Sleeper TE71 Corolla packing a 7.4-liter V8

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The term ‘little car, big engine’ has never rung truer with this ultimate sleeper 1980 Toyota Corolla TE71 that has ditched its puny single cam four-banger for some pure American muscle that could rip the chassis apart.

Sitting in the engine bay is a 7.4-liter big block Chevy V8 lump that sends power to the rear wheels through a General Motors Turbo-Hydramatic 400 transmission. With enough torque to realign Earth’s rotational axis, the standard chassis doesn’t stand a chance against the V8’s raw power, hence the additional bracing in the engine bay. You’ll notice it in the shot of the engine bay, one bar across the bay and bolted in place just in front of the strut towers and another two running from above the radiator towards the towers as well.

According to the seller on eBay, the car only hits 105km/h with 13-inch tyres at 4,000rpm but it gets there in a mere four seconds. From the looks of it, a couple of high RPM launches should rip the body in half but if you’re looking for the ultimate sleeper, this could very well be it.

Here's to hoping that somebody in Malaysia drops in a 1UZ-FE into a TE71 body.

Source: CarScoop

Attachments

220mph

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
kl
well, it's only fast in the straight line.. :hmmmm:

its not even fast in the straight due to the 13inch.this is good for nothing.dont get me wrong i love sleeper to death. in fact i own a 240Whp N/A 2.0cc car running with stock 17' rim not even with body kit.but to me this is pure stupidity. there's a fine difference between sleeper and stupidity. i admire the owner on his passion tho !!

Last edited:

spec-c

1,500 RPM
May 21, 2008
TTDi
Im really eager to see what will happen to the chassis since i have only heard stories about chassis not being able to handle the torque and stuff... Oh well maybe im still new in this scene

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

Anyone knows where i could i find a reliable and good workshop in penang for my Golf Gti MKV.
Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience