The Best First Mod for Passenger Cars

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
That's the thing, majority of Malaysians, even the "tuners", "modders" just get the biggest rim and the cheapest tire they can afford. Stating lower profile tires are "sportier" cause firmer sidewall with better handling.

I've seen so many Myvi's rolling in 17" with the absolute cheapest tires. For the same amount of money they could have gotten 15" with the best tires available.

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
That's the thing, majority of Malaysians, even the "tuners", "modders" just get the biggest rim and the cheapest tire they can afford. Stating lower profile tires are "sportier" cause firmer sidewall with better handling.

I've seen so many Myvi's rolling in 17" with the absolute cheapest tires. For the same amount of money they could have gotten 15" with the best tires available.
Still, okomoto model 003 easy to get ehh ?? :biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I'm still of the opinion that too thin tires actually hampers the handling especially on everyday normal road as the car tends to skip and hop across everyday road imperfections, losing traction. That's why I often already mentioned, for me I go for minimum 10cm sidewall, ideally around 10.5-11cm, so still got some flexibility to absorb those imperfections and maintain comfort at the same time, the best balance between performance and comfort while still looking relatively good or 'sporty'.

For most people, not just Malaysians, style and image worth 99% so they prioritize that first! Furthermore, tires will wear out hence most people not willing to spend much on them, as opposed to rims which theoretically should last forever (but then people also often keep changing rims to follow trend or they just got bored). So yeah, even if those big rims actually slow them down and hamper their handling, they'd still spend most of their limited budget on that instead of good tires, unfortunately. Oh well it's their money not ours so they can do whatever they want as long as they don't skid on their shit tires and bang our cars!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bump, skip, hop also depends how hard the suspension also. If stock suspension still not too bad even ultra low profile tyre....

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
I'm still of the opinion that too thin tires actually hampers the handling especially on everyday normal road as the car tends to skip and hop across everyday road imperfections, losing traction. That's why I often already mentioned, for me I go for minimum 10cm sidewall, ideally around 10.5-11cm, so still got some flexibility to absorb those imperfections and maintain comfort at the same time, the best balance between performance and comfort while still looking relatively good or 'sporty'.

For most people, not just Malaysians, style and image worth 99% so they prioritize that first! Furthermore, tires will wear out hence most people not willing to spend much on them, as opposed to rims which theoretically should last forever (but then people also often keep changing rims to follow trend or they just got bored). So yeah, even if those big rims actually slow them down and hamper their handling, they'd still spend most of their limited budget on that instead of good tires, unfortunately. Oh well it's their money not ours so they can do whatever they want as long as they don't skid on their shit tires and bang our cars!
People got different taste & opinion based on their experience & knowledge.....some ppl like thick tire profile while others like me still prefer the ultra low profile tire which less tire flex feeling compare to thick profile...I can feel the road & the tire contact which give me higher confident & also heart attack if hit potholes :laugh:

ARB are also good early investment...car instantly feel stiffer than standard & better in cornering

IHE mod usually come after that :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
People got different taste & opinion based on their experience & knowledge.....some ppl like thick tire profile while others like me still prefer the ultra low profile tire which less tire flex feeling compare to thick profile...I can feel the road & the tire contact which give me higher confident & also heart attack if hit potholes :laugh:

ARB are also good early investment...car instantly feel stiffer than standard & better in cornering

Wider tyres for looks, unlike bro. 6UE5t goes practical balance of performance and comfort.....:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Low profile or high profile tires doesn't make the biggest difference. Its the tire itself. Example is fake Lancer with original crap CC5 change to XM2. Night and day difference to NVH and high speed stability.

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Wider tyres for looks, unlike bro. 6UE5t goes practical balance of performance and comfort.....:driver:
Well I don't like thick tires also, so yeah I like more balanced between comfort, performance, and looks which IMHO is around 10-11cm sidewall in general and I don't want to go above 11.5cm. I've used 9+ cm also and I just don't like it much. Even with softer suspension, it just feels different and still more harsh coz the hit from the road imperfections is felt like more immediate with the thinner tires.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Low profile or high profile tires doesn't make the biggest difference. Its the tire itself. Example is fake Lancer with original crap CC5 change to XM2. Night and day difference to NVH and high speed stability.
Yup, tyres also makes a difference. Harder sidewall, higher speed rating....:smokin:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Well I don't like thick tires also, so yeah I like more balanced between comfort, performance, and looks which IMHO is around 10-11cm sidewall in general and I don't want to go above 11.5cm. I've used 9+ cm also and I just don't like it much. Even with softer suspension, it just feels different and still more harsh coz the hit from the road imperfections is felt like more immediate with the thinner tires.
personal preference lah...my friends sill jokes with me, my ps3 195/55 15", look like donuts.
As long its planted on the road mahh...:smokin:
sometimes i think back during drive with wrongly match suspension, i can say tyres is the last defend.:driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
personal preference lah...my friends sill jokes with me, my ps3 195/55 15", look like donuts.
As long its planted on the road mahh...:smokin:
sometimes i think back during drive with wrongly match suspension, i can say tyres is the last defend.:driver:
Usually is tyres since OEM mostly give you normal tyres only.....lol:rofl:

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
headlamp was my first mod. Since travel back and forth PG <-> KL during night time. pv6 has a bad headlamp light output. Retrofit hid so wont blind others and JPJ..haha

Then is braking system. Better brake fast then driving fast. Something like that hahaha. Kena perli when NA pkai twin pot and oversize rotor.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
headlamp was my first mod. Since travel back and forth PG <-> KL during night time. pv6 has a bad headlamp light output. Retrofit hid so wont blind others and JPJ..haha

Then is braking system. Better brake fast then driving fast. Something like that hahaha. Kena perli when NA pkai twin pot and oversize rotor.
I like your thinking better than many others who think of going fast first than stop fast.....lol

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I like your thinking better than many others who think of going fast first than stop fast.....lol
Hahaha..speed does not kill, the force of inertia due to sudden stop does..and lane hogger..hahaha

anyway, tyre too mod i did b2b with brake.. 3 years ago bought my self a set of federal rpm tyre..not bad..:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

help! there was some stupid construction going on nearby, and the road was filled with watery cement, so now my fenders and some of my bumper has cement stains on them..

how to remove!? scratch it off slowly?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience