titanium exhaust piping

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
I doubt any exhaust shop in malaysian does Titanium Pipings.

Titanium is freaking expensive.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I think i does contribute due to its light weight (but hardly noticible compared to other components of the car). In terms of performance, i'm not too sure....if you ask me to buy titanium pipes for RM3000 in which it will be destined to be hanged under a car, I think i'll invest in other part of my car...it's just me, of course

malique

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
ampang
titanium piping dificult to install la, need vacuumed environment to weld, if not sure karat one.....

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
malique said:
titanium piping dificult to install la, need vacuumed environment to weld, if not sure karat one.....
vacuumed environment......lol do in space meh......

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
i wonder those mechanic with the astronaut gear with the car flaoting around...........

'[00] TRD

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
but once u start yr car for testin purpose, yr car will b gone due to momentum created!! LoL

anyway,back to topic; wats the good of titanium tip in muffler? looks better n?

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
OK, let me give an insight into titanium welding.

Titanium, among all metal is the most unfriendly, most difficult to weld. Its a very special grade of metal whereby its 30% lighter than steel and almost as strong as steel given the exact same dimension. Its also very very sensitive to air during welding. This means that special care is needed when one does titanium welding.

First and foremost, titanium needs to be cleaned properly prior to welding. And you need to remove air/oxygen from the area you wanna weld. Assuming you wanna weld a pipe, you have to flush/purge the pipe with argon gas for about 10 seconds or so. Again, that depends on the diameter of the pipe. The bigger the diameter, the longer you need to purge. After purging, you can start welding and after welding, you need to cool the welded zone also with argon gas so that oxygen does not get into the molten titanium zone before it cools completely. This is what you call trailing and you use argon as a trailing gas. You don't need a vacuum environment to weld titanium but rather it has to be relatively free from air so that it won't destroy the weld and have porosity in the weldzone.

Basically thats about it but what i'm trying to say here is titanium is not an easy metal to weld and whatever you read in magazine about titanium pipe are just marketing gimmicks. First and foremost, its not cheap at all. For a complete exhaust from extractor to muffler tip, i'm estimating that the cost alone for pipes and welding is probably 30K. Its that expensive!! And i've not even incluided in bending, whereby you need a good pipe bender to do the job as it'll crack when improperly bended. And if someone gives you bullshit that only the muffler is titanium, thats plain bullshit even if the best exhaust shop says so. Its simply because titanium DOES NOT bond with any type of stainless steel or carbon steel. Its a very unfriendly metal which won't bond even with the highest stainless steel grade. So you find that a true titanium exhaust will come from extractor right to the muffler tip. Boy, that is not cheap at all! Unless your exhaust shop owner tell you he uses glue to stick carbon steel piping on titanium muffler.

The only reason why people use the term titanium piping/muffler is that the blueish and goldish finishing on a so called "titanium muffler tip" actually looks very similar to a weldzone of a titanium material. The quality of a titanium weld actually is determined visually by the color it produces when its properly cooled. A good weld is normally blueish. That is why some exhaust manufacturers claim its titanium muffler tip when in actual, it only looks like titanium finishing.

So guys, i'm not saying "titanium mufflers" are lousy and bad. What i'm trying to tell you guys is to not succumb to marketing gimmicks. At the end of the day, the muffler may be the best muffler around but just becareful with what they claim and how they earn an extra couple of hundred bucks just because its 'titanium muffler'.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Oh yeah, the failure rate for titanium welding is quite high too. You find that even for a skilled professional, at times the failure rate could be 4 out of 10. Sometimes more, sometimes less. To reduce the failure rate, you use a fully automatic titanium welding machine. You just program in the parameters, switch on the machine and it'll give you pretty consistent weld.

lan evo

3,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
prodigy:thanks for the info.from what u said i dun think there will be available in malaysia soon and it will be fucking expensive to do it.im not interested in the colour of it,i only like the lightnest

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The handling of the car? Is it as good as Neo? Cause I am thinking of getting this car and change it into a tracking car.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience