To New Beginnings

eadc88

May 18, 2016
Or maybe the people in Proton has passion, just limited by the crony suppliers.

The Lotus Elise mk1 was sold for 21k GBP in 1996, that's 22 years ago. Take that base, slap on a Proton design, put in a Proton engine, and price it for 21k GBP today, and I guarantee you it will sell. It will out-Caterham the Caterham (if you don't get this, find out what is the Caterham car based on). It will out roadster the MX-5.

R&D for the Elise is already sunk cost, the manufacturing is already mature, and you can further optimise it (seriously been building the same base for 22 years).

What Proton needs, is to ride on Lotus, like how Tudor rides on Rolex, and be a baby Lotus.

The car won't be mainstream, it will be the toy all of us want to have for the weekend, and price accordingly. But what it will get is a.Reputation which Proton really needs outside of Malaysia. b.Brand recognition.

Why Elise? Because it doesn't matter if Proton don't know how to put a car together properly, that car rattles anyway.

This is something that can be done in 12 months, and if you are aggressive, 6 months. You guys may not know but the original Elise Mk1, went from nothing to production in under 27 months.

Someone need to talk to Li Chun Rong about this, ask then not just focus on the SUV

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Someone need to talk to Li Chun Rong about this, ask then not just focus on the SUV
I can understand why the SUV. The market is shifting from sedan to SUVs. And the SUV, not the sports car, will be the bread and butter.

But we don’t know what is Proton working on right now — not much to work on for the engineering and design team as the SUV is materializing, I’m sure they are working on something by now.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I'm much more interested on what Modenas is doing right now......
Where is their super moped?

I need a new ride with a bit more oomph minus superbike maintenance.
250cc is not economical to run as daily ride, only economical about it is the fc.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I can understand why the SUV. The market is shifting from sedan to SUVs. And the SUV, not the sports car, will be the bread and butter.

But we don’t know what is Proton working on right now — not much to work on for the engineering and design team as the SUV is materializing, I’m sure they are working on something by now.
Easier for them just to re-badge right? Spend some more on R&D?....lol

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
A new beginning so lets grow some balls and say what we mean, mean what we say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izso

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

YEBWOY27

Apr 24, 2018
Kuala Lumpur
Or maybe the people in Proton has passion, just limited by the crony suppliers.
Agreed. I met a few proton engineers who said they had limitations but refused to elaborate on the problem. Yeah i wish proton would just rebadge something fun and cheerful. MK1 Lotus interesting choice but your rationale is solid. I wasnt old enough to drive when the Satria GTi and Putra were around but they must've been something special since people cant stop praising it even to this day.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
So can talk crap about the new government now? :biggrin:
Can. Just not lies. Fake news law is still in effect until parliament abolish or amends it.

Remember Tun said we will follow the rule of law.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

civic EH5 (local model)

just noticed my PS fluid are low and found out that my tie rod have leaks. what are possible solution?

p/s: i've replaced whole steering rack less than 2y ago

another question from pic below... do i need to replace bush? (outer tie rod)

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience