Toyota to Create Hybrid Racer For 2010 Le Mans

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

Yomiyuri Shimbun, a Japanese newspaper reported that Toyota is considering a return to the 24 hours Le Mans race in 2010, this time with a hybrid-racing car. It is not the first time Toyota will be competing in 24 hour races using hybrids. They have participated in and won the last two Tokachi 24-hour endurance races in Japan using a retired Supra Super GT car that was retrofitted with a hybrid system.

The Denso SARD Supra HV-R had a single motor for the rear wheels and a in-wheel motors up front, a definite technological marvel. Toyota is already competing in Formula 1 but with the recent 5-year freeze on engine development, Toyota is looking to pursue other Motorsports avenues considering it wants to use racing as a laboratory for street technology. Audi and Chevrolet have proven that sports car racing is a much better bet to develop technology for the street rather than Formula 1.

A Toyota win at Le Mans using hybrid power will elevate its green technology profile in Europe where it plays second fiddle to diesel. Toyota’s last factory-backed Le Mans effort happened in 1999, when one of its GT-1 racers finished second overall.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey fellow enthusiast,
I'm currently driving a putra with an auto tranny.I'm thinking of transplanting a 4G93T(GSR).Although i have driven a turbo before but i'm still a novice in the turbo world.I was driving a bolt on turbo which i just bought second hand.Sold it away about 4 years back.
Now what i intend to find out is how much is a half cut of the GSR?What r the rates for the workmanship of the transplant?How much do i have to pay to get the car and the new engine no. to be...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience