tint film

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
nth...just thinking is it posible to tint the car window with DIY?but actually how they do this?i mean the worker at the shop....i am planning to tint my car film...but dunno where is the best shop for reasonable price la....any one can help?or any DIYer here noe how to do this?thanks thanks thanks

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
better let them do for u ler...if after you did it...got bubbles, no warantee ler.... :unsure:

I

Indecided

skills? steady hand and some agility.

tools? soapy water in spray can. set of plastic squegees, precision craft knife (or RM2 one with new blades ready) and plenty of cloths. Well lighted and clean enviroment. Patience (lots of it)

I tinted my home windows myself.. the results are good but the fact that my home windows are over 20+ years old means that there was some residual dirt which couldn't come off.. so too bad. bumpy here n there but nothing I can do about it. I learnt by spending days sitting at a friend's shop watching him tint car after car...

Anyways,

I would suggest you buy cheap tint (AKA brothers black tint) and practice on your home windows. or some glass lar.

Firstly, buy autosol. use it on the interior glass and grab some newspaper and rub briskly (especially if you had have previous tint on the windows) to remove the adhesive.. Very crucial. You dont' want dust all over, do you? Clean till smooth, use razor blade edge on the window to remove any excess sediment or substrate.

Place tint on the outside glass (you tint inside though) with the removable plastic layer facing you. Soap up the window so that the tint will hold, and then cut to size. Leave some leeway for "accidents" though :)

Then... practice removing and readjusting the tint. Now you're just playing with surface tension and soap.. no adhesive contact yet.

When you're ready, go inside, soap up the window. with the tint still on the windo outside, pick at the tint till you remove the plastic layer.. AS you remove it have someone spray the soap solution IN THE MIDDLE to help remove the plastic painlessly. DO NOT TOUCH this now.. the adhesive goes onto the window and nowhere else. You don't want oil from ur skin on it.

Transfer the tint to the inside window, with the adhesive facing forward...

place as uniformly as you can. readjust till the layer seems in position, and grab you squegee set. Start with the biggest, brush the middle areas out..uniformly and not roughly. Bear in mind if you're rough with it the squegee might wear out and turn into a scratching pad. Remove all visible water bubbles with the squegee. IN the corners, use the thinner squegees to even out the bubbles...continue till done.

When finally done, leave to dry. Do not wind windows down for 2 weeks.

Also, be careful not to scratch your rear defroster lines. Once broken they're gone.............

bryan90s

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
actually the film is rather cheap, only the labour charges are very high outside

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
thanks for ur opinions...anyway.....i give up for DIY it...bcoz dun think can tint it well and make it last.....so decide to do it at the shop....but anyone here noe any nice shop around PJ area?which brand is recomendable(cheap + good)?bcoz my budget is very tight....and i am newbie...dunno which shop to go...takut kena chop...so hope someone can guide me....thanks thanks~!~!~!peace~!~!~!

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
dude.. cheap thing no good.. good thing no cheap...

if u dun wanto regret after installing cheaper tints.. example: it is still hot or de performance of de tint is not enough... even de workmanship is good.. then u better save up ur money to get a better tint...

just suffer for some time.. then later u can enjoy good tint... mayb V-kool? u can feel de difference between good tint n cheap tints...

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
i noe...but what i expect is actually at least 50% diff lor...and my budget is aroun RM500 only....haha...why?because i am driving and old car only lo...but really suffer when driving under the hot sun...exspecially when i drive back to kedah from KL...damn hot u noe...so any suggestion?thanks thanks....peace~!~!~!

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
well.. rm500 can get a good tint liao.. but not as good as those v-kool wan lar..

mine also rm500 tint...brand i think is UV-Cool... its not dark.. it looks like stock windows... erm.. heat rejection is 74% if not mistaken.. forgot liao... still ok lar..

but i still like v-kool... de effect damn shiok.. u can barely feel de heat...

I

Indecided

well, for RM500 you can get V-Kool Gold Dust.. bit reflective and so-so.

At the end of the day you should know there are only so many manufacturers of metalized/polymer based tinting films in the world. So chances are they originate from the same manufacturer are possible. Just what grade.

AFAIK V-Kool is made by Southwall Technologies, which also makes Hüper Optik. Main difference is that V-Kool has a metallic coating, whereas Hüper Optik utilizes a ceramic-based coating.

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
I did on glass also..using air cool. The effect is very good, no more feeling hot when driving lo...Totally RM600, front window 98% heat filteration, the other 65% only...i heard nowaday they offer RM400++, better heat filteration. Don't know still got promotion or not. Puchong got two air cool branches. B)

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
v-kool gold dust at rm500? so cheap?

well.. personally i dun like gold dust look... cos it dun suit my car... n it reflect too much light... look like mirror... its good lar.. ppl kenot c u.. but JPJ may kacau..

sky_lor

Known Member
Jan 9, 2005
ho...like that ar....then most probaly will go for air cool...but puchong...nvr been before...shit...have to ask here ask there again liao...PJ area dun have any nice shop for tint?if really dun have then how about brothers ler?if brothers also no good then have to purposely take 1 day leave then go to tint it...haha....thanks for all the opinion ar...peace~!~!~!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I m driving a satria neo 1.6 (m). Would like some advise of wat piggy back or stand alone ECU to recommend. I heard Micro tec is good enough. I m looking for more torque than HP. Any idea i can get a 2nd stand alone ECU or piggy. i m currently holding on to a unichip b series ( before the Q version) not suitable for my cc. Any 1 would like to buy or trade in? Thanks for all shi fu's advise.:adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience