Suzuki Swift: 1.5 (m15a/zc21): Discussions/Opinions

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Hi. I have been searching through zth for a while now and even cross checked the Tom. It seems that suzuki swift discussions faded and the interest has died down. Searched on other malaysian sites as well and can't get much. So for now, I'll start one very specifically for the Suzuki Swift 1.5, (M15A / ZC21). Mine's a year 2011 ckd model. I've not done anything to my car except install Pivot Spark Earth and Pivot Voltage Stabiliser (from my previous car).

1) Fuel Consumption.
I feel that my cars' fuel consumption is rather bad. 40L of RON97 gets me barely 400 km, light footed driving. (almost never go more than 3000 rpm. Usually at around 2000 to 2500 rpm). Meter on the dash shows 11 km/L. I've seen many having a steady 13 or 14 km/L.
My opinion....
- Change to ngk iridium plugs (there was mention about a laser plug or something). That may help improve FC and slight performance a bit (I'm not expecting much but more of a efficiency kind of feel).
- Change to NGK performance plugs (got this from zc21s.blogspot.com).
- Change to a better engine oil.
- considering SAFC (have not come across any swift using this from internet yet but I've not done a very thorough search yet).

2) Car noises.
A bit of rattle that seems to come from front arms. Also, just 2 years, and the springs of my driver seat is squeaking. I'm just 74 kg. I don't think that's heavy, or is it?
My opinion:
- can't do much about the seats. Change them, i guess. Have anyone had squeaky seats and changed to a better one that lasts longer without squeaks?
- I once ran over a drain without cover (don't know which mofo removed the drain cover and it was a dark area). I think that may have damaged the left arm because sometimes, when I go over certain pot holes, there's clanking sound, like something is loose. I didn't check and didn't remove it yet because there's a chance that if i raise the car off the floor, the damaged part will fall apart. Dangerous yes, but i don't speed for now and plan to check and repair it only later. Other than that damage, I was thinking to install this product called Stiff Ring. Read in one thread that it seems to help quite a fair amount to reduce noises, stiffen the car's handling, reduce body roll. Not expecting a miracle but few users of Stiff Rings reported improved over all driving experience.
- Install spring bumper retainer. Helps a bit though not expecting miracles. Read it and it seemed to have helped a bit more.
- Install sound proof material on the door, floors and roof.

3) Handling
Body roll is rather bad. I'm not expecting much since it's a ckd model and it's not entirely designed for taking corners fast / hard. Some improvement would be good for safety, though.
- Fender bars.
- front under carriage bar.
- engine bar strut bar. Hope to find one that runs along the top of the firewall.
- boot bar. I am hoping to find one that does not cut across the boot space. Maybe one that runs along the back of the rear passenger seat.

4) Performance
Seems like performance is starting to fade. Not that significant but I guess I could be a bit sensitive. No harm to have more performance in the car even though I may not need it all the time.
My opinion
- greddy e-manage ultimate. Read that some swift that has installed this, no issues reported from those I have read. Also some improvement in terms of performance as well as slight improvement in fuel consumption under normal driving conditions.
- cold air intake box (those flat ones).
- suitable and better-than-original air filter.
- carbon fibre bonet (perhaps one with an air duct or air scoop), carbon fender, bumpers. lighter car equals better fc and performance I supposed.

All of the above are what I had in mind. My first goal is to improve fuel consumption. Swift owners, do share your mileage and if you had done something to improve it, do share it as well. Feel free also to share on all other areas that has brought benefits to you as well in whatever areas. Thanks :)

Imprezho

Known Member
Dec 30, 2003
Hi Bro,

Finally i get to comment about this thread since most of the threads have rather died for Swift owners.

Im driving a year 2007 Swift CBU 1.5.

Here are my comments:
1) Fuel Consumption.
- Rather on the high side. Approx around 17-18 cents p/km.
- Just gotten my 80k major service done.
- Dash shows 10.4 p/km is rather on a very high side before servicing the car at 80k.
- Servicing done: HONDA 5W-30 engine oil, oil filter,air filter,NGK laser plugs,cleaned throttle body, 2 new ignition coil plugs,ATF oil, engine flush.

2) Car noises:
- My driver car seat lever makes noises as well initially but i got the seats removed and spray WD-40 and it worked.

3) Handling:

Rather good for a CBU model as im running stock settings except for 16 inches rims with 205/50/R16 wheels.

4) Performance:
- Very bad accelerations and performance using Suzuki semi & fully syn engine oil as it doesnt give good mileage at all.Apparently these engine oil is formulated by Petronas which is why it causes this result. I switched to HONDA Engine oil with the same grade 5W-30 running on Esso/Caltex RON 95 fuel keeps me satisfied.

Im still in the midst of running my first full tank based on my 80k service interval. Will share the mileage with you.

Here are the overall status:

SUZUKI SWIFT ENGINE OIL 5W-30,DASH SHOWS 10.2-10.3 AVG: 350KM FULL TANK
Differences: Bad mileage, bad acceleration, car feels heavy.

HONDA ENGINE OIL 5W-30,DASH SHOWS 10.4 AVG: TBA (TO BE ANNOUNCED)
Differences: Better smoother acceleration, improved torque, car feels lighter

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
That's pretty poor fuel consumption guys. Wow I thought the Swift was more frugal.

My turbocharged 1.3L boat gets an average 12km/l for mixed city driving with boost ~0.4 bar. 14+km/l for highway, and ~8km/l boosting 0.8 bar all the time on highway.

satria_95 I recommend getting an engine bar strut tower bar & rear anti roll bar to begin with. those make the most significant difference. I'm not driving a Swift, but it shares the same characteristics with the Swift, front McPherson strut and rear torsion beam suspension.

for Performance.. my recommendation is don't do anything to it... other than turbo.. the N/A gains is going to be minuscule for amount of $ invested.. unless you plan to spend a lot of money.

Spark plugs.. NGK & Denso iridiums are fine..

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Imprezho,
Hey, dude. Thanks for your comments. Yeah, most of the swift threads are dying or already dead. Even singapore's swift thread doesn't gain a lot of popularity. Kind of a waste because swift is actually a nice car to drive in, other than the occasional bad body roll and the bit of slack in over all performance.

1) Performance
I was reading your last line in performance;
"- Servicing done: HONDA 5W-30 engine oil, oil filter,air filter,NGK laser plugs,cleaned throttle body, 2 new ignition coil plugs,ATF oil, engine flush."
I was using suzuki engine oil because of the 8 free service coupons which covers oils and labour. I got 1 more service coupon to use so I might as well use the last one and after that, I plan to get my own oils, etc. some questions if you would not mind.
a) Do you get your own oil filter and air filter too? Or you use the ones that the service center/service shop provides?
b) Have you been using the NGK laser plugs for long time or you just changed it during the recent service?
c) Did you change the ignition coil plugs because it was time to change it, or was it to improve something in the car, or was it already becoming faulty?

2) Car noises. I'll try removing the driver seat and use wd-40.

3) Handling. I think your car may be built better than mine in this area as yours is CBU and mine's CKD. CKD probably stands for Che Kai Drivability. (che kai means lousy in cantonese) hahaha. Will add in the bars commented by ixeo in his post and see how much improvement i get out of it.

4) performance. I'll try out the Honda 5w30 oil that you mention probably in my next 2nd service. The upcoming one, i still have the free coupon so I'll just use that one more time. But I'll need to change the plugs because it's up to 35,000 kms and the plugs are not changed yet.

Thanks for your feedback. Will be back for more updates when I have them. :)

Ixeo,
Thanks for sharing. For the stabiliser bars, I'll keep in mind your advice on engine tower strut bar and rear anti roll bar. I've not sure if my swift already has a rear anti roll. I'll check it out later and if it doesn't have, I'll get that first.

For performance, I agree with you on the turbo. Pay big sum one time, get big power immediately (so to speak). Speedworks complete AXT turbo kit is RM8000, all in. They didn't say what's included in the "all in", though. Adding bits and pieces gets much less power but easier on the wallet. I don't actually intend to squeeze a lot of power out of this car because I am hoping to change a more powerful buy-n-drive car in about 1 or 2 years time. Maybe a car with stock 160 bhp, or something equivalent to a mazda 3 sport would also be fine. That's why I'm considering adding some bits and pieces for a bit more power on the swift for now.

By the way, I noticed that you sell Denso or Iridium. Some questions if you won't mind :)
1) how much are the iridium laser and the normal iridium plugs for swift?
2) what is the diff between laser and non laser iridum plugs?
3) any warranty? If yes, what and how does the warranty cover?
4) anything I should know before i buy and install it? don't worry, I won't expect 10% increase in bhp just from the plugs alone haha :)

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Imprezho,
Kind of a waste because swift is actually a nice car to drive in, other than the occasional bad body roll and the bit of slack in over all performance.

I actually think the Swift looks very good. Especially in blue. Till today it still looks very good.

I was using suzuki engine oil because of the 8 free service coupons which covers oils and labour. I got 1 more service coupon to use so I might as well use the last one and after that, I plan to get my own oils, etc. some questions if you would not mind.
Last I checked, Suzuki genuine oil filters are made in Japan. Even Toyota ones are made in Thailand. I would choose Suzuki oil filters if given a choice.

For performance, I agree with you on the turbo. Pay big sum one time, get big power immediately (so to speak). Speedworks complete AXT turbo kit is RM8000, all in. They didn't say what's included in the "all in", though. Adding bits and pieces gets much less power but easier on the wallet. I don't actually intend to squeeze a lot of power out of this car because I am hoping to change a more powerful buy-n-drive car in about 1 or 2 years time. Maybe a car with stock 160 bhp, or something equivalent to a mazda 3 sport would also be fine. That's why I'm considering adding some bits and pieces for a bit more power on the swift for now.
If you plan to change the car in a year or two, I think you shouldn't spend that much money on the Swift, keep the money for downpayment of your next car.

By the way, I noticed that you sell Denso or Iridium. Some questions if you won't mind :)
1) how much are the iridium laser and the normal iridium plugs for swift?
2) what is the diff between laser and non laser iridum plugs?
3) any warranty? If yes, what and how does the warranty cover?
4) anything I should know before i buy and install it? don't worry, I won't expect 10% increase in bhp just from the plugs alone haha :)[/COLOR]
1. I'm selling for RM150 shipped. cheaper than Eneos or N1 Racing and most shops.
2. laser iridium is by NGK, i don't sell those, its just branding, Denso Iridium are laser welded too
Iridium Laser Welding: DENSO Iridium
3. spark plugs no warranty boss. normal wear and tear.
4. it lasts way longer than normal plugs, rated 30k miles ~48000km, but I use mine till 80000, no issues.

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Ixeo
Mine's blue. :) hehe but quite some scratches already. haha For the oil filter, if it's made in japan, can still keep using it. Will check with service center. For performance, spend a bit is ok la. haha don't expect a lot, just a bit of here and there. hehe itchy hands la. haha
RM150 for 4 plugs? I believe Denso and Iridium are the more trustworthy brand, right?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Denso is company/brand, iridium is the material (like titanium is a material). both NGK and Denso is trustworthy. Denso is owned by Toyota.

Although I sell Densos, there is absolutely nothing wrong with NGK. But the reason why I personally favor Denso is their direct relationship to Toyota/Lexus vehicles because apart from engineering skills, they have access to car manufacturer's testing and engineering data.

Yes RM150 for a set of four.

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Ixeo
thanks for the explanation. I think I'll try out NGK first and see how it goes. :)

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
By the way, anybody know where i can get this kind of window visor? It stretches down all the way until the side "neck" of the side mirror.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I think you can find more of them at the club website, but i think lately its quite dead also.

sarutobi84

Known Member
Aug 12, 2009
Johor Bahru
swift-turbo-malaysia.blogspot.sg
I found the swift exhaust manifold quite restrictive.anyone know where to custom?warranties going to end soon so plan to mod a bit.
Gear ratio for 1st quite low at 2.8 only.dont dare to play traffic lkght pickup.but once start rolling should be not bad.by the way its auto only.hihi

vyruzj

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Swift Club Malaysia site is no longer accessible :(

BTW i drive a white manual Swift Sport :) Great to see a few more passionate Swifters here hehe...

To improve the fun factor & driveability, i highly recommend to start off with the tower bar and rear anti-roll bar 1st like bro Ixeo rekomended (stock swift does not have rear ARB). This should improve cornering stability. Lowered springs / coilovers is another option if tower bar and ARB does not satisfy but be prepare to fork out more $$$ and get ready for harsh ride.

Lighter & slightly wider wheels for better acceleration and grip. Drop in panel filter to breath a lil' better.

If you have more to invest, maybe exhaust system? But FC & exhaust noise will be higher.

Happy modding :)

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

I found the swift exhaust manifold quite restrictive.anyone know where to custom?warranties going to end soon so plan to mod a bit.
Gear ratio for 1st quite low at 2.8 only.dont dare to play traffic lkght pickup.but once start rolling should be not bad.by the way its auto only.hihi
I got mine from Tonkka, its 4-2-1 full stainless steel. The price might put off some but one look at the great welding work... yummy... Can also do survey at Supercircuit at Sunway or Jiann Hang at Batu Caves...

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

By the way, anybody know where i can get this kind of window visor? It stretches down all the way until the side "neck" of the side mirror.
Bro, i guess these original equipment stuff can only get from Suzuki or from Japan. All those selling here are either from China or Taiwan.

I once had them mugen style visors, took them off after 1 month. I like it clean and simple lines.. hihi...

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
ixeo
I find the swift websites not very active too. The only one that seems to have enough swift posts is pakwheels which is located at the middle east or something.

sarutobi,
Unfortunately, I find that the entire car is restrictive overall. haha power is not that great, top end is not that good, bla bla bla but a good enough car to drive in general.

vyruz,
another swifter. cool. I'm looking around for rear anti roll bar for a start. haven't had the time to actually go to a shop to get it yet. I am also looking for a frontward airbox. mine's currently sucking air from bottom, beside the battery. Mine's like this....

I'm looking for this...

:)

vyruzj

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
ixeo
vyruz,
another swifter. cool. I'm looking around for rear anti roll bar for a start. haven't had the time to actually go to a shop to get it yet. I am also looking for a frontward airbox. mine's currently sucking air from bottom, beside the battery. Mine's like this....

I'm looking for this...

:)
rear ARB, can look for Ultra Racing - economical, cusco will burn a hole in ur pocket tho'

I have also changed my airbox to bcrews airbox.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just received my car last friday and noticed the 'check engine light' never lights up just before starting the engine. If i'm not mistaken, the light should be turned on automatically for a few seconds before/during starting the engine?:confused: Anybody have any experience about this? Thanks in advance.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience