Skunk2 cam using skunk valvespring or supertech?

super fei lo

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2007
retainers worn quickly....???
im not sure about it....
all of my mechs customer all using after market VS n retainers..
so far so gd....

ur cam's lift is not really high...
try type r VS instead....
budget budget budget....
i think supertech VS is more than u need....
and u dont really need it with ur currect setup....

its like a T88 turbine in a 4 cylinder little banger....
waste da shit

just my opinion...
my style of moddin is budget budget budget is the same time dont compromise durability....

Bump: currently im using BC cams, spec is same like Jun 3....
omni power VS and retainer....
B18b....
the retainer seems fine to me.....

even my fren crower 305,i think lift ard 12.8....
crower VS and retainer...
2 years of usage...
no prob for the retainers....

A/M retainers wont last...im not sure about it mate....

Last edited:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Ti retainers more durable than stock retainers? That is a wrong impression there. The trick to it is to match your spring pressure with your cam requirements. Don't go overboard with it if your cams don't require those spring pressure.

Entirely up to you.

alex27

Known Member
Sep 30, 2006
I have read in usa forums aftermarket titanium retainer will wear down over a certain mileage. Correct me if i'm wrong. Why did b.crower produce steel retainer? Thx for clarifying fei lo. Well understood hehe

Bump: I have read in usa forums aftermarket titanium retainer will wear down over a certain mileage. Correct me if i'm wrong. Why did b.crower produce steel retainer? Thx for clarifying fei lo. Well understood hehe

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
why don't you use aftermarket steel retainers then. Just for a peace of mind.

If you read through the web, people use hard core springs being afraid of p2v hitting due to valve float. So choosing hard springs is theoretically the right move, but thinking about the spring pressure with the cam lift sometimes is ignored which is what you are doing at the moment.

SFL's point is clear enough to answer your question and i have to agree with him. S2S1 is not far off from the CTR's. I wouldn't use anything any aftermarket valve springs with stock retainers apart from the Type R the most. Even if you read in most threads on the internet, some are using the Ti retainers longer than me and even after taking out the valve train for inspection, its still ok. But they rev decently, not 9000rpm shifts or 10000rpm shifts every time.

alex27

Known Member
Sep 30, 2006
Ok i get it. Stage 1 cam using type r v.spring. One last question hehe stage 1 is intake 11.9mm exhaust 11.0mm compared to type r intake 11.5mm exhaust 10.8mm. These are d new specs. D old specs are similar to type r. So with the new specs i can still use type r v spring?

super fei lo

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2007
could u pls tell us what is ur engine setup?
compression.....
it stock 16a, 18c, 18cR.....
save your money...

alex27

Known Member
Sep 30, 2006
stock b16a. just wanting to put stage 1 cams for that mid gain. So the 11.9mm and 11.0mm, can the type r v spring handle? i know save my money cos i wont gain much hp hehe but just wana improve gain a bit

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
I'll be the bad guy to say that its ok to run them on type R valve spring. The exhaust lift seems to be insufficient to handle but not much to really alarmed about. With stage 1 cams, you won't be revving 8500rpm i supposed, so it'll be ok i guess.

Good luck.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone know how to DIY a spring stiffener? It is used in between the spring to make it more stiff... to improve braking and handling. I know splitfire is selling but too ex.... around S$80/pair.

For me, I wan to use it so that when going over a hump, my lowered ride wont hit the undercarriage so easily....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience