Sepang 1000km Champions return for more at the 2010 MMER

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

The 2010 Merdeka Millennium Endurance Race is only hours away from the start. Over the week we brought you some information on the different teams that are contesting for top spot in their respective categories, everyone's talking about the big boys with their Porsche's, Lamborghini's, Aston Martin's and Audi R8's. However, some people overlook the presence of the 2010 Sepang 1000km champions crowned as recently as this past June, Kenny Lee and Chris O'Shannessy.

This is not the first time the duo will be battling it out with the others in the MMER, both Kenny and Chris have been crowned champions of the MMER before as well. The dynamic duo are joined this time round by KC Chua or better known as Ah Bee, another veteran of the MMER. The three of them will be racing a Toyota Altezza for the Wing Hin racing team. Having qualified 7th, they race against the class favourites, the Honda Malaysia Racing Team, JC Racing and HKS Garage R Racing, quite a daunting task.

We catch up with Kenny Lee and Chris O' to share some of their views and opinions. Bee was not available for comment as he was working on his car when we visited their garage, yes he works on his own car, how many drivers do that these days?

Kenny Lee

It must be quite a good feeling coming here right after being crowned the overall champions at the Sepang 1000km race back in June, however compared to the S1K, the MMER is a completely different race altogether, the car's different, the team's different, what are your expectations besides just finishing the race and gunning for the podium?

Racing at night is always my favourite as it reminds me of how I got started back in Batu 3, Shah Alam. Besides that, Wing Hin Motorsports has progressed a lot and has moved forward with a better Super Taikyu TRD Factory Works race car with solid effort on the chassis and handling. It will be a great experience to race it in this year MME.

You do most of the set up for the car and did the same for the car you guys raced in the S1K, are there any difference in configuration for a longer harder race like the MMER?

Oh yes, there are many variables that we can play with the cars in terms of brakes, with bias system, suspensions with fully adjustable racing dampers, adjustable rollbars and stuff. It takes more effort to perfect the setup, and fortunately, we are glad to get the perfect setup to endure on Saturday midnight.

Handling however is key to endurance racing, as you may gain few seconds around the track consistently, unlike having more power yet stressing up the engine.

What do you think of the Pirelli's allocated to all the teams?

Well, that's part of the game, it is more of an organisers decision to bring in these tyre manufacturers which they considered will be good for the tyre manufacturers, competitors as well as the event. The move towards one make tyre suppliers is certainly beneficial to lower budget teams.

Anything to say to your teammates?

Let's do it again :)

Chris O'Shannessy

It must be quite a good feeling coming here right after being crowned the overall champions at the Sepang 1000km race back in June, however compared to the S1K, the MMER is a completely different race altogether, the car's different, the team's different, what are your expectations besides just finishing the race and gunning for the
podium?

Good question, I have already competed in three MMER 12Hr events, the first in 2006. The most memorable being 2007. A different car, yes!! finally a rear wheel drive, what the purists might say is a “a real car” and one that is very rewarding to drive fast.

Indeed an all new team, “Team Wing Hing Motorsports” having tested for this team prior to the 2010 S1K its great to be back and is all the more rewarding to be pairing again with my very good friend, Kenny Lee as the lead driver and a new talent in Ah Bee.

Together, Kenny and I had the joy of celebrating the 2010 S1K-1000 win and now with the MMER 2010 we have the reward of being reunited twice in one year, its great to be back at Sepang and its great to be apart of a Toyota Factory Team Attack.

We have quite a number of well-funded teams as well as some very big names in Malaysian motorsport, what do you think your chances are for a podium finish?

Agreed there are quite a number of well funded teams spanning all the classes, I would consider Wing Hing MotorSport “Wing Hing Toyota” to be in the same league, having 2 Toyota Altezza’s is a statement of commitment and is something to be commended. From a podium perspective, the aim for the team is to remain focused and consistent across the 12 hours, maintaining this I believe is the challenge and should result in a placing which would be very well received.

You have raced in the dark in earlier MMER's, what is it like compared to racing in the day?

To me there is little difference between the day and night, its just a case of staying alert and ensuring that you give the front runners “GT cars” some space so everyone can continue on, having been in the MMER for a few years now in class C cars, faster cars lapping you become somewhat routine and you develop that feeling for what’s around you and when its going to arrive.

And the car, it looked like you guys were struggling a bit during practise, any concerns?

No concerns to speak of, from a practice perspective there were a myriad of changes to try and with the tyre compound being only just available, a consistent predictable package that will suit Kenny Lee Ah Bee Chua and myself over an extended stint had to be found, now we have it, the car is just fantastic and one that I can say brings a smile to my face.

What would you like to say to your teammates?
Thanks for making me feel welcome and part of the team, lets keep our eye on the ball and do the best we can and again fly the flag high and proud for Toyota.

Any Sponsors you want to thank?
A final plug for the sponsors if I can, as it’s the support from these great people that enable me to compete in the MMER, Mr William Loh Wing Hing MotorSport, Mr Ken Young Nexus Craft Malaysia, Battery Energy Australia, Sunway Resort and Hotel Management and staff.

Ah Bee was not available at time of interview

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

You guys ever tried to clean ur interior by urself? I'm driving a satria GTi, with stock interior. The seats are getting dirty and the left door panel has gotten a bit loose, as well as a few panels around the car. Thinking of DIY and clean it myself, have to sayang the car once in a while mah :D

Can I know:
1) how to clean the recaro seats
2) how to remove the door panel
3) my car got heater (evo aircon system, got heater one), so once I am done with the seat cleaning should I turn on the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience