top overhaul

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
yeah, double confirm with him.

it will be a full overhaul, like you mentioned, since its out.
he will charge me the same while doing the full.

actually, I very fearful..
not that I don't trust him..
I am worried, by doing , will I get to see more cans of worms..

*stress*
I go and smoke better..
i have been in that uncertain situation before, you have all the rights to doubt him since you are the one on the paying end through all these. i doubt a mechanic can charge a top set OH the same as full OH. based on my own painful experience, better get him to bring you through the procedures that he plans to work on the engine after its taken apart, and price :listen:

on a side note, hijack abit :burnout:
any opinions from sifus in here on the procedure Engine Balancing on engines that are 10years above, after it's being overhauled? will it help restore the engine's performance back to optimum? most importantly, is it necessary? :stupid:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
may I ask, does overhaul improves FC?

it's kinda ridiculous.. It took me half tank from Ipoh to Cheras, no jam.
1 full tank from Cheras to JB, no jam..

speed, 130-150km..

normal?
Technically, overhaul does improve FC because it cleans away all those excessive carbon deposits inside your engine. It helps your engine to breathe better and operates smoother almost like a new engine. In that sense, it should improve FC isn't it? Compared to an engine with a lot of carbon deposits.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

speed, 130-150km..

normal?
erm..... normally if its all spanking new, as with new engines, the fc gets better after the wear in period..... (meaning that it should get slightly better after driving abit)

whether that figure is better than your old figures, really depends on how poorly the engine was before the overhaul.... only you would know.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

speed, 130-150km..

normal?
Monitor your mileage, outstation mileage should always be better. If getting low mileage outstation means town driving mileage must be really bad.....:smokin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
on a side note, hijack abit :burnout:
any opinions from sifus in here on the procedure Engine Balancing on engines that are 10years above, after it's being overhauled? will it help restore the engine's performance back to optimum? most importantly, is it necessary? :stupid:
You should balance the engine while doing the overhaul. According to my friend who did it, suppose to be smoother and less vibration

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
Monitor your mileage, outstation mileage should always be better. If getting low mileage outstation means town driving mileage must be really bad.....:smokin:
town driving, is bad for sure.
lucky, I only drive this car for few days per month..
basically, it drinks a lot

You should balance the engine while doing the overhaul. According to my friend who did it, suppose to be smoother and less vibration
what is balance engine about?
I thought with the engine mount, it should be quite well balanced?

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
ok, after a few month of hard saving.
I finally got RM1.5k which remitted to my mechanic, will be sending the car next Saturday.

bought my own engine oil, shell helix, coolant, gear oil, spark plug & silicon drive shaft cap if need to be replaced.
a kamak td06 18g.

I told him to work within RM1.5k, nothing more as I don't have money for it unless really necessary.

Wish me luck..

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
ok, after a few month of hard saving.
I finally got RM1.5k which remitted to my mechanic, will be sending the car next Saturday.

bought my own engine oil, shell helix, coolant, gear oil, spark plug & silicon drive shaft cap if need to be replaced.
a kamak td06 18g.

I told him to work within RM1.5k, nothing more as I don't have money for it unless really necessary.

Wish me luck..
Good luck and hope your engine will come out better than before.

Did your 1.5k include engine oil, gear oil, coolant and all those listed above?

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
Good luck and hope your engine will come out better than before.

Did your 1.5k include engine oil, gear oil, coolant and all those listed above?

engine oil, gear oil, coolant and all those listed above, is I bought myself, hence excluded from RM1.5k, it should be suffice, provided.. not too many upset..:adore:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

engine oil, gear oil, coolant and all those listed above, is I bought myself, hence excluded from RM1.5k, it should be suffice, provided.. not too many upset..:adore:
I guess if so, your mechanic just need to get the top overhaul kit and whatever that needs replacing during overhaul. The rest should be workmanship costs.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I guess if so, your mechanic just need to get the top overhaul kit and whatever that needs replacing during overhaul. The rest should be workmanship costs.
Problem is when open up and see things need replacing, cannot leave out. If not, second time open, second time charge.....:smokin:
But usually top overhaul more towards cleaning the carbon, grind the valves....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Problem is when open up and see things need replacing, cannot leave out. If not, second time open, second time charge.....:smokin:
But usually top overhaul more towards cleaning the carbon, grind the valves....:driver:
Yeah, I understand this part about open up and see things that need replacing. I explain using this when friends are asking me about overhaul.

Cylinder head also need to be skimmed right?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Yeah, I understand this part about open up and see things that need replacing. I explain using this when friends are asking me about overhaul.

head only skim if its warped/not flat, otherwise xpayah

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Like bro. lsm1991 mentioned no need. Skim only if overheated and warped. Simply skim increase the compression later need higher ron....lol