Steering vibrate at 140km/h

Friends,

Today I have this experience:

Damn cina beng/mat rempit what ever because I couldn't see his face. In a blue vios full of stickers like a sponsored race car. Fluorescent green huge wheels. Huge positive cambered rear wheels. He cucuk me from behind and then go to my side. Then overtake me. So I was thinking wtf man? Chase him lo.... Until the speed of 140km/h I backed off. I feel stering vibrate. What cause this? I remember last time my friend also had this problem. I am a noob on steering and suspension stuff.

Could it be caused by this thing called rack end. Coz I know my rack end not good already. When go on bumps got knocking sound. But the mech told me no need change. IT doesn;t affect or danger the car. Only that it will sound on bumpy roads. And I also lazy changed because I chaged mine less than half year, the sound come out again. Couldn't source for OEM. The one I changed costs RM19 only. The labour to fix it more expensive.

if u wanna know your rack end faulty anot, jack up the car & goyang the wheels, if there is freeplay means rack end gone edi....change your tie rod ends as well....then go for allignment.

kaderAE101

Mar 6, 2010
K.L / Ampang
Consider these points :
1. How old is your tyre? old tires hardens up & leads to vibration.
2. You can check the disc rotors for condition..
3. Also ensure your brake pads are not worn out more than 50%.

markblurberry

Jun 24, 2010
I guess most likely ur balancing which 9/10 causes steering vibration. If not better pray its not these problems:

1) Front car bushing kong liao
2) Rim is crooked
3) Engine mounting kong
4) Steering rack or tie rod problem

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
best bet go for balancing first!

used to have this problems, but mine more severe.. after 100kmph also can feel vibration already..

usually from balancing, u can see whether your rim got bengkok or not.. (the rims not turning smooth on the wheel balancing machine)

if rim bengkok, then most prob also contributes to steering vibrate. but usually the rim must be pretty much badly bengkok only can cause the steering to vibrate seriously. minor minor bengkok, will not feel that much on the steering wheel.

dr_snape_79

Sep 10, 2006
Perak
Hi all sifus,
Sorry for hijack this thread, wanna ask is really old tyre that rubber will harden shows with vibrating? Because i'm still using tyre made 2005 with thread still 80%-90%. Overall performance still good even when taking corners.

bera

Oct 27, 2007
Hi all sifus,
Sorry for hijack this thread, wanna ask is really old tyre that rubber will harden shows with vibrating? Because i'm still using tyre made 2005 with thread still 80%-90%. Overall performance still good even when taking corners.
yup..old rubber will harden...vibrate or not depends on so many factor...

my first hand experience last time tire blow after "masuk lubang"... :bawling: at that time still got 60 - 50% thread...and luckily just running around 90 km/h...so my advice best not to use expired tire...safety first...

kaderAE101

Mar 6, 2010
K.L / Ampang
Hi all sifus,
Wow .. u're using a six year old tyre.. if u don't go high speed still safe.. but sooner or later the harden rubber cracks, then you will find yr tyre punctured more often ..

dr_snape_79

Sep 10, 2006
Perak
Wow .. u're using a six year old tyre.. if u don't go high speed still safe.. but sooner or later the harden rubber cracks, then you will find yr tyre punctured more often ..
ya, it's due to seldom drive my car. I think will change my tyre soon.

D7zul

Feb 24, 2011
my Levin use to vibrate at high speed..

solve it by changing tie rod end..

lots of things can make the steering vibrate..

"Same symptoms doesn't mean it's the same disease"..

Hi , jz wanna ask how much air (kPa) usually bump for 205/50/16 tyres? anyone?