Skyline GTR AND GTT DIFFERENCE ??

aravind

Deleted User
Jul 31, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
What is the difference between a GTR and GTT....thanks GTI88 really helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

auxoura

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
ooo....performance wise...what about the interior? how much difference is the actual feel from a GTR and the GTT.......what are the things that can be done to the GTT to overcome such differences....

cheers..

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
This review compares the R34 GT-T to the R34 GT-R (both driven back to back along the same stretch of road). I have now owned an R34 GT-T for one year now. Just recently I drove its bigger brother the GT-R in a bid to decide whether to upgrade to the GT-R or not...

Firstly let us just refresh ourselves here about the two cars.

GT-R and GT-T, a basic summary?

The GT-T is rear wheel drive 2.5 litre single turbo (RB25DET) and the GT-R is a four wheel drive 2.6 litre twin turbo (RB26DETT). Both outputs are claimed to be 280 bhp (this is actually inaccurate, the GT-R is 320 bhp in real life!). The GT-T has NEO variable valve lift timing and both cars come equipped with excellent HICAS 4-wheel steering and the same leather trimmed steering wheel. The GT-T runs on 225/17's section tyres, the GT-R runs on 245/18's. The GT-T has big sized Nissan manufactured calipers with excellent stopping power. The GT-R has racing Brembo calipers and huge stopping power. The GT-R has a nice computer multi-function display showing torque, power, oil temperature, boost pressure, etc. etc. The GT-T has simply 3 analogue dials show oil temperature, boost pressure and battery voltage. The GT-R having a 6-speed box and the GT-T a five speed unit. The GT-R has wider bodied wings and a big front mounted intercooler with aggressive front spoiler. The GT-T makes do with a much more toned down front bumper with a smaller sized intercooler.

Basically, both cars come from the same ?gene pool' but both are different to drive. I should know since I drove both cars back to back on the same day one after the other.

First let us outline the examples I drove. The GT-T was a slightly modified example with an anti-cat straight through exhaust, running 1-bar boost pressure (raised from 0.6 standard), HKS plugs and HKS filter to give around 300 bhp plus a factory GT-R rear wing replacing the GT-T's standard one and running on 18" wheels and less than 10k miles (as new condition really).

The GT-R was completely standard apart from running on wider rimmed alloys (265 tyres).

First Impressions

On the open road the GT-T feels very well accomplished, lots of smooth power delivery and then a very nice zone (just above 3,000 revs when the turbo came on strong to give a very nice urgent pull to the engine). The car gives a very respectable power delivery and easily feels like its good for 300 bhp. Torque builds up well and gives a push into the back of the seat feeling that every respectable high performance sports coupe should deliver.

Climbing out of the GT-T into the GT-R and the differences are already starting to become more apparent. The seats in the GT-T really are lacking in support for spirited driving since the level of damping is surprisingly soft for the level of power available. The GT-R ones really are excellent and give excellent body support. It is more noticeable around a fast corner and on the GT-T this inspires less confidence to go into a corner hard or under trail braking than when driving the GT-R. The GT-T really is crying out for a decent set of lowering springs to fix this problem and a swap out for a good set of Recaro seats.

The very first gear change you make brings another big surprise. The GT-T has a 5-speed box and the GT-R has a six but that's not the whole story. There is a metal gate on the GT-T that gives a nice clickety click action which is pleasant enough but in the GT-R the box is very stubby and tight with absolutely no feeling of slack that you get on the GT-T. Basically the GT-T gear shifter feels (dare I say it?) a little bit sloppy in direct comparison. Its not that there is a horrible gear change on the GT-T (I actually really like it), but in comparison to the GT-R it just doesn't feel as driver focused. The GT-R has a much more sporty feel to the selection of gears, a sort of ?chunky' feel if you like. Reminds me of the NSX gear change?

Engine power wise the example I was driving of the GT-T was slightly uprated to around 300 bhp but even still the difference between the GT-R and GT-T was noticeable and this I think was purely down to engine torque, not bhp! The sheer feeling of torque on the twin turbo'd motor is staggering. On the GT-R at almost any point in the rev range floor the throttle and the car just responds, compared to the example I drove the same feeling was there on the GT-T but just not to the same extent of urgency (surprisingly not as much in it really than you would expect). The throttle response on the GT-T was admittedly less linear. Hit the throttle and straight away you notice very crisp clean acceleration and then start to feel the torque quickly building up to massive grin inducing levels. In the GT-T the rear killer blow of the acceleration curve felt slightly higher up the rev range (perhaps because of better traction of the 4wd?). With the turbo spooling about 0.5 bar the GT-T feels just as amazing but in the GT-R that feeling was there right through the rev range. Lets get one thing clear here though the GT-T (at least at this level of tune) was not at all far behind on the engine stakes, at least compared to a ?standard' GT-R anyway. It really has a truly excellent power unit and it really feels brilliant to drive.

Get the cars moving and the steering feels very accurate and pin-sharp (on both cars actually) but there is more feedback (and a LOT more bouncing up and down) in the GT-R. From the driving seat (apart from the seat itself) it is a very similar feeling, the steering is rather impressive in both cars and turn in characteristics are immensely impressive. Against the GT-T the GT-R doesn't have much here except that of course on the fatter rimmed tyres and 2 more driven wheels there is obviously a lot more scope for faster changes in the GT-R. What really does come across here though is just how well sorted the steering feel is on both cars, absolutely brilliant and definitely one of the big plus points. This really does give a big confidence boost compared to other cars.

Overall I was convinced enough to decide I will swap from the GT-T to the GT-R? but despite what I've written here really there is not as much in it as you'd think. The added weight advantage of the GT-T only helps its case (its about 200 kilo's lighter than the GT-R) and I'm sure a more tuned up GT-T (especially lowering springs and better seats) would make the whole car feel so much more driver focused. Overall if you can afford the GT-R go for it, but overall don't feel to short changed about buying an R34 GT-T because overall it's a very capable car (I'd say its easily better than a BMW M3). Price differential is that a mint GT-T 2-3 yrs old with low mileage will fetch about 20-22K (GBP) and a GT-R 32-34K (GBP)? It would certainly be interesting to drive a GT-T with 10k of modifications to compare the difference?

thnx to: www.carsurvey.org

Driftmeister

500 RPM
Jun 17, 2005
KL
Well written guide Sakuraguy. The GTT sure goes like a rocket with that extra $$$.

Btw what hv u done to your car to-date? Appreciate if you could share it with us. Cheeers!

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
Driftmeister, as said DarkChild, please refer below the article as i provided the article taken from site :)

Anyway .. im driving 1300GLM Proton Wira .. can buy for me one GT-T? .. ekekekek

Driftmeister

500 RPM
Jun 17, 2005
KL
Sakuraguy,

With all the research u hv been doing, i reckon it's time for you to get a Skyline. It all start with a dream then action is required to accomplish it. Hope to see you get this baby someday soon. btw..it took me 10 years b4 getting mine. hehehhehe...Priceless!

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
I personally have driven both R33 GTS-T and GTR and based on my experience, I would prefer the RWD GTS-T. They are more driveable and fun to drive, and the stock turbo is exciting to hear.

The GT-R however, is fast, but when overtaking, they may be a bit of a slacker, but not until the power really kicks in. The only way to drive a GT-R fast is a full-boost launch off the line, that will be one of the bloodiest launch you might feel your skin peelling off (well that's a bit of a joke :D), but yeah, the GT-R can really launch, other than that, if you want to know which one is more fun to drive, I would say the non-GTR.

R34 could be a different story altogether though.

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
Driftmeister said:
Sakuraguy,

With all the research u hv been doing, i reckon it's time for you to get a Skyline. It all start with a dream then action is required to accomplish it. Hope to see you get this baby someday soon. btw..it took me 10 years b4 getting mine. hehehhehe...Priceless!

Thnx for the support bro .. appreciate that .. the name SKYLINE is embossed in my heart. I will one day! .. either GT-R or GT-T

supergripen

Mar 31, 2006
hi guys..i'm kinda green on Skylines although i've been an avid fan of the GT-R for many many years.i almost bought an ER34 4door version although i think it wasn't even a GT-T.u see,i need a 4door car being a family man and all.
the plan was to get a 4door and convert the engine and gearbox combo to one from the GT-R.but after asking around,i was told that this was not possible due to the floorpans and basic body structure being different.i was crushed..

anyways,great to read all about ur experiences with the iconic Skyline..i'm jealous.

but u'll have to admit..a 4door ER34 with a GT-R drivetrain would be superb!!!! how i wish..

i now drive a ver8 Subaru Impreza STi.its been tuned to 350bhp with simple bolt-ons and an ECU remap.smashing car..but once in a while,i still dream of a certain 4door GT-R.

cheers

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
Supergripen, what a nice ride u have there. It`s not impossible having a 4D skyline with GTR heart. Most of 4D skyline here is FR base and I also had a fren R33 4D with RB26DETT here. Fully convert to 4wd u will need a chassis from R34 25GT-X Four or R33 GTS-4. The ATTESSA n HICAS system in this car also same with GTR does.
Nissan also comes with limited unit call Autech Version which is 4 door, wide body, 4WD and NA RB26DE heart!I haven`t found any yet in Malaysia.:regular_smile:

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Well there is the 4 Door Autech Version R33 GTR. It's rare but it's out there.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

One of the greatest aspects of motorsports is perhaps also one of the angles that the spectators rarely view as they see the racecars shred slicks on the tarmac, and that is the plethora of emotions and effort invested by the team in getting the car to the starting grid in the first place.

Team JPM Dragon-i can attest to that though, as the team very nearly didn’t make it to the starting grid but managed to get...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience