Sunday Video : Clarkson's Car Years - How Japan Took Over the World and Then Lost It

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak

Watch this video from almost a decade ago where Jeremy Clarkson, the host for the older Top Gear, gives his explanations about the decline of the British Motoring Industry and the rise of the Japanese Motoring Industry and then, ironically lost it when their competitors buck up and keeps the gap close. Very informative video, check it out!

YouTube - ‪Clarkson's Car Years Episode 2 - How Japan Took Over the World... And Then Lost It (Part 1)‬‏

YouTube - ‪Clarkson's Car Years Episode 2 - How Japan Took Over the World... And Then Lost It (Part 2)‬‏

Attachments

rageaccel2

Known Member
Dec 22, 2010
Shah Alam
Re: Sunday Video : Clarkson's Car Years - How Japan Took Over the World and Then Lost

JC, whatever cars he don't like, he condemned.. always has.

Jeff86ks

Known Member
Apr 11, 2006
Re: Sunday Video : Clarkson's Car Years - How Japan Took Over the World and Then Lost

well, Japan vs Europe = 1 vs don't know how many. not really fair isn't it?

ultimatevolution7

Chosŏn Inmin'gun 4.25
Jun 30, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.flickr.com

well, Japan vs Europe = 1 vs don't know how many. not really fair isn't it?
Why unfair? To you, or any consumer, I mean.
What do such facts matter? All consumers do is buy.

Japan doesn't need so many manufacturers. They each make a large enough range of cars, made in massive consumer numbers. They are replaced almost yearly, you can't keep up with what's new.

10 manufacturers? And what, one million different models?

There's a whole lot more in it for European cars; beginning with exclusivity and brand specialty.
They don't exactly care about mass manufacturing, the days of communism are over. (Japanese manufacturers stick to this agenda hence their sales are also dominating Europe, Asia is out of question)

Sure, they have their range of cars that are made in large numbers,
but they are not replaced every one or two years like in Japan.
They leave them as they are for longer. They are not exactly interested in rivaling the Japanese.
Japanese always wants to get above their European counterparts, when the latter actually does not even compare themselves to the Japanese.

Each of them (both the Europeans and the Japanese) have made iconic and somewhat legendary cars in their history. Today's perception of great European cars have come down from this.

Europeans; they prefer to manufacture as they can make, and not as much as people buy. The Japanese, as you know, does the latter.

Japan doesn't have luxury marques making small ranges of fine, hand-made automobiles in very limited numbers either. They're all about domination.

It comes down to head or heart for the average middle-class consumer.
A fail-free, ultra reliable, highly efficient and cheaper Japanese car, or
a reliable-but-expensive-when-things-go-wrong, car?

But on another note, the Europeans and the Japanese focus on cars of different categories, which is why the manufacturing numbers are totally different (and so are the pricing)

The world's best small cars/small sedans are Japanese, whereas all the cars in the middle/large exec, luxury, SUV, sportscar, supercar categories are all dominated by the Europeans.

Last edited:

wsukun

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2008
London Calling

Japan doesn't have luxury marques making small ranges of fine, hand-made automobiles in very limited numbers either.
what about LFA? arent those hand-built?
tell me those are not exclusive enough to fit here

ultimatevolution7

Chosŏn Inmin'gun 4.25
Jun 30, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.flickr.com
what about LFA? arent those hand-built?
tell me those are not exclusive enough to fit here
You're right, they are, but that's just one.
But read what you quoted. Who manufactures the LFA? Toyota. Or Lexus.
What cars do they make? Mass manufactured consumer cars.

So many manufacturers, and only one of them makes such a car.
It's just not their thing to make such cars.

rageaccel2

Known Member
Dec 22, 2010
Shah Alam

that's why many car manufacturer in europe have closed down. because of this so called charismatic cars. sunbeam, triumph, MG, morris, lagonda just to name a few made such cars. not enough to make profit.

yes, i agree. italy's ducati 916s' design lasted more than 10 years without any major change until came the 999. but that was a rare case. now, it is all about profit. now, ducati can't make enough profit and have to catch up with their japanese counterparts. most of their model cycle now every 2-3 years. at least with an engine update.

mass manufacture first.. and then only we can think about special/limited edition models.

just my 1 cent..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

errr..lately theres also some rising handmade exclusive car from japan i think....

mitsuoka is one of them....

and i tommykaira also (even they more foccusing on modifiying other models)

arta cars is supercar maker models i know only competing in GT300 class..

:adore: correct me if i'm wrong..

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005

Stallion=Starion. "..........Marverous" . Hahahahaha.LOL!

Jeff86ks

Known Member
Apr 11, 2006

Why unfair? To you, or any consumer, I mean.
What do such facts matter? All consumers do is buy.

Japan doesn't need so many manufacturers. They each make a large enough range of cars, made in massive consumer numbers. They are replaced almost yearly, you can't keep up with what's new.

10 manufacturers? And what, one million different models?

There's a whole lot more in it for European cars; beginning with exclusivity and brand specialty.
They don't exactly care about mass manufacturing, the days of communism are over. (Japanese manufacturers stick to this agenda hence their sales are also dominating Europe, Asia is out of question)

Sure, they have their range of cars that are made in large numbers,
but they are not replaced every one or two years like in Japan.
They leave them as they are for longer. They are not exactly interested in rivaling the Japanese.
Japanese always wants to get above their European counterparts, when the latter actually does not even compare themselves to the Japanese.

Each of them (both the Europeans and the Japanese) have made iconic and somewhat legendary cars in their history. Today's perception of great European cars have come down from this.

Europeans; they prefer to manufacture as they can make, and not as much as people buy. The Japanese, as you know, does the latter.

Japan doesn't have luxury marques making small ranges of fine, hand-made automobiles in very limited numbers either. They're all about domination.

It comes down to head or heart for the average middle-class consumer.
A fail-free, ultra reliable, highly efficient and cheaper Japanese car, or
a reliable-but-expensive-when-things-go-wrong, car?

But on another note, the Europeans and the Japanese focus on cars of different categories, which is why the manufacturing numbers are totally different (and so are the pricing)

The world's best small cars/small sedans are Japanese, whereas all the cars in the middle/large exec, luxury, SUV, sportscar, supercar categories are all dominated by the Europeans.
Down to the fact a car is just a machine, 'soul' is what us human put it in them.

Even European cars are divided into a few categories if you want to compare, Germans excel in mechanical hence they always bring up some new ideas to improve performance and safety. Italians on the other hand appreciate a car should look good as their first priority.

As most Asians, Japanese practice the good Asian virtues such as thrifty and dedicated to their work and show them on their cars. So reliable, cheap to buy/run are Japanese cars' soul. In fact they participate in motor racings not just to prove that they can do better, but they learn and improve themselves. It is important to upgrade oneself to stay competent. For people who don't they fall behind. It is ironic to watch these videos again after so many years, the once big brands like Jaguar and Land Rover are owned by TaTa, Lotus owned by Proton and so on.

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
classicjapanesecars.blogspot.com

Euro exotics are also mass produce regardless hand build or not, if u have the cash for it they will oblige. Each engine from the nissan gtr is also hand build same goes to the LFA .Did you know yamaha did the r n d for their exhaust system for perfect exhaust note.still.not exclusive enough?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Got a cheap Iswara with 4G13 carby for daily beater & fun , from the day I got it , it has this sputtering problem appears around 4.5K rpms ...

Been replaced the distributor/coil unit & high performance spark plug cable with New ngk spark plug ...

At 1st the problem goes away immediately , the whole performance of the car transform , willingly to rev to 8K rpm at 1st & 2nd gear ...

But after I've driven it hard , when stopped the water temp gauge raise to one bar below red zone & it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience