Service Centre Not Using Their Own Product?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
They should not using other brands or parts eventhough out of stock or they try to lower their cost. This is consumer cheating edi. We as a consumer pay for that amount of money quoted by team and end up getting something that is not in our expectation although the parts might or might not harm our car. This is not right though for a service centre.
That is the point. When they charge for oil filter, they probably charge it for the price of Toyota oil filter but in reality, they are using Daihatsu oil filter. I know this oil filter is just something small, but imagine if they do this kind of thing for major parts inside the engine, especially parts that cannot be seen easily.

Bought only one new car and that was the 2nd Gen Civic way back, and was straight away serviced outside....lol
Wife's Chery SUV serviced in SC until warranty period over.....:driver:
I think back in 2nd gen Civic days, service centre did not offer so many services like today. :biggrin:

Your current Forester?

Normally those filters are made by Denso and just change label only from 1 car brand to another but still the same/compatible. So not sure why it became so stuck like that, maybe they just over tighten.

For me, my wife's Livina was still serviced in TC for some time after warranty BUT I brought my own oil filter and oil bought from Tesco or whatever. Why I still serviced at SC:
1. For my case it's also because the SC was relatively close, and I like the way Tan Chong service handles customer, pretty efficient.
2. The car is only driven in very short distances that time, so the mileage moves slow ((bought in early 2011 but still only 60k km now) hence I don't need to service often, thus cost is not much of an issue.
3. I tried to maintain the service record history as proof that the car is indeed low mileage.

Only after I moved house late last year then I already change oil outside at a nearby shop, only once so far now. Oil & filter are still bought on my own then brought to the shop and paid just for labor. I also just service the brakes for that car at some other shop in PJ after searching for cheap pads in mudah (found TRW pads). :biggrin: But changing coil plugs and spark plugs early this year was still done at SC (coz of misfiring so I brought to SC to properly diagnose), with parts I bought outside to minimize the cost. So now it will be mostly outside shops except maybe is got strange problems then maybe I go to SC (which is a bit far).
Maybe newbie trainee at work and over tightened it.

Nissan Tan Chong SC accepts oil and parts brought in my customer?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think back in 2nd gen Civic days, service centre did not offer so many services like today. :biggrin:

Your current Forester?

Maybe newbie trainee at work and over tightened it.

Nissan Tan Chong SC accepts oil and parts brought in my customer?
One reason was my brother bought a civic too a year or two earlier and the service was not good, so I forgo it.....lol
Another reason is the trainee thing......hhahahhaha

Forester still under warranty and bought new not those 2016 model offer in 2017, so it come with 3 years full free service includes oil and filter, so of course send back to SC.....lol (All free mah!)

Many SC don't allow outside oil and stuffs.....:smokin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Not all SCs allow though. I heard mostly not.
Probably because of the things that I mentioned.

One reason was my brother bought a civic too a year or two earlier and the service was not good, so I forgo it.....lol

Forester still under warranty and bought new not those 2016 model offer in 2017, so it come with 3 years full free service includes oil and filter, so of course send back to SC.....lol (All free mah!)

Furthermore at SC, you can't stand there and watch how do they work with your car. So, you won't know what kind of work quality that they are giving you.

3 years full service for free, of course go back SC better. Anyway, new car maintenance also nothing much to do, can trust SC enough to let them handle it.

Yeah, later put wrong type of oil viscosity or brought in 3rd party parts and end up got problem, SC will get blamed. For their reputation and safety, the best thing that they could do is not to allow any other outside products. Besides, using outside products will only lower their profit margin.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Whoaa so good ah, 3 yrs full service including oil too?? Are other car brands also like that nowadays??

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Whoaa so good ah, 3 yrs full service including oil too?? Are other car brands also like that nowadays??
I think these are all factored in already at purchase price. Mine bought in 2016 for 2016 model less RM26k, meaning I bought at RM140k
Then those who bought in 2017 for 2016 model paid like RM130k, they say factor in depreciation for being 2016 model but they do not get free oil and parts, only free labour

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think these are all factored in already at purchase price. Mine bought in 2016 for 2016 model less RM26k, meaning I bought at RM140k
Then those who bought in 2017 for 2016 model paid like RM130k, they say factor in depreciation for being 2016 model but they do not get free oil and parts, only free labour
Hahaha yeah of course nothing is really for free!

DanzEterna

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
they are not supposed to use other parts brand, only TOYOTA,
if out of stock ok can accept the Daihatsu oil filter, but when the stock arrives must replace with Toyota ones at no costs. balance of the engine oil also supposed to bring home.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Your words are exactly my point of this post. Well said. Furthermore, I don't know how they screw in the oil filter because it is so difficult for my mechanic to remove it. You can even see the whole oil filter is crumpled from my photo. My mechanic even said throughout his 40 years experience of repairing cars, he never came across such a tightly fitted oil filter. Now, this makes me think that they probably din't even bother to remove the filter on previous service since they din't give back the used filter to my mother. Or maybe they forcefully fit in this Daihatsu oil filter into the car. :confused:
Overtightened oil filter - not my first time come across this. Go to a different SC. Also, did you confirm this is a SC not just an "authorized workshop"? Not the same thing.

SCs have their approved vendors to buy spare parts so if this was issued by the SC, then with receipt you're covered by the SC warranty. The SC would not risk legal action against them for a simple thing as minor as using a non-approved filter. Having said that if this was issued by their approved supplier then no issue la.

You could have asked the SC why Daihatsu.

if out of stock ok can accept the Daihatsu oil filter, but when the stock arrives must replace with Toyota ones at no costs. balance of the engine oil also supposed to bring home.
Most of the time the mechanics claim users don't want the extra oil and keep it themselves to later resell. Unspoken tactics by unscrupulous mechs.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Most of the time the mechanics claim users don't want the extra oil and keep it themselves to later resell. Unspoken tactics by unscrupulous mechs.
Yup, every car get 0.5L, 7 cars get 3.5L, 8th car gets this oil, mechanic keeps new bottle......lol:rofl:

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Normally those filters are made by Denso and just change label only from 1 car brand to another but still the same/compatible. So not sure why it became so stuck like that, maybe they just over tighten.

For me, my wife's Livina was still serviced in TC for some time after warranty BUT I brought my own oil filter and oil bought from Tesco or whatever. Why I still serviced at SC:
1. For my case it's also because the SC was relatively close, and I like the way Tan Chong service handles customer, pretty efficient.
2. The car is only driven in very short distances that time, so the mileage moves slow ((bought in early 2011 but still only 60k km now) hence I don't need to service often, thus cost is not much of an issue.
3. I tried to maintain the service record history as proof that the car is indeed low mileage.

Only after I moved house late last year then I already change oil outside at a nearby shop, only once so far now. Oil & filter are still bought on my own then brought to the shop and paid just for labor. I also just service the brakes for that car at some other shop in PJ after searching for cheap pads in mudah (found TRW pads). :biggrin: But changing coil plugs and spark plugs early this year was still done at SC (coz of misfiring so I brought to SC to properly diagnose), with parts I bought outside to minimize the cost. So now it will be mostly outside shops except maybe is got strange problems then maybe I go to SC (which is a bit far).
same here, still drive my x-gear to TC for service. No complain. Except toilet condition.
my wife drive to work only. Occasionally family trip. :driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
same here, still drive my x-gear to TC for service. No complain. Except toilet condition.
my wife drive to work only. Occasionally family trip. :driver:
Maybe since after warranty they allow to bring own oil.......lol:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
They did gave back the balance of the engine oil all the time. But there is one time that really made my mother angry because they placed the engine oil inside the car, on the floor mat. But they did not even tighten the cover properly. When my mother is driving back, the remaining engine oil spilled on the floor mat.

Overtightened oil filter - not my first time come across this. Go to a different SC. Also, did you confirm this is a SC not just an "authorized workshop"? Not the same thing.

SCs have their approved vendors to buy spare parts so if this was issued by the SC, then with receipt you're covered by the SC warranty. The SC would not risk legal action against them for a simple thing as minor as using a non-approved filter. Having said that if this was issued by their approved supplier then no issue la.

You could have asked the SC why Daihatsu.

Oh, so this issue is not a rare case then. It is indeed a SC as it is the largest Toyota SC in Ipoh.

Now my mother is trying to find back the receipt from her previous service. She said she will highlight this issue the next time Toyota calls her to remind her about her service appointment.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After asking a few mechanics' opinion, I have found out the auto gearbox for my Wira a/b 1.6 is going to die soon. All have suggested replacing the gearbox. Now, I have switched gearbox 3 times already, and I'm tired of that. Furthermore, the car revs more than it moves, therefore consuming a lot of petrol.

A friend's mechanic said he can replace my gearbox with a manual one at RM1700. This includes a 4G93 1.8 gearbox, gear console, pedals, flywheel, clutchplate, starter and all other...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience