Strong fuel smell....

Giant Dan

Feb 3, 2006
Do anyone experience strong fuel smell in the car while driving ..? The smell do not come frequent but occasionally. I believe something is wrong.. but i have sent my car for inspection at several mechanic and they do not detect any problem. Any sifu please comment.. Thanks

:hmmmm:

Cheongxp

Known Member
Oct 22, 2010
Selangor
This only happen in full tank condition & when driving uphill ?
I experience this condition, but this is come from fuel tank cover ( actual name i didn't know ) open but didn't know why it open & this is at rear side seat near to fuel tank area.

Giant Dan

Feb 3, 2006
Bro cheong.. you mean the fuel cap.??? the place where we pump the petrol.?? or how do we access to the rear side seat..?? open up the seat..?? please comment. Thanks

Cheongxp

Known Member
Oct 22, 2010
Selangor
Don't think is Fuel Cap, What i heard from my mechanic, need to dismantle the rear seat. Heard is rubber cup.

Giant Dan

Feb 3, 2006
cheong.. mind to share which mechanic that you send for the repair.. appreciate if you could let me have the contact and place. I had tried several mechanic also cant solve th fuel smell problem..

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
It could be the fuel tank under rear seat bocor, or the cover that cover the float on top of the fuel tank problem.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
I also has a fuel smell problem on my A32 3.0L. I only noticed it after I fill the car up full. After some time when the level drops the smell no longer there. I also notice fuel dripped on the floor after I parked the car when the tank is full, no problem when the fuel level dropped.

So I check out all the hoses and they were ok. So I removed the rear seat opened up the metal cover covering the fuel hoses and pump + fuel sensor wiring. Had the car with full tank of gas and guess what I found that there was small hair line crack on the top of the fuel gauge sensor. This is the one where the fuel pump and gauge wiring couples to and the fuel supply and fuel return hoses enter the tank. The whole assembly is made of plastic and there was a very small crack. Fuel was coming out of the crack and filled up the whole top of the assembly. Had the car running and could see bubbles coming out from the crack. So when the tank was full to the brim the fuel was coming out from there and the internal pressure also pushes the fuel out. So when the fuel level drops. No more problem as the leak is from the top. So I dried it up and super glued the crack and so far so good. No more smell and no more leak.

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
Hairline crack ah? Just as I thought the rubber seal could be the culprit also.

I doubt Super glue could last. You can use epoxy next time it holds better.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
My rubber seal was ok, the crack was near the socket for the fuel pump. I decided to use superglue first as its thinner and is able to flow into the crack properly. Will epoxy on top of the superglue if needs be next time. I also did a few layers of superglue so should be ok. Its got no load or anything on the crack so superglue should be more than enough.

dee889

Sep 10, 2008
KL
I also has a fuel smell problem on my A32 3.0L. I only noticed it after I fill the car up full. After some time when the level drops the smell no longer there. I also notice fuel dripped on the floor after I parked the car when the tank is full, no problem when the fuel level dropped.

So I check out all the hoses and they were ok. So I removed the rear seat opened up the metal cover covering the fuel hoses and pump + fuel sensor wiring. Had the car with full tank of gas and guess what I found that there was small hair line crack on the top of the fuel gauge sensor. This is the one where the fuel pump and gauge wiring couples to and the fuel supply and fuel return hoses enter the tank. The whole assembly is made of plastic and there was a very small crack. Fuel was coming out of the crack and filled up the whole top of the assembly. Had the car running and could see bubbles coming out from the crack. So when the tank was full to the brim the fuel was coming out from there and the internal pressure also pushes the fuel out. So when the fuel level drops. No more problem as the leak is from the top. So I dried it up and super glued the crack and so far so good. No more smell and no more leak.
Find mine have similar problem. Hv to find time to do the same...huhu

dee889

Sep 10, 2008
KL
car got accident history?
I just owned the car recently and the symptom it just similar as what bro 12savefuel mentioned. Visual inspection does not indicate the car had any major accident. Anyway as mentioned, will spare some time to check underneath the rear seat as suggested.

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
dee889 said:
I just owned the car recently and the symptom it just similar as what bro 12savefuel mentioned. Visual inspection does not indicate the car had any major accident. Anyway as mentioned, will spare some time to check underneath the rear seat as suggested.
Just use epoxy to cover back the cracks can ad.

option1978

Known Member
May 25, 2009
Any possibility that fuel hose joints leaking? Had the experience but with my proton twice, once the supply hose & another time the return hose.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

in the new edition
this some of the fun car we coated with more fun and pleasure

bringing you the fiesta

we ciated this 2 months ago

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience