Suspension - Testimonials please

Roger89

Known Member
Jan 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Good thread..

Car: Wira SE 1.5 (A) a/b

Brand and model: Sachs Super touring abs (wira 1.6) + se springs front + 1.6 rear springs
Durability: 1 year then I upgraded (see below)
Roads used on: tarmac

Comfort: 7/10 ... Front abs did not match se springs as the absorber rate was harder. Has more body roll and stiff front sus. Rear was perfect match comfy and responsive.

Handling: 6/10. A lot of front body roll..

Brand and model: HWL hi-lo soft-hard 6k front 4k rear
Durability: 1 month (still in use)
Roads used on: tarmac (malaysian roads)

Comfort: 6/10.. bumpy on slow speeds but comfortable on highways. Actually not too bad. I can give it a 7/10 oso because my level of tolerance is more than my passengers...

Handling: 7/10.. Car follows the contour of the road very well.. when I observe other stock cars the chassis dont go up and down so much but mine does haha.. The car does not oscillate more than once when hit a bump. Cornering is good with minimal body roll. But as all wira cars, u need to know how to create oversteer with the brake throttle and steering then the handling will be superb.

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Car: Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8G
Brand: GAB SA + Stock Springs
Durability: 1 1/2 years +-
Roads used on: Mostly city drive with occasional bumpy roads and highways.
Comfort: 7/10 - A bit stiffer than the stock springs but still very comfortable.
Handling: 5/10 - Real nice when 1st installed, can feel the difference in cornering. Enjoyed it about 1 year+ then it begin to feel
like I'm using stock springs....

Raymond852

Oct 10, 2012
chicago
Hi all,I like many cars but i have civic 504 and i want to some information about my car
Car: Civic SO4
Engine: SOHC 1.6 Manual
Brand and model: Tokico OEM shock with original spring
Durability: I bought them brand new about 2 years ago and have covered about 50,000km. Recently could feel them going a bit soft and my front wheel hit the wheel arch when taking fast corners and hitting bump at the same time.
Roads used on: Highway (40%), kampung roads (40%), town (600%)

honda lift kits

Last edited:

markblurberry

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just curios Raymond, where can you get tokico shocks? I search for them high and low, and only found Kayaba. Why tokico? they are one of the best from Land of the Rising Sun, and they basically oem for many tuners - including TRD - not sure if they do it for Honda i.e Mugen etc.... Well TRD sportivo suspension which cost a mind blowing 6.5K is available at Wing HIn...and they are not serviceable, and they are oem by Tokico...probably the materials use is more quality...I am using one on my ride...they are great!!

GasPedal

Known Member
Jun 18, 2008
im curious to know where did you buy your suspension parts and how much did it cost...
mr Jenwhite,
for my absorber i replace at sungai petani, kayaba gas type rm160 each, normal rm140.
for my coil spring i replace at kepala batas, GAB [at box mentioned cold rolled] rm620 complete set.
it still feels like new, i wonder when it gonna go soft....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Car: Toyota Mark X 250G (GRX120)
Brand: Tanabe NF Springs on stock dampers.
Durability: don't know, as the spring is only installed a few months ago and this is a recon 2008 car so don't know how old the stock dampers already.
Roads used: Mostly city drive mixed with highways.
Comfort: very nice, almost like stock springs, just slightly stiffer only.
Handling: slightly better than stock with less body roll and feels more planted.
Looks: just drop nicely with still 2 finger gap in all four corners when using 17' rims & 245/45 tires. Never scrape under body to any speed bumps or ramps yet neither any tires grinding to fender even when fully loaded with 5 people.

So overall happy with my purchase.

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Somehow I can't fail to notice.. Some of you guys shared on better comfort at high speed with stiff springs n suspension. But lower comfort at low speed..

Is it true if suspension is tuned stiffer then it would provide better comfort at high speed? Because sometimes in town driving, I set low damping setting on my bc racing high low soft hard. And it's pretty comfy at town driving.. But when I go outstation, it's bumpy when I hit speed above 100 and beyond its even bumpier..

Was thinking if I set damping setting stiffer, would it help in this case? For better high speed comfort when going outstation. Sifus pls give some comment and feedback! Tq

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Car: wira sedan e3
Brand: Titan hi low adjustables
Durability: using it for nearly 7 yrs..only 1st service last year (entitled 2 free service s promised by Titan)
Comfort: front on 8kg 6kg rear...x too hard but tend to scrape when going on certain bumps..stick on road like on rails :) I'm planning to upgrade to 12kg fronts n 10kgs rear..(y?drove a fren's car on hwl wiz dis setting..excellent)
Handling: quite happy coz feel like on rails with less body roll and feels more planted.
Looks: just drop nicely with still 2 finger gap in all four corners currently on 16s...

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Somehow I can't fail to notice.. Some of you guys shared on better comfort at high speed with stiff springs n suspension. But lower comfort at low speed..

Is it true if suspension is tuned stiffer then it would provide better comfort at high speed? Because sometimes in town driving, I set low damping setting on my bc racing high low soft hard. And it's pretty comfy at town driving.. But when I go outstation, it's bumpy when I hit speed above 100 and beyond its even bumpier..

Was thinking if I set damping setting stiffer, would it help in this case? For better high speed comfort when going outstation. Sifus pls give some comment and feedback! Tq
Yes, stiffer springs and appropriate damping gives better higher speed stability and comfort, but suspension setting isn't just about damping.

what damping adjusts are the rate/speed the springs compress/rebound, thus compression damping and rebound damping are adjustable on high end dampers where springs are changed often like in a track car. If you start to use the dampers to compensate weak springs, something is going to break.. usually the absorber seals.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 05:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

Car: wira sedan e3
Brand: Titan hi low adjustables
Durability: using it for nearly 7 yrs..only 1st service last year (entitled 2 free service s promised by Titan)
Comfort: front on 8kg 6kg rear...x too hard but tend to scrape when going on certain bumps..stick on road like on rails :) I'm planning to upgrade to 12kg fronts n 10kgs rear..(y?drove a fren's car on hwl wiz dis setting..excellent)
Handling: quite happy coz feel like on rails with less body roll and feels more planted.
Looks: just drop nicely with still 2 finger gap in all four corners currently on 16s...

price dude? I'm running 12/10atm on a civic... 10kg is seriously too stiff for rear.. 8kg also quite hard already, 12kg fronts an 7-8kg rear for wira is good enough i think, the difference is due to cast iron block so front naturally spring rate harder

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Oh I got this bout 7yrs ago..price at that time I paid for was 2.8k..wiz 2 free service..x sure whether same applies now..

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Car: Nissan Sunny 130Y
Brand and model:
Front Shock : Monroe Sensatrac
Rear : TRD AE86 Adjustables
Springs : Dr Spring Lowered Spring
Durability: Monroe got soft after 2 years (I touge a lot), TRD Adjustables was halfcut and it was still working perfectly till my car died (10Years). Dr Spring springs had a 10years "No Drop" warranty. It did not drop
Roads used on: All types. Touge in Balik Pulau, A few Autocross, Gymkhana, Daily travel to work, Highways

Comfort: 7/10 This setup is nice for just 1 person or even with car load of 4
Handling: 9/10 It's just a Sunny. But after trying so many other mixture out there, this is the optimum (at a budget)

** Additional Note: Was given a chance to pilot a TiTAN Nissan Sunny in an Autocross. That setting blew me away.
This is the review i wrote in 2004 in this very forum
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...-suspension/601-titans-on-a-nissan-sunny.html

===================

Car: Honda Civic
Brand and model: Tanabe
Durability: Got it halfcut and preown by a friend. Never serviced, never change.
Roads used on: Mostly Tarmac. Touge in Balik Pulau, Daily travel to work, Highways

Comfort: 5/10 After owning it for a year, I started to look for a new car to buy... TOO HARD.
Handling: 8/10 Handles corners well, keep car low and minimal body roll. But a bit bouncy flying over bridges at high speed.

===================

Car: Toyota TE71
Brand and model: RS*R
Durability: Got it halfcut and this is a frankinstein car. Lasted till the day car died.
Roads used on: Mostly Tarmac. DRIFT, Touge and DRIFT....

Comfort: 8/10 Surprisingly on a stripped down TE71, It is actually very comfortable. Hard/Firm yet can daily driven.
Handling: 8/10 Almost 0 body roll, keep car low and well composed even after flinging at weird angles in a Drift.

RS

===================

Car: Lancer GLS
Brand and model: GAB SS Full Adjustables
Durability: 2 Years still running ok. However, wasn't satisfied with the tuning for my car.
Roads used on: Mostly Tarmac. Highways, Long distance traveling & Sepang Track a few times.

Comfort: 5/10 On low speed its ok. On high speed it's very bouncy. Worst in Soft settings. Hard settings, car will be jumping all over the place
Handling: 8/10 Reduce body roll compare to stock, keep car low (If adjusted low), On smooth surface, sticks to the road, Sepang... even the hardest setting is still not so hard...

Mono tube design absorbers. better than twin tube design

** Note : Needs to be customized or retuned to your liking if you buy it offshelf. Or maybe it's just me..

===================

Car: Lancer Evo X
Brand and model: Bilstein shocks with Eibach Springs
Durability: 4 years in Japan. Replacing soon. Front shocks internal bushins worned off. A bit disappointed since it's a Bilstein.
Roads used on: Mostly Tarmac. Highways, Sepang Track

Comfort: 10/10 Super love the comfort level in ANY speed. Behave well over bumps. Very comfortable at highspeed, have to check the Speedo to know how fast the car is going.
Handling: 9/10 Very good in almost every aspect. In Sepang, there are body roll (with ASC Off), but not too bad. (Also suspected because the shocks are worned off).

*** I am looking for alternative suspension sets too... for the time being, got a new set of Bilsteins shipped in from Japan to replace these... Damn happy with the stock suspensions.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Car: Myvi 1.5
Brand and model: KYB RS Pro Adjustables
Durability: Approaching 1 year
Roads used on: Normal road in KL
Rate and height : 6k front, 3k rear. 2.5 fingers front, 3.5 fingers rear
Comfort: 9/10 It feels like stock. But when the load exerted on the absorbers, it could get stiff because of the active damping. So some very uneven high speed highways can get a little bit bumpy.
Handling: 7/10 A lot better than stock. Body roll is less but still noticable (its a myvi, no body roll means it the roof and doors are removed). Can corner at 110kmh on compared to 80kmh using stock.
Price: RM1350 including installation.
Satisfaction: 8/10. For this price and this kind of comfort, quite satisfied la

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Kinda like what Shiro-taikor said. It's a combination of the right damper stiffness with springs. BC Racing is very similar to my Improve Hyperflex II. What spring rates you running on? For my Wira I am using 6k front and 4k rear. The damper clicks range between 7-9 clicks front and 6-7 rear. It's comfy at any speeds except when there's very uneven ground and I'm driving above 100km/h then sometimes I feel the car floating over the uneven ground and followed by a uncomfortable rally landing on the ground. It's bone jarring if I set it to my preferred 27 front 24 rear.

Which is why I rarely exceed 100km/h with this car in town unless I know the roads real nice like MEX :biggrin: . Haven't taken it on long distance trips yet.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Oh I got this bout 7yrs ago..price at that time I paid for was 2.8k..wiz 2 free service..x sure whether same applies now..
thanks. got an old school car want to custom a suspension. figured want to do it if its reasonable price now

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
thanks. got an old school car want to custom a suspension. figured want to do it if its reasonable price now

Give them a call or better still...give them a visit..I assure u x b disappointed :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

BMW has unveiled a video about the testing of the latest weapon at Autodrome de Miramas. The BMW is capable of a high speed of more than 300 km/h (app. 190 mph), Launch Control vs. smoky burnout, a wet handlingcourse. The BMW engineers are optimizing the new BMW M5 even for extreme conditions. Watch this awesome video on the new twin-turbo engine. Farewell V10, welcome to twin-turbo V8...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience