Simplified guide to Engine Oils

nommiey

From Facebook
Apr 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
Guys, My car is powered with 4AGE BT 20V. Which type of oil is best suited for my engine? I m gonna go n change the oil for this car. this is my 1st time changing oil for this car. Hope can get some advice

semangka

Aug 14, 2010
Miri & Bintulu
i wouldn't mind about the W (winter) rating, but i take note on the latter figure. after few oil changes, i find the most suitable for my ride is the 10w40 rating, since my engine is turbocharged, interval change at 5000km. if NA also should be ok, but I'd go for 5w30 for improved fuel consumption and better engine response.

zuruzuruz

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
Ampang
Before I reply this : I by no means am dissing the product. I am only stating facts

If you do a search in the API website, you'll see that Torco is not certified by API. So I would doubt the authenticity of its claims of group 4/5 base oils and its tech fact sheet. Not many companies provide the tech sheet on how its oil performs.

But having said that there a lot of high performance (and normal) cars out there running on Torco without complaints so that's a good thing. But again - if it's not certified, it's the manufacturers claims against anyones. Lucas oil was at one time not API certified, but they are now so that's a good indicator of how professional the company is.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

I think it was a one off edition. No more in production now
i guess u r right, even petronas syntiums r API certified. this is my first time using torco since been hearing good testimonials from frens regardless car mod junkies or not. so far for me, no problem, though the difference is yet to be noticed since i blum rempit lg.. hehe.. but yeah.. maybe ill switch bk to syntium 3000 or 5000 if there is not much difference..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Guys, My car is powered with 4AGE BT 20V. Which type of oil is best suited for my engine? I m gonna go n change the oil for this car. this is my 1st time changing oil for this car. Hope can get some advice
A quick check on Google and in most forums recommend 10W40 or 15W40 max. But personally I'd stick to 10W40 semi or fully syn. You could even try 5W40 it won't do your engine any damage.

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
Is thr any ROYAL PURPLE engine oil disributor in penang?..

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
good info izso...
at least this would be a guideline for noobie like me.

and remind me that the fact is, there is none one grade engine oil for all cars...or the statement of "best engine oil".... :listen:

which i find it BS and your article does make sense... :proud:

Bar7MonsteR

Known Member
Mar 26, 2005
Putrajaya & UK
hello kitty...nice....

once bump with ultraman engine oil in spare parts shop somewhere in wangsa melawati

sadly i didnt recognize which ultraman is he/she:biggrin:

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
ultra-man, of cos is a he la..hehe

SE.G

Known Member
Nov 24, 2006
Sarawak
thank you very much for the info but can you enlighten me about changing oil which has passed its date? for example for semi synthetic after 5k km we know automatically its time to change the oil but what if its just a weekend car for example just reach 2k++km but the date has passed (usually 3-4 month) can we continue using the oil or change it? wht bout the filter continue to use it or replace?? thanks in advance:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
thank you very much for the info but can you enlighten me about changing oil which has passed its date? for example for semi synthetic after 5k km we know automatically its time to change the oil but what if its just a weekend car for example just reach 2k++km but the date has passed (usually 3-4 month) can we continue using the oil or change it? wht bout the filter continue to use it or replace?? thanks in advance:driver:
That's actually a good question. I don't have any scientific proof but I believe oil left alone eventually will be exposed to moisture and humidity fluctuations (rain, extreme heat) etc. Anything exposed to moisture can't be a good thing. So what I normally practise is I don't leave mineral oil longer than 4~5 months, semi's no more than 8 months and fully syns no more than a year. I'd change it even if it hasn't reached the mileage OCI. It might be overkill but better safe than sorry.

The oil filter is there to filter debris, sludge and whatever the oil managed to remove or leave behind. If the car rarely moves and hasn't reached the OCI, I wouldn't worry about it until you're ready to change the oil.

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
i tink shud replace engine oil before it passed the recommended date eventhou mileage is still very low.
this is because engine oil lose its capability over time and usage.
dats why OCI is determine either by date or mileage.

i ALWAYS change the oil filter whenever change the engine oil.

hope this helps... :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi, would like to know, what is the advatage/benefit to install a fuel regulator for the car (more fc safe or ......). and how often do we need to service/adjust this fuel regulator. pls advide.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience