Suspension - Testimonials please

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Car: Myvi 1.3
Brand and model: Zerone Hi Lo / Soft Hard adjustable
Durability: 1 year and a month (Still feel very stiff)
Roads used on: Normally is KLIA road to Cyberjaya.
Rate and height: 5k Front & 3K rear, 12 clicks front and 5 clicks rear. 3 fingers height all rounded.
Comfort: 5/10 Feel stiff on above setting. Can feel your body muscle is shaking when passing the yellow line on the road. Got try stiffer before and tak tahan. Rear passenger will complain it's too stiff and my elder sister refused to sit on my ride.
Handling: 7/10 Feel good in cornering paired with 195 55 R15 PS3 tyres. Not really bumpy or shaking while cruising on 110km - 120km in highway while going to Penang from Seremban. Feel great in highspeed comparing to normal speed while everyday i travel to work.

Car: Myvi 1.5
Brand and model: KYB RS Pro Adjustables
Durability: Approaching 1 year
Roads used on: Normal road in KL
Rate and height : 6k front, 3k rear. 2.5 fingers front, 3.5 fingers rear
Comfort: 9/10 It feels like stock. But when the load exerted on the absorbers, it could get stiff because of the active damping. So some very uneven high speed highways can get a little bit bumpy.
Handling: 7/10 A lot better than stock. Body roll is less but still noticable (its a myvi, no body roll means it the roof and doors are removed). Can corner at 110kmh on compared to 80kmh using stock.
Price: RM1350 including installation.
Satisfaction: 8/10. For this price and this kind of comfort, quite satisfied la
cvkit, ur rear is using 3k spring rate. Do any of your rear passenger complain to you before? Don know if i increase my spring rate will it be more comfy?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
So far, nope. I ferried 2 heavyweight passengers before, 1 above 100kg and another 90kg. Both slept like pigs during our drive from Ipoh - KL. 3k is actually very soft...so if the damping rate is low, you'll get a sampan. Damping is good, its comfortable.

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Kinda like what Shiro-taikor said. It's a combination of the right damper stiffness with springs. BC Racing is very similar to my Improve Hyperflex II. What spring rates you running on? For my Wira I am using 6k front and 4k rear. The damper clicks range between 7-9 clicks front and 6-7 rear. It's comfy at any speeds except when there's very uneven ground and I'm driving above 100km/h then sometimes I feel the car floating over the uneven ground and followed by a uncomfortable rally landing on the ground. It's bone jarring if I set it to my preferred 27 front 24 rear.

Which is why I rarely exceed 100km/h with this car in town unless I know the roads real nice like MEX :biggrin: . Haven't taken it on long distance trips yet.
My bc comes with front 5k and rear 3k springs. I've tried alot of combinations.. 10 front and 7 rear. Nice on normal roads but very bouncy on high speed outstation. I've also tried 0 front and rear and 5 front, 0 rear just to test how soft it is.. But apparently more of the bouncing..

Now im trying higher damping setting at 15 front 10 rear. Havent got a chance to test at high speed outstation travel. But town driving is bumpier than normal... Perhaps I'm running on toyo r1r which makes the ride harsher than on usual tyres? Previously running on 17" with norm road tyres and I set 10 clicks front 7 clicks rear. Pretty comfy town driving but bumpy on outstation high speed drive.. Sigh.. Still haven't found out best settings yet. Headache

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Just need to find the right setting for outstation high speed travel. Currently as I touch 110-120 above.. Really bouncy.. Luckily I'm driving alone. If I were to fetch anyone sure gonna be a vomit bag in my car... Sighhhhh

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

There was once I was driving up till 180-200.. It's like riding a horse LoL

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Car : Toyota Corolla 1996, AE111
Brand : Cusco
Model : Zero 2 (Hi-Lo Soft Hard)
Spring : Swift Front 7kg, Rear 5kg
Durability : Just have it installed for few weeks. Will see how it goes.
Roads used on : Mostly city drives. A slight 10-20% on highway i would say.

Optional
Comfort : 9/10, prolly this is because my first set of adjustable coil-over. So i was expecting too much of harsh ride but turns out all fine.
Handling : ??, i'll leave this part unknown until i properly try it out but at the moment it is a positive feeling.
Setting : Front 195/50/15 T1R, Rear 195/55/15 NT5000. These sidewalls aren't hard enough for whacking around.
Camber : Front -1.4, Rear -1.1
Wheels : Enkei RPF-1, 15x7jj, +35offset.

Last edited:

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
been using local made hi-lo, without softhard adjustable, setting 5 times, finally front 6, rear 4, quite happy wif te comfy, onlyyyyy.......sometime feel like no absorber......mayb due to the front n rear travel stroke not match,.....fren said my car not stable, unpredictable,.......finally bought bc fr taiwan......coz.....when i seat on my fren car wheresb front 10kg, rear 8kg, on normal road cruising, more comfort compare to my local custom 6k front, 4k rear.......wat a waste of money n time.....

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

bcoz of long stroke, on windy road, feel like not stable, xpecially downhill cornering,....fren told me if u want to play cornering...... have to use short stroke.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My bc comes with front 5k and rear 3k springs. I've tried alot of combinations.. 10 front and 7 rear. Nice on normal roads but very bouncy on high speed outstation. I've also tried 0 front and rear and 5 front, 0 rear just to test how soft it is.. But apparently more of the bouncing..

Now im trying higher damping setting at 15 front 10 rear. Havent got a chance to test at high speed outstation travel. But town driving is bumpier than normal... Perhaps I'm running on toyo r1r which makes the ride harsher than on usual tyres? Previously running on 17" with norm road tyres and I set 10 clicks front 7 clicks rear. Pretty comfy town driving but bumpy on outstation high speed drive.. Sigh.. Still haven't found out best settings yet. Headache

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Just need to find the right setting for outstation high speed travel. Currently as I touch 110-120 above.. Really bouncy.. Luckily I'm driving alone. If I were to fetch anyone sure gonna be a vomit bag in my car... Sighhhhh

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

There was once I was driving up till 180-200.. It's like riding a horse LoL
If I'm not mistaken, BC and HyperflexII use the same technology or basically is the same thing. If it is, then first 10 clicks are linear dampening. It's very hard to get it right for the first 10 clicks. I have tried "releasing" the abs full extension (jacking up the car) and letting it "relax" for about 5 minutes, it feels completely different than before. I think we should just drive slower. Hehehe.

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Yeah bro.. My issue now is outstation drive. Sigh.. Apparently soft settings doesn't work. Need to test high damping for outstation travel.
Town driving no issue :)

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
usually for tuning suspension, start from the middle, then increase or reduce.. that is also in the instructions of most japanese if you guys read before, the extra clicks are for use when you spec a different spring.... which most of the time, is not the case.

What I want is, when the car hits a pothole, or on uneven road, the car doesn't feel 'floaty' (too much damping) or bouncy, (damping too low). its slighly different feel, but to some it feels the same. try on a variety of roads, i usually start with harder damping 2-3 clicks from middle point, unless spec different spring , on roads that are slightly uneven, then reduce slowly. when damping is hard, you will feel it 'floaty'. I reduce till it disappears.. usually its within 2-3 clicks +/-. Depending on got many clicks.. if 32 clicks i will adjust 4 clicks at one go.
exception for dampers which got different/rojak springs like you get on halfcut shops

you cannot use the damping to compensate for soft/hard springs.

So far, thats how I do it for my own and other friends car..

If you guys got different method , then feel free to share.

oh, also that suspension height i use the body of the car as reference point, not the body of the damper.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
That's pretty good advice! Will try that out tomorrow.

Shiro - do you have any problems with the dampers changing characteristics over a period of time at the same hardness settings? Kinda like the oil getting congested or something or hardening somehow?

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
sweet bro thanks!! so that means start at mid point, in my case bc mid is 15 clicks. so drive and adjust lower each time by 2 clicks? adjust front or rear or both at the same time ya??

my car is a fiesta hatchback.. some say better to have rear stiffer than front for oversteer / counter understeer of FWD cars. some say front must be stiffer because front engine is heavier that rear load.. so im pretty much confused.

today drove to ulu yam and genting old road using front 15 clicks, rear 10 clicks (my definition = 0 softest, 30 hardest)
seems pretty planted on high speed and hard cornering.. but bumpy road still bumpy.

my only issue now is highway drive very bumpy.. probably need to test and test and continue testing till i found the sweet spot..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
That's pretty good advice! Will try that out tomorrow.

Shiro - do you have any problems with the dampers changing characteristics over a period of time at the same hardness settings? Kinda like the oil getting congested or something or hardening somehow?
well oil do change viscosity with temperature, so yeah it does change, but once it cools down, it probably returns back to normal.

I don't think shock oil breaks down so easily since its not 100% used for lubrication, so the the heat is less, so oil in shocks don't break down so easily... unless if the seal is busted.
Well, that one is based on my logic. i dunno for sure really, but since many halfcut aftermarket shocks still work well despite the age... i am guessing not.

What you might be feeling is the weight difference..

the damping you set is usually based on the weight of the front/rear of the car.. so when you put 2-3 passengers in the rear, totalling 150-250kg, it will make the compression damping will feel lower, and the rebound too high, so it feels different.

so those adjustable motorised damping adjustment aren't 100% gimmick.. they are gimmicky, but not too much.

Thing with adjusting suspension is that we are limited by the features of the damper.

some dampers have compression damping adjustment only (if you need higher rebound damping, change shock oil). (basic coilovers)

some have compression and rebound damping. (mid range)

some have seperate compression and rebound damping. (high end)

so definitely have to work with what you have to get the nicest ride possible.

Also, harder springs aren't always a good idea. I run 12/10kg springs and I have to run semi slicks at the rear, else the car will be very tail happy. on the upside, my car has very little bodyroll, and oversteer is compensated easily.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

sweet bro thanks!! so that means start at mid point, in my case bc mid is 15 clicks. so drive and adjust lower each time by 2 clicks? adjust front or rear or both at the same time ya??

my car is a fiesta hatchback.. some say better to have rear stiffer than front for oversteer / counter understeer of FWD cars. some say front must be stiffer because front engine is heavier that rear load.. so im pretty much confused.

today drove to ulu yam and genting old road using front 15 clicks, rear 10 clicks (my definition = 0 softest, 30 hardest)
seems pretty planted on high speed and hard cornering.. but bumpy road still bumpy.

my only issue now is highway drive very bumpy.. probably need to test and test and continue testing till i found the sweet spot..
well, if you run harder springs, it is natural the car will feel bumpy, as long as the bump is not bone jarring.

Also, read the manual, japanese shocks usually specify exact starting point.. (usually near middle) so you can reduce setup time... not sure with BC shocks.

but pretty much bumpy roads will never feel the same like standard car. If you want to compare, then compare the settings to stock lightweight continentals like golf/audi a1.. they don't take bumps well like normal cars too, but they are not extreme so they are a good baseline to know how a sporty suspension should 'feel like'.

lightweight cars will never beat the comfort of big cars due to sheer weight.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I started at middle and was bumpy so I maintain in the front but reduce in the rear....

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Thanks for the heads up. I'm on 5k front and 3k rear spring rate. Bump is bearable for me. IMO I feel the rebound (coming up) is high. Thus if I set soft damping, on highway dips It feels like horse riding. After setting higher damping, feels more control on the shocks. But high damping comes with a different type of bounciness. Like the shocks are very restless, tends to bounce a Lil bit even on flat roads lol. Gotta give and take! Still tweaking the rear though. Hatchback cars on coils really different than sedan cars or wagon.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
depending on your suspension damping control you can revalve or change to thicker/thinner oil for adjustung the rebound damping, or simply tweak the settings if yours is compression and rebound type damping. rebound is a bit hard to play with as it is speed sensitive, what is good for slow speed will be bad for high speed, also the weight when loaded unloaded also makes a difference. compression is usually easier as you only increase to the point where the suspension doesn't feel harsh..

but rebound damping shouldn't be too hard, or it won't return to full stroke in time for the next bump.

and yeah, the hatchback weight is why it feels different from sedans.

also why hatchbacks feel nicer at high speed with some aerodynamic stuff on.

Last edited:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
I have been using my coilovers for more than a year now. I have tried playing with the setting all the while. From what I have experienced, the harder it is, the better the cornering and I personally find it better on the highway because it is not that bumpy. When set it soft, it's more comfortable for daily driving because of the condition of the roads where I live.

I have also tried setting softer at the front and harder at the rear but it's not to my liking. Cornering is a lil scarier. This could also be due to my tyres. I am using normal tyres only.

Mine is a sedan. With BC coilovers. front 10k and rear 6k. most of the time only 2 persons sitting at the front. No one at the rear.

the damping you set is usually based on the weight of the front/rear of the car.. so when you put 2-3 passengers in the rear, totalling 150-250kg, it will make the compression damping will feel lower, and the rebound too high, so it feels different.
Based on this, how should I set the damping rate when I have passengers at the back and want them to feel as comfortable as possible? My parents use to complain when they sit in my car. Lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi,
i have a 4g13 carburetor car inside my Lmst, i found out the distributor is having problem cause engine jerk when AC on, rightnow intend to buy a new unit,question is can i use wira 1.6 model of distributor put it inside my 4g13 carburetor engine?if next time i want to convert my carburetor system to efi,can the carburetor model of distributor to be use in efi system without need to change?
beside this the stuff to convert to efi system is it ecu with wiring,intake magnaflow with...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience