Should We Have Arms or Weapons In The Car To Protect Ourselves?

Should We Keep Weapons In The Car?

• Yes, to protect myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, we might hurt someone else or ourselves.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kabox87

Dec 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Since crime rates are always in the rise I have a question to ask fans of ZTH here. Are weapons and arms necessary to be kept in the car to protect ourselves?
IMO I won't and don't keep any of these items including steering lock to protect myself as I believe I'm protected if I don't leave my vehicle if I encounter with a road bully of theft. In such cases where theft (i.e: breaking your window to get your handbags or monies left on the passenger seat) is concerned we cannot do much since it's unforeseen in most cases.
When one is faced with a road bully it's best to drive off to the nearest Police station to make a report even it meant denting your vehicle to get out of harms way. If we keep weapons or arms in the car there is a tendency to use it. Result would be serious injury or death:nurse: to either party. In both cases it's a lose lose situation whereby you sustain serious injury or death and the assailant may get away. If you do bring them down you might be detained by the police for questioning of may be worst be charged with assault or murder.
So give your views so that more will hopefully live to see another day:driver:
haha
i used to bring a big ' spanar hidup ' place under driver seat
that the great place to keep weapons or anything
we can use the things fastly
if in the bonet take times to take it
safety is important:stupid:

mrtwo

Known Member
Sep 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
haha interesting

for me i put 1 foot -expanding baton in the car-small, neat and quite handy when needed.. had experience on road bullies and i dont think, at that time, even police can save u, its u and either u drive off as hard as possible if u can or like my case, being cornered and u cant go anywhere.

imagine the assailant cornered u and he got dangerous weapons and u have none

cheers peeps

Last edited:

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
hahaha...bring ur big pet in car lo,can call them as weapon too if ur dog enough big and "garang" hehehe..i have to bring my dog to jalan jalan too on weekend round round lo

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
vey useful with walkie talkie...i know but normally in kl and klang valley only for gangster or tow man maybe they really doin big biz lo...very "lan ci" that boss wear lot of gold chain on his body driving big bmw m6 with 6 walkie talkie get out from his car for breakfirst at hot popular kopitiam at klang choong kok...nearby klang ktm station...:proud: if wan use it,really need collect ppl first..if not,with who we talk?hehehe..
Yup, can start with ZTH fans first ma. If not i call you, you call me susah la. I'm in Penang and you are in KL. If not you can make friends with the gang leader driving the M6 and can walkie talkie his konco when come across trouble. Hehe.

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Just a question.

How do you plan to employ these accessories in response to a situation ?

Since the accessories are stored inside your car, presumably you intend to armed yourself, and then exit the vehicle to meet a threat.

You can probably plead self-defence, but even a lame prosecutor will point out that you could have simply driven off. Why didn't you ? Instead, you escalated the situation by staying, arming yourself and exiting your vehicle and then engaging your opponent. In short, the other side will say you did not do enough to diffuse a diffusable situation.

5115 gave a good example of a 'diffusable situation' with that infamous pink shirted uncle with the baseball bat. He could solved the traffic incident in an amicable discussion but chosed instead to negotiate while brandishing a baseball bat. F**king stupid, if you ask me.

Coming to the defence of another (for example, a loved one) :- This could probably be successfully argued but it will also depend on the gravity of the situation giving rise to the altercation. If it was just some guy having a mere argument with your relative and you whipped out your crowbar and beat the other fellow senseless, you are going to be charged and thrown in the slammer, guaranteed. The level of your response will be taken into account to determine if it was a justifiable level of force.

Use some common sense during arguments and don't be stupid about it.

Over-estimating your physical and mental abilities :- Most people do not have an honest, no-BS self-assessment of their limitations and tend to think the world of their ability to handle any given situation. Most of us here are not trained and preconditioned in martial arts and the employment of weapons. And even if you are, other factors often stacked the odds against you. Being surprised, for one, being outnumbered, for another.

Again, the pink shirted uncle is a prime example. Go in like a Lion, come out like a Lamb. How embarassing.

Your car, your ability to stay within it, your ability to maintain its mobility and your self-awareness is still your best weapon. If you want to be convinced, just look at that one female who recently took out two snatch thieves with her car.

If you want to keep accessories in the car, at least try to have stuff which will not look out of place in a vehicle. Stuff like steering locks, or rotans (people use it for hiking and morning walks. It can also double as a deterrent against aggresive animals/pets). Anything else, and you run the risk of complications with the law.

If you get yourself involved in any violent altercations, law enforcement personnel will naturally be curious why you choose to carry controversial items such as parangs/baseball bats in your vehicle.

The impression is that you are pre-meditated towards a course of action that involves the use of this items. Whether you intend it or not, you run the risk of being profiled as someone who is out looking for a fight rather than avoiding it.

On a whim, you can of course give them a BS story that you use a parang to trim the lalang in your property, but under heavy police interview, most BS story will fall apart. Cops are trained at picking out facts from BS. You better have a really original story to tell because the cops have heard it all. "Do you regularly trim lalang ? When ? Can you show me the property where you did this ? Does the property belong to you ? What's the baseball bat for ? Oh, really, how often you play baseball ? With whom ? When ? "

Making up lies and tall tales as you go along is very bad idea. Most people get flustered under the anxiety of a police interview. A skilled police interviewer will punch holes in your little tale and trip you up. You may well have been innocent or made a justifiable self-defence, but if you start off lying and get caught doing it, that's a black taint on your integrity. The cop will treat you as a liar. What should really have been routine and non-suspicious, will now end up being flagged for further scrutiny.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Totally agree. We need weapon for self defence, not for killing. xD
So i get myself a STUN Gun.
You big talk only.

Stun guns and Tasers are illegal without a carry permit.

In order to be issued one, you have to pass a police interview and scrutineering process. As far as Malaysia is concerned, Tasers are not issued to general civilians. And you cannot buy a Taser over the counter.

Those electrocutor/immobilizer devices you sometimes find being sold under counter are illegal. They are classified as deadly weapons. If you get caught with one of these things in your person, you will be charged for the illegal possession of weapons. If you are involved in a violent incident with one of these things, and even if you are defending yourself, you are still f**ked with the law.

You have been warned.

Last edited:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
What FVel says is true although there is some more that can be added so we're all informed. The law says that you have every right to defend your self and personal property. However, it only allows the use of reasonable force to do so. If someone attacks you with a weapon and you fight back barehanded, then you're safe. If someone comes at you with a parang and you happened to have a steering lock under your seat, if in the event the other guy suffered injuries then it can be argued you used reasonable force. Parang is a weapon while steering lock isn't.

There is a precedent for a case of self defense whereby the victim had a weapon far superior than the attacker.

I'm referring to an incident in Bangsar involving a very senior lawyer who had the license to carry a concealed firearm and was confronted in act of road rage by a motorist who had a wood/bat of some kind. Being in his late 70s or early 80s (can't remember was like at least 5 years ago minimum probably 7 years ago) whilst the assailant was younger, he felt threatened and fired a warning shot. However, the other guy still came towards him so he shot the guy dead on the spot. Judge acquitted him and he was found not guilty.

So you can use a weapon to subdue an assailant in the event your life is in danger but make sure you are licensed to carry one. Not everyone qualifies for one and most likely never ever will but just to point out the fact that carrying a weapon does not necessarily constitute premeditated violence/motive on the part of the victim. Its a rare situation but legally its a precedent.

For most people, your best option is a steering lock or a Maglite - both are common items kept in most cars and won't get you into trouble. Good luck, Malaysia isn't what it used to be.

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Actually the lawyer that fired the gun should have aimed at the deceased leg or something. Probably being at that age his aiming is not that sharp so he went for the easy target.

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
how the extendable rod thinggy, even sold at pasar malam..
is that legal?
Those are definitely illegal. If you noticed the extendable rod normally get displayed together with knuckle dusters. But these items get sold out fast. people always like weapons.

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Actually the lawyer that fired the gun should have aimed at the deceased leg or something. Probably being at that age his aiming is not that sharp so he went for the easy target.
That sounds good in theory but completely unworkable in practice.

I'm not trying to needle you for coming up with that suggestion, but since we are here info-sharing, I might as well be more straightforward. No offence intended.

That 'shoot the assailant to wound' theory is something we hear all the time from folks who never ever used a firearm under extreme stress (eg. when you are being assaulted).

At various points in my life, I have employed firearms...mainly in sports (hunting, target shooting, and combat style IPSC typ-events). In the last catergory of competition, the emphasis is on self-defence scenarios.

A few points are relevant :-

1. Any reasonably fit assailant and those who are physically under the influence of controlled substances (drugs, LSD, etc) will be able to cover a distance of 20 feet in less than a second. That's faster than a lot of people can clear their gun from a concealed holster. If you don't believe me, you can simulate this yourself. All you need is you, a friend, and a stopwatch. Have your buddy pace out 20 feet distance and have him turn to face you. On your 'Go' signal, have him make a run at you full tilt. As soon as he reaches near enough to shoulder tap you, stop the stopwatch. Any threat with a knife or blunt weapon 20 feet or closer is lethal.

2. Bullets don't stop people dead in their tracks despite what you see in the movies. This is made worse by the fact that the presence of adrenaline or drugs in the body of an assailant will lessen any perception of pain, and in many cases (eg. with assailants high on PCP) the body does not perceive pain in the normal sense and does not react in response to stimuli of inflicted pain (eg. bullet wounds). The only guaranteed instant one-shot stop is a shot to the central nervous system (the brain, the spine). Lung shots are notorious for failures to stop. It can be fatal eventually, but your assailant will have plenty of steam left to kill you before he expires. Generally, they teach a double-tap. Two quick consecutive shots to body centre mass and continue as necessary until target is down This is the largest, most easily aimed target during high stress and where major organs are located (specifically the heart). Hits to aorta or any large vessel of the heart are fatal and will cause an almost instantaneous loss in blood pressure to render an assailant non-effective. Hits to the extremities such as legs and arms are poor stoppers. There are major arteries running through your leg, namely the femoral artery which is potentially fatal when severed due to massive bleeding, but your assailant won't bleed out before he has time to knife you.

3. Most folks can't shoot for shit, much less do it during stress under the threat of life and death. Despite what you might think, not many firearm owners are really proficient with their guns. The standard Malaysian police annual re-qualification course for licence renewal consist of the applicant standing at a peaceful gun range and taking all the time they need to put a full magazine of bullets into an inanimate target (aprrox 2.5' x 2.5' feet) downrange at around 50 feet. As long as you put all the bullets within the target, you pass. It's a piece of cake. By the way, the target does not shoot back, nor does it charge at you with a knife. Under assault, it's understandable that most gun owners do not have the composure to pull off exceptional marksmanship. It's difficult enough to centerpunch an assailant with a double-tap, much less with multiple assailants and with civilian in the background.

Shooting the leg, or shooting to wound is easily said but not something easily accomplished.

In my opinion that lawyer did everything right. I read that case before. He did not escalate the fight. It was the other guy who went for him and did not stop even after he saw the firearm and was challenged to stop. When he continued advancing with weapon in hand, the ingredients for next level of force was met. Notice one important thing...the court never insist on a need to 'shoot to wound'. The court was only concerned whether his response was disproportionate. Under the circumstances, it was deemed justifiable. The consequences of the assailant (whther he lived or died) is not relevant once the employment of a firearm was justified.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

how the extendable rod thinggy, even sold at pasar malam..
is that legal?
It's a retractable baton. There are no other plausible uses for any any baton other than its use as an impact weapon. So it might be tricky explaining to the cops if such an item is found in your possession.

As [Pimpin] suggested, a Maglite will be a more explainable option. Made of high strength aluminium, the longer ones are hefty and durable enough to double as an impact weapon. There is nothing sinister for keeping a Maglite torch in your car...(for breakdowns and illumination etc)

Last edited:

sagaevo

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Good write FVel....in most cases....yes we talk when things doesn't get wrong as if we are fearless or gung-ho.....but humans emotion relatively are unpredictable....when a loner wimp is cornered with his life on the threat....he will fight back in any given chances to get out alive. Its either he surpasses the ordeal or he don't at all...thats up to his survival wits

I agree with what you said on the "walk-off" from a fight....that's what i do even if i'm alone or with my family with me while on the road.....couple of scenes happened before this as personal experiences of mine, like some f***faces gets on slowdown and started staring dog at you like they are in this world has the biggest balls and uncontrollable killer instinct-anger attitude, some showing finger or any sort provoking signal or gestures to intimidate you, some morons stops and getting out of the car and then start to seek a unregulated boxing match with you....there are couple of these dramas on our road every single freaking day. To me, my approach is simple: "You bagus, you handal, you kuat and you hebat, you menang.....saya kalah..." but IF the situation in mere nonsense stage and avoidable.....but when situation comes to boiling point like for example accident cases that leads up intolerable differences which spikes up to a different level of argument...then i will have to take all my chances to defend myself if things turns ugly.....but normally in our sensical way, we settle in diplomatic and fair manners with the intervation of the Law....

Last time i used to keep samurai swords (both long and short) in my car for my own protection (and yes, i used it and was nearly going to wave it before in one stupid incident)....my dad found out and immediately took that away from me.....he gave me mouthful of words after that and i just rewind myself and think back what he said.....now....i just make 2 steps behind if one or more person (don't care on him being smaller or bigger than me...) start to create a commotion or "cari pasal".....unless if the person pushes the edge too far away from all diplomatic settlement...

But still, i do keep a cricket bat and a big hard rotan for my own protection if in case of unpredictable incident.....not for the sake of showing bravery or who-has-biggest-balls-measuring issue, but for the sake of my own and my families life to be safe out...

I partly believe in "street justice"....but only on comes right time and right circumstances.......

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
FVel, Yea I think your are right. I have not handle a firearm before so just take my comment as a noob. Anyway what happened to the lawyer? Was he charged. Can't remember the outcome.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
FVel, Yea I think your are right. I have not handle a firearm before so just take my comment as a noob. Anyway what happened to the lawyer? Was he charged. Can't remember the outcome.
He was acquitted. Meaning he was found not guilty in court. So yes, he was charged and had to go through the normal police procedures, etc. But in the end, the judge saw that given his age and the threat that he was faced with including the fact that he had fired a warning shot, was enough grounds for it be classified as self defense. I'm not a lawyer or anything but I roughly know the general details of what happened throughout the whole ordeal. Took an interest in following the events unfolding since his daughter and my elder sister were house mates during Uni days.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

As [Pimpin] suggested, a Maglite will be a more explainable option. Made of high strength aluminium, the longer ones are hefty and durable enough to double as an impact weapon. There is nothing sinister for keeping a Maglite torch in your car...(for breakdowns and illumination etc)
Good to see that we have a weapons expert here on ZTH. :adore:

I hope people actually take the time to read what you have written because I believe that most people who have never been exposed to firearms before really have no idea what to expect. Nor do they realize what a huge responsibility even having a license is. My Dad had a gun license from when I was a kid but he kept his firearm at the balai and I think by now he has surrendered it. Growing up, my Mum was especially strict about guns and my Dad's bodyguards were not allowed to bring them into the house. In fact, until today that is still the case today. Only one of my elder cousins gets away with bringing a gun into any of our homes and I think it's because my Mum does not realize he wears an ankle holster. Plus its a Walther PPK 9mm and with baggy pants, unless you were looking for it the average person would not notice.

I do shoot from time to time although not in Malaysian ranges. If you own land over a certain acreage like an orchard etc, you can apply for a license and we do have .22 rifles at our dusuns. And since I'm from Perlis, its only a matter of crossing into Thailand and you can pay to shoot at the gun clubs there. Usually, I shoot the Sig P226 although they have some interesting guns you can try out but even in a less regulated country like Thailand the gun range is not like in the movies. There are very very very strict rules which you can never ever break. FVel can confirm this. Among them, never point a gun even if its unloaded at anybody at anytime. Ever. If you're not ready to shoot it should always point downwards, finger never on the trigger, etc. Weapons discipline is no joke. If you're new, someone loads the magazine for you, etc. Of course, people never realize how loud a gun shot really is until they hear it go off.

Anyway, FVel definitely knows more and can probably go on for many pages on guns, shooting, firearms act 1967 (?), etc. But the point is that guns are not toys and neither are samurais, katanas, brass knuckles, batons etc. If you carry such weapons you'd have to be willing to use it. How many actually will when push comes to shove? Would you even have time to react? Of all the weapons sold in and around KL, I'd say the brass knuckles are probably the worst to have in your possession. Most of the batons sold are rather flimsy. The retractable ones are hollow and quality isn't great. You're better off using a solid thick rotan - it would definitely hurt more than the baton. The samurais and katanas although dangerous aren't the same samurais you get in Japan. Usually they are meant as ornamental pieces and decorative items. Sure you can get them sharpened but how strong is the actual blade? I'm guessing its not Damascus steel although they may be advertised as such. The brass knuckles will do damage especially if used in a blow to the head, could even be permanent.

I know we all want to be safe and would do anything to protect our loved ones, but don't do anything silly. Try not to carry a weapon when there is no immediate threat to your safety. If you do want something to at least fend off assailants, then as mentioned the Maglite is your safest bet. But safety is also way of life. How you live, where you live, the way you carry yourself, etc. People detect vulnerability and exploit your weaknesses.

Try to be more situationally aware of your surroundings. If you have a nice car, perhaps you don't walk up to it straight away. Look around the carpark for anything suspicious and if something doesn't feel right, walk away. While driving, keep to roads you are familiar with and know to be safe. Even then, you should at least know two or three different ways to get to and from somewhere. Keep an eye on cars around you and if possible note the type of people inside. When stopped at the lights, don't play with your mobile while leaving your windows open. Casually glance at your mirrors every so often to see if there are suspicious motorbikes creeping up behind etc.

There are many ways to keep safe. These are just some that I made a part of my life and there are more. It doesn't always have to begin with weapons, but with your mindset and how you go about securing your family and your property.

Stay safe guys. FVel, thanks for that post it was informative.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
dayumm this is a good thread
very very informative on self defence
though i wish we lived in a world where self defence wasnt necessary :banghead:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Wholesale price 100% guaranteed lowest Price with free shipping.shop today.
visit our website to shop.Need assistance? contact us by phone or email

Shipping Information & Methods:

We does not ship on national holiday delivery services. The shipping company is selected based on your requested shipping method and we are not able to select a specific shipping method that you request. We emphasize to choose the best shipping company for the fastest delivery method to your address

This...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience