TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Test: Nismo S-Tune March

Photos / Words: Tom
Models: Angeline, Remus, Remon, Chris
Car: Nismo Malaysia - Edaran Tan Chong Motor

Okay, I wasn't a fan of small cars. In fact, I wasn't really that excited the day before taking this Nismo S-Tune equipped March out. Don't get me wrong, It does interest me, for it being one of the few times I've driven a small car, and for it being a Nismo pumped-up small car.

What's different on the outside about the S-Tune? hmm, There's a nice front spoiler, rear roof spoiler, pair of side rear deflectors. Seriously it makes a huge difference. Just look at how it looks..It rides on a complete Nismo suspension system, that has Rays forged MM8 wheels bolted on in 15"s. Nothing much on the engine but uprated breathing performance from the Nismo air filter as well as a Nismo rear muffler. Some more aesthetics such as oil and fuel filler caps and some stickers.

So it's Friday. Took the key. What? no keys?. Instead i got some gadget that looks like a remote control on your pack of car keys but only it's key-less. What you do is, put in your pocket, be in the radius of 80cm from the door handle and the March automagically unlocks when you press the the small switch attached to the handle. Something you don't get on ordinary cars.

The inside. Suede-like vanilla interior. Nice. Everything you see on the dashboard and console are pretty much integrated. Modern and practical. Still, no keys, you reach for the ignition switch, turn it and it also starts up with no fuss.

Being inside reminds me of Ikea. Everything looks and feel like it's been well thought of. The design, how far and where everything is placed, fantastic!, Simple yet Designer-ish. It's got lots of legroom, headroom, the windscreens and windows are nice and big. Everything is just perfect. Sure doesn't feel like an average small-car or even a regular sedan really.

Lets go. I engage D. Letting it move off on its own of the car park and to the exit. Right, no cars. So I stepped on the accelerator. Wow. the throttle response is just amazing. It actually felt good!. This is really something. No stupid judders, no hassle, nothing. So much for my impression on small cars i thought.

Next was zipping around through the heart of Kuala Lumpur. It's great. smooth uphill , downhill, sudden change in directions, braking, detours and irregular road conditions. This is crazy, It not only manages well at those, It owns them. This is one nippy pocket-rocket! [Full report Below]

[More Below]

Full report and More images below:

Attachments

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Did I mention the lights turn on automagically as well?? Try going through tunnels in the day!. As the March senses decreasing environmental brightness, It turns on its headlights! Great for ladies who forgets the lights in the evening.

Soon, Seafood appointment with the guys in Klang to plan what's for tomorrow for the March. Wonderful. Away from the urban to the sub-urban in this little thing. Let's see how it goes.

The Nismo suspension setup and wheels must be it. The drive on the highway is unreal. How could a car of this overall size and wheelbase be so good at less than legal speeds? I mean cruising in the Nismo tuned March at over 130km/h is not a problem, in fact it's pretty enjoyable!. Did I just say cruise? Cruise to say the least, the March has plenty of juice left to burst itself to purposeful 160km./h and above zones! thought it does hop about gently. As much as the firmer Nismo suspension like to own the roads, certain laws of physics does something to short wheelbase cars naturally.

Talking about speeds, the Nissan engineers must have high hopes on the March. The 4 speed automatic has plenty of zip in the city and yet still lots of zoom in the highways. It's also in the right gear at the right time. Just what you need in such a car.

Shooting time.

The theme? Young and fun. It's just what this Nismo S-Tune March is. Something a young lady would be in. You know, bringing her friends out for shopping then off to the movies, catch some sun at the beach and so on.

So Angeline drives to meet her friends. They're at the park for some outdoor games. She likes the Nismo March for it's feminine yet masculine dynamics. It's just perfect for her. All she needs is her handbag, get into the car and go. She backs out the car with no fuss, no blind-spots. In just a few moments, she's on the highway not feeling out of place cruising along with the big boys. In fact, she does more than keeping up with the bigger boys in it.

She smiles as the Nismo S-Tune March has the uncanny ability to intimidate the regular drivers through its overall stance. Piling on the joy as she piles on kilometers. As she go through the city, She feels the aura of exclusivity generated. Suddenly it all blends in to her funky poolside outfit theme.

"It's so me!", she says. closing the lid beneath the sun visor, puts on her shades then some lip balm while waiting for the lights to turn green. "This is definitely for me!, my Ray-Bans fits in the top compartment and the mirror is great!", she further strengthens it.

So she arrives. Her friends, Remus and Remon greets her. As they walked over, they nod at it and acknowledge the Nismo S-Tune March. Immediately it's a part of the spirited and fun them. The Nismo character separates the March from the rest while beaming a signal which in-the-scene car freaks would understand.

The guys got Angeline to show them the highlights of the Nismo S-Tune March. How it fits them, the way it goes and as they complimented the Nismo S-Tune March, they moved on to the exterior. Remus and Remon were particulary excited about the front. The well designed headlamps as well as the grille which nestles the front indicators. Such subtle design features contributes to what makes the March so special.

It got me wondering why such small cars are brought into this part of the world. Small hatches like the Nissan March which isn't cheap for the masses? But understand this. Firstly, the March is not your average budget car that's filling up the streets. Secondly, it sure doesn't look like an average and third it does not drive like an average.

The Answer? Think novelty. Think feminine. It may be men's second choice for themselves, but definitely one of the first for their female partner or daughter.. People who buys these enjoys the exclusivity and the pedigree of the March.

The only complain I have? The March needs some noise insulator. It gets pretty noisy on some roads and especially when it rains as the water splashes the wheel wells.

Tom

For More about Nissan and Edaran Tan Chong Motor, go to:
http://www.nissan.com.my

Specifications   
Transmission:E-ATx: Electronically Controlled 4-speed Automatic\

Engine:   
Type:  CR14DE, DOHC, 16-Valve, 4-Cylinder
Displacement(cc) 1386
Ignition System  Nissan Direct Ignition System (NDIS) [Distributoerless]
Fuel System  32-bit ECCS (Electronic Concentrated Engine Control System), Electronic fuel Injection
Max PowerkW (ps) / rpm 133 (98) / 5600
Max TorqueNm (kg-m) / rpm 137 (14.0) / 3200
Chassis:   
SuspensionFront Independant Struts
 Rear Torsion beam
BrakesFront Ventilated Disc
 Rear Drums
TyresSize 175 / 60 R15

Notable Features:
Speed-Sensitive variable-speed windscreen wipers
Automatic Headlamps swtich on/off in response to ambient light level
New Generation i-key (intelligent key) system remotely locks and unlocks the vehicle

Nissan Triple Safety Concept:
Information SafetyControl SafetyImpact Safety
CSR Halogen Headlamps
(Complex Surface Reflector)
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
Braking Assist System (BA)
Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD)
Zone Body Construction
(crushable & Safety restraint zones)
Side impact beams
6 SRS Airbags (Driver & Passenger)
(Side X 2)
(Curtain X 2)

Fully Imported, On the road price (A) : RM118,701.40

S-Tune Kit  

RM

Aero Kit  

Front Spoiler   
Roof Spoiler   
Side Deflector Set   
MM8 Forged 15" Wheels  8,055.00
Suspension Kit  4,500.00
Rear Muffler  2,555.00
Air Filter  600.00
Oil Filler Cap  500.00
Fuel Filler Cap  450.00
Emblem  30.00
Nismo S-Tune Kit (B)  

Total Nissan March 1.4L (auto) S-Tune (A+B)   

RM 139,291.40

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
sounds nice for my sister who always forget to turn on the lights...very perfect for a lady or a girl...mostly for a girl...sweet!!!!

DoNuT

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
www.drifthouse.net
woah... automagically :) great shots too.!

good work TOM :)

bikers and skaters... hmm can i join? hehe

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Aarrgghh! Why drums at the rear???

For that price, at least disc brakes!

kinki_kidz®

Known Member
Feb 1, 2004
Visit site
Max Power
kW (ps) / rpm

133 (98) / 5600

eh? why the kW rating is far higher than the PS rating?
i thought its in the other way round?

DewA ArjunA

Jun 22, 2005
PJ
Nice Kit... the ps and kW yup confusing...
Well the skaters getting the chick in car.. =)

CraZieThug5057

500 RPM
Dec 11, 2005
that cupcake is hot can intro to me? she had any id in this zth?