titanium exhaust piping

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
As a matter of fact, i've browsed thru a few websites which said to be offering titanium mufflers. These mufflers are actually partially titanium only. Maybe just the muffler body or the tip and most of them are not welded, just bolted on or riveted together with stainless steel body.

'[00] TRD

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
question, y are there some muffler tip wit a slight pore on it?? wats that for?

cannondale>

1,500 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
kepong
lan evo said:
prodigy:thanks for the info.from what u said i dun think there will be available in malaysia soon and it will be fucking expensive to do it.im not interested in the colour of it,i only like the lightnest
u can check there is a broken ti muffler at JFA. no one can weld it back. normally they use the spring to join the titanium pipping with the stanless steal exhaust braket joint. thats why nobody will buy a titanium muffler alone.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Yeah, titanium composition is totally different from stainless steel, mild steel so if one smart ass says he can weld them together, he's bullshitting actually.

Again, titanium is very very sensitive to oxidation(rust). Thats why i highlighted the importance of using argon gas to purge and trail the welding area.

Hmmm...maybe its time i pay Jaaffar a visit.

'[00] TRD

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
'[00] TRD said:
question, y are there some muffler tip wit a slight pore on it?? wats that for?
errmm.... sumthin like the cf muffler, near the tip there, there is one screw or sumthin else.. not sure heard fr which party, sayin that will create the psshhh ppsshhh noise??! :Not_Impressed:

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
prodigy said:
Again, titanium is very very sensitive to oxidation(rust).
I don't know nuts about welding titanium but titanium doesn't rust in the general sense of the word. Titanium, like aluminium, forms a protective outer oxide layer that gives it a lot of its durability and characteristics.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Silverfish dude, my line was taken out of context.

"Again, titanium is very very sensitive to oxidation(rust). Thats why i highlighted the importance of using argon gas to purge and trail the welding area."

When i say titanium is sensitive to oxidation, i meant during welding period when the titanium weld is still in molten metal. Any metal, be it titanium, stainless steel or duplex steel will form oxidation when proper care is not taken during welding. Oxidation is a weak point of the metal when welded and within a short period, you find that the weld is not strong anymore. So to make sure titanium doesn't form oxidation, you need to trail the molten pool with argon gas so that it cools down faster and also no oxygen will get into the molten pool.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
prodigy said:
Silverfish dude, my line was taken out of context.

"Again, titanium is very very sensitive to oxidation(rust). Thats why i highlighted the importance of using argon gas to purge and trail the welding area."

When i say titanium is sensitive to oxidation, i meant during welding period when the titanium weld is still in molten metal. Any metal, be it titanium, stainless steel or duplex steel will form oxidation when proper care is not taken during welding. Oxidation is a weak point of the metal when welded and within a short period, you find that the weld is not strong anymore. So to make sure titanium doesn't form oxidation, you need to trail the molten pool with argon gas so that it cools down faster and also no oxygen will get into the molten pool.
Mate, I'm sure you've got your facts straight. I'm just trying to clear up so that nobody misunderstands because of the "rust" word. Nanti they think titanium will rust like iron, and they go around telling people prodigy told them so, then jialat lor.

Apr 10, 2006
it expen but amazing

:shades_smile: hi bro...it is exe but for those are using it...they can explain the diff...before and after...em...some people may thing that thats is cray but for the performance term it is ok.....:angel_smile:

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
From the article, it does look like they're selling full titanium exhaust. The article mentioned that its really light so i won't be surprise if its full titanium setup. However, one thing is that we won't know what grade of titanium is it. There are a few grades available in the market, and depending on your application, each has its own characteristics and its own price. I do think that for automotive applications, the grade of titanium are normally comercials ones. That means its the easiest to weld and most commonly found around. The ones that are used in underwater, heat exchanger or aerospace are alot purer and more expensive. Anyways, USD3K for a set of exhaust is really really expensive for an average Malaysian. We've not even put in the workmanship yet.

The main advantage of titanium setup is not the horsepower gain, rather the weight savings. The extra power you feel is most likely due to your car being lighter. If you ask me, a nicely tune up stainless steel exhaust can produce the same horsepower as a titanium exhaust.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Ah...the biggest difference is that you call tell all your mates that you've got titanium exhaust system.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Forbes has named the 10 most sexiest cars in the world in the year of 2007:

Sexiest Car for Hip-Hop Moguls: Rolls-Royce Phantom
Sexiest Car for Hollywood Agents: Lexus LS Hybrid
Sexiest Car for Miami Beach Plastic Surgeons: Lamborghini Murciélago Roadster
Sexiest Car for Mobsters: Cadillac Escalade & EXT
Sexiest Car for Newly Divorced Dads: Chevrolet Corvette Convertible...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience