street performance ideal spring rate for kelisa, kenari

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
can anyone share their spring rate and their opinion on the stiffness and stability street performance wise?

im using hwl adjustable. im not sure whats the spring rate but i heard original hwl is 8kg/mm front,rear probly 6kg/mm. i feel that this is setup for track use since the road is smooth, but i dont do track, only fast road driving.

my problem with current setup:
-its too stiff my foot always went off the pedal after crossing bumps
- tends to skid when cornering on uneven road, too stiff it loses gripness
- tends to understeer
- even on fast straight road driving, i feel like ice skating, the tyre doesnt feel like its planted to the ground well enough

my setup:
-yokohama gp tyre
-rear arb, front upper and lower arm bar

its best if i know the stock spring rate ratio so can use high spring rate but same ratio

anyone went through trial and error with their spring rate setup? can share result and experience? i plan to swap to 4-5kg/mm front and 3 kg/mm for the rear.

i read a corolla user got best handling and comfort on 4kg/mm front and 2.88 kg/mm rear equipped with bars. corolla is heavier than kelisa which makes original hwl spring rate for kelisa/kenari is way too high for street driving

pls help anybody :D

Last edited:

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
wat i know is dat hwl only produce 4kg spring and above.

my viva is using 4kg front and rear.
still bumpy...

however i tink its ideal to service ur abs and request yr set up and get the advise from the rebuilder wat is the best spring rate for ur application.

i've experienced ride from a fren's myvi with 10kg spring with hwl adjustable...
and i find my bro's toyota ol skool car is more planted to the ground compare to dat myvi.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Once ridden a kelisa equipped with titan racing custom abs + springs... its setup for 6kg up front and 3kg in the rear... although the ride is firm, it never bumps and crashes... soak off bumps rather well... just that the owner says that titan racing never did reveal to him the absorber rebound rates though...

...but i do know that kelisa goes back a couple of time until the owner are satisfied...

...currently the kelisa already sold off.....

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
wat i know is dat hwl only produce 4kg spring and above.

my viva is using 4kg front and rear.
still bumpy...

however i tink its ideal to service ur abs and request yr set up and get the advise from the rebuilder wat is the best spring rate for ur application.

i've experienced ride from a fren's myvi with 10kg spring with hwl adjustable...
and i find my bro's toyota ol skool car is more planted to the ground compare to dat myvi.
hv u got any bars installed? how is ur handling experience? any understeer or oversteer? ever got feeling tyre lose contact on the road?

bumpiness i can stand, i dont want the car to fly off the ground when going thru uneven road :D

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
got the normal strut and arb from UR already on my viva...
yes...the bumpiness i meants is dat during high speed can feel the car wanna fly lol...hahaha!
maybe its due to the weight of my viva. :bawling:

however cornering improves alot even compare from GAB sport spring pair with oem abs that i used last time...

btw...im using the myvi hwl adjustable to my viva...front n rear can adjust one...

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
the myvi adj is plug n play into viva...
if need mod...i'd take the normal adjustable for viva which does not haf the hi lo function for the rear...

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
so i suppose i can go to hwl factory and ask them to replace my kelisa rear shocks with myvi ones right?

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We love automotive designers. They truly allow their thoughts and ideas to run wild and are free of all marketing and sales leashes that dictate everything from a how a vehicle should look like, to which market segment it caters for, and to some extent the power figures and such. Independent designers don't have that crap around their necks, just take a look at this old-school Audi...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience