Spring swap

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys, wanna cover all my bases first before I mod cuz I don't wanna get "tiok" by the shop.

So I bought a lowered spring and I wanna swap it with the stock springs. Question is, do I need to perform tyre balancing and wheel alignment for this mod? Also what's the market price for doing a spring swap?

Thank you!

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
what car? diy lar.. normally would cost rm 50 to 80 depending on car type.allignment can be made after a week after the installation. no need to rush.

D.K.Prince

500 RPM
*haha* it's not easy to DIY, you need some tools to do it. yes any mechanics can do it. i thought when you brought lowered spring, the shop suppose to give you FOC installation.

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Haha that's good to hear. I bought the R3 lowered springs from proton R3 at a discount so no free installation lol.

They normally charge between 50 - 80? Proton wanted to charge me 105..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually it depends on the skill of the person doing it for you. If newbie, your toe and camber might get all messed up. Alignment will definitely go out of whack. Balancing is not necessary unless you did on-wheel balancing. Just mark the direction of the wheel and which lugnut it's tied to and all that, and when reinstalling make sure it's back exactly to the same point. Otherwise you might need to rebalance again for on-wheel jobs.

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks! Normally how long will it take them to change one whole set? And how would I know if my toe and camber are messed up?

Tyre shops would generally be more skilled in changing the springs vs a normal mechanic right?

D.K.Prince

500 RPM
Thanks! Normally how long will it take them to change one whole set? And how would I know if my toe and camber are messed up?

Tyre shops would generally be more skilled in changing the springs vs a normal mechanic right?
Mine installed by normal mechanic. Less than 20min, actually just a easy job *haha*. and doesn't effect my toe/camber till now.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Depends on the car. Most japanese cars can settle in 30 minutes. Also depends on the skill of the guy changing it for you. Tyre shop is better because if anything screws up they can straight away do the alignment again. Tyre shop is bad also because they can do for you. Some are unscrupolous and say you must do alignment la etc etc because they want to make money from you, not RM30 workmanship change springs.

If toe is messed up you cannot drive your car straight without twitching the steering. Very very hard to drive.

Camber messed up your tyre wear will be bad.

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Crap. I surveyed 4 tyre shops around kota damansara and the cheapest labour price for a spring swap is 100, exclusive of wheel alignment and camber. Is there anywhere cheaper in PJ? Is camber adjustment necessary?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Like what I said man, tyre shop will do whatever it takes to earn a couple of bucks from you.

RM100 is ok la. But personally I'd just try to DIY it and do alignment separately.

xxixx

Known Member
Aug 3, 2006
Crap. I surveyed 4 tyre shops around kota damansara and the cheapest labour price for a spring swap is 100, exclusive of wheel alignment and camber. Is there anywhere cheaper in PJ? Is camber adjustment necessary?
If that's the case, I think you might as well just bring it back to the R3 center and get them to install? I think they cover in allignment as well.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

All the sifus in here.....you all really know what yur talking about so i was hoping you all could just giveme some advice...by the way im new in here ...

I drive a Wira SE auto (1.5)....i have chnaged to K&N filter and also remove my cat conv...so far the results were marginal...i was wondering whether i should remove my mid box as well and replace with a bullet....im actually looking for better performance and also a louder (basier) sound...will removing the mid box help? i was told auto...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience