Sunroof

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
I got a few questions hope some sifu can explain and give some details

1. Those cars that originally come with sunroof is its chasis body rigid or less-rigid because of the sunroof compared to a similar model without sunroof.

2. For cars that don't originally come with sunroofs I see there are two methods used to make it;

i) chop the original roof and replace with one chopped from a car which has it. would it mean that the chasis body is less rigid as the roof was choppped off and replaced with another?

ii) cut a hole and install a 3rd party sunroof modification. would cutting a hole to install it make the chasis less rigid than option (i) or same?

I'm more interested in chasis strength and rigidlity for a car with original sunroof and/or with a modified one. Would the roof stand the car weight if turtled or in an accident? Would there be more bodyroll and unbalance during corners? etc.

Water leaking is secondary. Thanks in advance :lol:

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
I dont think the sunroof will make such a notacle difference in chassis ridigity for a road going daily car.

unless of course, u push the car hard very often.

junauto

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
is it legal to do sunroof?

junauto

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by deadman@Jan 30 2005, 22:37
jpj dont allow original car that down have a sunroof to get a aftermarket roof
We can't modify anything nowadays :(

junauto

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by boggysv@Jan 30 2005, 23:12
dun modify ur ICE or cushion or floor mats wei....use ori!!!
Someday, thats going to be illegal. :lol: I remember my friend said the police requested 'duit kopi' for not having tyre tube caps <_<

Stupidest thing ever.

JasperSSP

Known Member
Nov 21, 2003
say lar kena curi...

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
so how do police tell if the sunroof is ori or not?
i mean some models got some don't.
erm erm...example is like civic....jdm one got but local one dun have.
so how?

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
In a car chasis, as long as you cut and weld anywhere, there will be lost is chassis-rigidity. But anyway, we all loves to have sunroof in our car so here is what you can do.

Go buy the whole roof with the sunroof of the same model, then cut your original roof and replace it with the sunroof eqquipped unit. The simplest.

Or if your car model never came with sunroof, you can buy from other models, cut the roof as much as posible away from the sunroof glass and weld them.

do not buy aftermarket sunroof as you will only be cutting areas as big as your sunroof and might lead to water leakage.

gibod_78

1,500 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by junauto@Jan 30 2005, 22:26
hmm...

end last year.. my fren's satria went thru puspokom on his own (no runner) registering 4G91.. with just installed sunroof from honda DC2 ... during the inspection, the car have not yet do paint job and can even see cement and patches on the roof..

well... no questions asked oso.. :P

its pure luck ..

Seraph

2,000 RPM
Jun 20, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
does it mean if I mod a sunroof the body stiffness will be compromised if i chop off the roof and replace it with a roof with a sunroof?

syiokGILER

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by junauto@Jan 30 2005, 22:26
legal or not .. depending on yur car .. if yur driving a malaysian car .. I can see that is illegal laa .. proton mana ada sunroof ..

if yur driving civic .. I think yur on the safe side .. I dun think the the police know which model has and which one doesnt have ..

bout the chasis .. I think tak usik loorr .. coz when talking bout chasis, it refers to the body frame .. roof only bolt on maa .. not included as body frame .. am I rite :unsure: :unsure:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just to let u guys know that skunk2 fake intake manifold has arrive on our shore.
so for those potential buyer,be aware what u paid for.what i'm afraid of is some
of the shop pass it as genuine item.i'm not saying that they purposely sell u a fake
1 and claim it to be genuine but some of them doesn't even know how to tell the
different.that's not all,some of their supplier don't even bother to tell them.
for those of u who don't know how to differentiate between them,just look
at the vacuum...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience