dirt inside the fuel lines and fuel tank, thus contaminanting the car engine system.

Ethanol is rich in octane content.It is highly flammable and explosive compared to gasoline.
It requires more attention to handle in daily life.

Advantages of E85 -
Health impacts.Replaces bad gasoline additives (MTBE and lead), which are sources of surface and ground water contamination and dangerous to human health.

Political impacts to consumer-voters.It potentially replaces crude oil, which is a finite, non-renewable resource.It can be domestically produced, thus reducing dependence on oil imports.It can potentially cut oil import costs

Ethanol, richer in octane, promotes more complete combustion of gasoline thus reducing exhaust emissions.

By the way, nice pics you got there AP tuning (It's rocco's yellow evo tuned by CFT and the E85 drag 4g63 belongs to Nikki Dunlop right? )

i also read from modified mag that we have to frequently clean/change our fuel filter because of the ethanols cleaning up inside..

i think the power/reliablity of e85 are well worth the trade-offs. The most interesting part for me is the charge cooling properties... higher boost, less-heat. But still need a good mapping rite?

APTuning

Known Member
Ethanol is a much cleaner burning fuel than gasoline, offering a significant reduction in carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon tailpipe emissions. Research shows that every city and state that has switched to ethanol-blended fuel has experienced improved air quality.this is good for Environment

E85 has an octane rating of 105, giving your car morehorse-power, burning cleaner and slightly cooler than gasoline. Ethanol can help absorb moisture in a fuel system and help prevent frozen fuel lines. Ethanol is also a solvent, and will keep injectors and other components clean

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
but in Msia why E85 ? , we do not have snow or cold weather, we should be running e98 :P

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
Despite all the pros and cons, apparently the major decision when it comes to any gov't planning to introduce e85 fuel is space/land. It takes quite a few acres of land to cultivate and grow the plants required to produce e85. Usually farm land. Which means less food for overall consumption. Big time trade off.

Unless the world devises a way to terraform desert land to be used in the growth of e85. Gobi desert anyone?

This won't add much to the discussion but i thought i'd be a smart fella and add that in.