To rev or not to rev?

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
hi, i'm a newbie around here. got confused abt this issue. some says tat revving while running in the engine will shorten its lifespan. but others say have to rev it more than 3000rpm once in a while during run in the make sure the piston and something inside gets worn evenly. can someone enlighten me??

Wayward

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
Penang, Malaysia
Visit site
well , i can't say much on whether its healthy for the car or not ....

but most of the time, i rev my TwinCam (not sports though) up to 5-6K , before shifting.

..... thats the problem we have with underpowered cars.

Wayward

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
as long as its within the redline, there shouldn't be any problem with or shortened lifespan.

one of the best way of prolonging engine lifespan is just by simply doing regular servicing and using good parts.

Xenix

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Kuala Lumpur, P
honda_fans.tripod.com
As I know.. for Vtec engine...

You got to rev it after run-in for certain kilometers.

Depending on your vtec specs.

For example, you need to run-in for 5000km..

1st, 1000km~1500km (before 1st oil change) rev it very low and very safe..

2nd then you see how healthy if your engine (you will know during the 1st oil change, if healthy then your oil won't have the sisa-sisa besi) you can rev higher.. even open vtec.

but please get advise from your mechanic. they know what is done in your engine. so they know better... to rev or not to rev..

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
most will tell u to just take it easy lo...the parts are all new and rough edges need to be smoothened out. and its not only your engine thats new, other components thats bolted on to it, like ur a/c compressor, alternator, gearbox, etc....

but once you've run in your engine properly...just whack 9 within the redline lar. thats what its there for...to tell u its safe to do it! ahaha :lol: but of course like most things, with harder use comes increased wear and tear. it cant be helped!! your tyres for example. u drive a lot daily and go through bad roads and stuff sure it will wear down fast right? compared to a guy that just uses the car to get to the store down the street...

same thing lo.... :)

PetrolHeaD

500 RPM
Dec 15, 2003
^^agree.

in a brand new car during the run in period DO NOT rev it above 3-4k rpm.

my friend's kelisa blew its engine after about 30000 km cuz he rev it 9 9 when new...

but sayang he didnt change turbo engine, father don let :P

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
Originally posted by PetrolHeaD@Feb 11 2004, 12:04 AM
^^agree.

in a brand new car during the run in period DO NOT rev it above 3-4k rpm.

my friend's kelisa blew its engine after about 30000 km cuz he rev it 9 9 when new...

but sayang he didnt change turbo engine, father don let :P
wah...really blew or just need to overhaul.......?? 30k km sudah letup ar...must be because of somethign else la i think...manatau it overheated and he didnt even know...hehe

when i got my kelisa i didnt dare drive it above 80km/h man...how the heck did i tahan...... :blink:

PetrolHeaD

500 RPM
Dec 15, 2003
blew la...something cracked...don remember if it was a piston, the head or the block. :D

when i say 9 9 i mean 9 9......this fella nuts one drive car. rev until meter habis :blink:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sony has announced the full GT 5's car list. It consists of 10000 cars. At launch it will only have 340 cars while the others will be developed in the future. Polyphony Digital will also develop cars for individual clients.

That means in the future we could have any car put into the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience