Short Review: VW Golf GTI 7.5 vs Golf R 7.5 vs A250 AMG

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Short Review: VW Golf GTI 7.5 vs Golf R 7.5 vs A250 AMG

A lot has happened since my first encounter with the latest MK7.5 VW Golf GTI when it was just introduced here last year, with the arrival of the 7.5 Golf R, even the new Merc A250 has joined in the hot hatch fun. So recently, I thought I'd revisit the GTI to very briefly, find out and report how it fares against the bigger brother Golf R and nemesis Merc A250. It's going to be very short so I hope youll enjoy reading regardless

GTI & Golf R

GTI still satisfyingly quick, impressively fast everywhere, rides brilliantly, highly dependable daily pocket rocket. Also undeniably characterless, almost like a 230ps box on wheels, that sits 4 comfortably.

That's where the Golf R comes in, it is noticeably tighter, more well put together, taut, mature, premium, drives better in every way and has a certain weight to it, which the GTI posses less of.

But the GTI gets it done. Fine, It's not right up there with the R or AMGs but it's never too far behind either. A couple of seconds away, no big deal. It does feel a lot simpler and FF torque steer pulling sensation is very apparent in the GTI as opposed to the R.

MK7.5 Golf GTI Review:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/2018/review-2018-vw-golf-gti-mk7-5

GTI & A250 AMG Line

GTI still leads by a margin, driving performance wise. Girl next door car, simple, predictable, almost faultless, perfected, practical, more affordable, but to a certain extent getting a bit cliche since MK5. Chassis gadgetry in the GTI trumps the A250, has adaptive dampers and XDS e-LSD that actually works. Undoubtedly the hot hatch to benchmark on, feels heavy duty and a worthy daily workhorse as well.

Is the A250 a hot hatch? Not by nature but it is close. At least it tries to be. It isn't as developed as the GTI but it is the more impressive car here, simply because it is unexpected of a regular Merc. Has superb ambiance, unbeatable cockpit, better driveability anywhere, very responsive, quick, refined, agile, more comfortable even with its passive, full mechanical suspension. 7 speed DCT transmission is almost perfect, only slightly marred by minute hesitations at low speeds when coming to a stop. The A250 is quite a bit more expensive, but it feels expensive. Other than that, better tyres would benefit it greatly.

MK7.5 Golf R Review:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/2019/review-2019-vw-golf-r-3-door
Continue reading the Post.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I find VWs hard to drive slow - specifically in jams. The 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 gear shifts is scary and most of the time rough. But when cruising it's hard to beat the VWs.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I find VWs hard to drive slow - specifically in jams. The 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 gear shifts is scary and most of the time rough. But when cruising it's hard to beat the VWs.
Not sure if it's a problem but I get a slight hint of that free play sensation sometimes. I found that pressing the throttle pedal at just a certain rate frees it from the thud

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Not sure if it's a problem but I get a slight hint of that free play sensation sometimes. I found that pressing the throttle pedal at just a certain rate frees it from the thud
Free play is always there. But how do you give it any throttle to avoid the thud in a jam? The throttle sometimes is unpredictable in jam situations, a little too much and the car thuds and surges, a little too little and it starts to roll backwards. I don't really fancy the VW GB. Is the Merc one more controllable?

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Tom, always love your timely and relevance of contrast and comparison. If you were to make a choice between these 3 cars, which would be your daily driving machine?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Free play is always there. But how do you give it any throttle to avoid the thud in a jam? The throttle sometimes is unpredictable in jam situations, a little too much and the car thuds and surges, a little too little and it starts to roll backwards. I don't really fancy the VW GB. Is the Merc one more controllable?
Wait are you talking about the MK 7 onwards or the 5 and 6? The Merc one in the AMG 45s has a little of that, in the new A250 no, but only during braking at low speeds as the gears shuffles down to 1st.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Tom, always love your timely and relevance of contrast and comparison. If you were to make a choice between these 3 cars, which would be your daily driving machine?
Hey thanks, good to know you enjoyed
Between the 3 above, no doubt the R.
Between the GTI and A, probably the A for its newness, toys, lux and because relatively more special - if budget is not a crucial factor

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Wait are you talking about the MK 7 onwards or the 5 and 6? The Merc one in the AMG 45s has a little of that, in the new A250 no, but only during braking at low speeds as the gears shuffles down to 1st.
Oh sorry.. I'm referring to any of the TSI cars. I haven't driven the MK7

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hey thanks, good to know you enjoyed
Between the 3 above, no doubt the R.
Between the GTI and A, probably the A for its newness, toys, lux and because relatively more special - if budget is not a crucial factor
You said the A250 needs better tires. What tires did the test car use?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
After reading this i tot its my right foot is used to underpowered everyday car amd tend to step on the pedal more to get things going.

More than 5 years ago i was force to a short test drive of a golf GTI and the throttle is either 0% or 20-30% in slow traffic where i was either not moving or darts forward. I tot its my rigth foot.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

there will be a dealer to handle our TiTAN business soon :)

they accept credit cards, but pls bear with them and help with the (maybe) extra % for the credit card service..

these guys are reputable in the car modding industry and were selected carefully for their professionalism and level of expertise.

i will announce later when the deals have been finalised and very sure who'll be our dealer :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience