semi slick or normal tyres

KeeSeong

KeeSeong

Jun 14, 2010
hi sifus,

wanted to ask wad tyre u all currently using for ur daily driven n touge car?? hehe

currently am using semi (already semi when buying tis car).. but is time to change so now headache wan to change normal or change bek semi?
so far quite satisfy with semi on dry road feeling macam ada glue stick on the road hehe but during rainy, im driving 60 haha scare spin leh...somemore duno the lifespan n they said using semi slick will bend ur car bodyframe..true ar? If yes scary leh...

Any comments from sifus r much appreciated...

KenDiriwan

KenDiriwan

Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
UHP is more than sufficient on daily and touge purpose. Using semi slick, you are not only endangering yourself but other road user. The question is are you able to pick up full responsibility on you and others when something wrong happened? You won't be thinking of going back to tyre shop as they don't held duty on where you going to use your tyre and consequences.

I believe tyre alone is less capable in bending your chassis frame unless your vehicle is fitted with track configured suspension. Keep your semi's for track day.

yokohama ad08

hi sifus,

wanted to ask wad tyre u all currently using for ur daily driven n touge car?? hehe

currently am using semi (already semi when buying tis car).. but is time to change so now headache wan to change normal or change bek semi?
so far quite satisfy with semi on dry road feeling macam ada glue stick on the road hehe but during rainy, im driving 60 haha scare spin leh...somemore duno the lifespan n they said using semi slick will bend ur car bodyframe..true ar? If yes scary leh...

If you still want to have that glue-like grip while reasonably good enough in the wet and have enough budget, then can try the Yokohama AD08R like Pomen GTR mentioned above. Otherwise, like bro KenDiriwan suggested, better just use UHP or Max performance tires (like Goodyear F1, Michelin PS3 & PSS, Continental CSC5, Hankook V12 Evo2, BS Potenza RE003, etc2.) Those are already very grippy tires and excellent in the wet too.

hi sifus,

What semi slick are you using now? If near bald it is going slick already....hhahaha:rofl:

If want good in both dry and wet, go for UHP and/or Max performance tyres as mentioned by both Bro. KenDiriwan and bro. 6UE5t.

If want more dry grip then go extreme like what bro. pomen mentioned. From AD-08R, still have Federal RSRR, Toyo R-1R, GT Radial SX2, etc.

After extreme category will be your semi slick.....

KeeSeong

KeeSeong

Jun 14, 2010
wokie wokiee...thanks for advise... will look for the tyres recommended.. :)

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

What semi slick are you using now? If near bald it is going slick already....hhahaha:rofl:

If want good in both dry and wet, go for UHP and/or Max performance tyres as mentioned by both Bro. KenDiriwan and bro. 6UE5t.

If want more dry grip then go extreme like what bro. pomen mentioned. From AD-08R, still have Federal RSRR, Toyo R-1R, GT Radial SX2, etc.

After extreme category will be your semi slick.....
Bro.. im currently using

Front - Kumho ECSTA
Rear - Federal 595 RSR

actually 4 tyres still have grip js that rear tyres got crack on d sidewall so was planning to change 2pcs same brand.. but looks like im goin to change UHP after ur all advise.. but those tyres quite expensive mayb look for good condition 2nd hand..

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Bro.. im currently using

Front - Kumho ECSTA
Rear - Federal 595 RSR

actually 4 tyres still have grip js that rear tyres got crack on d sidewall so was planning to change 2pcs same brand.. but looks like im goin to change UHP after ur all advise.. but those tyres quite expensive mayb look for good condition 2nd hand..
Bro, what sizes are you using actually? How much is your budget?

Bro.. im currently using

Front - Kumho ECSTA
Rear - Federal 595 RSR

Yup, what tyre size? If possible get new better.
Your Kumho Ecsta is what model?

KeeSeong

KeeSeong

Jun 14, 2010
Just checked the tyre, mine is Ecsta XS.. year 2011..tyre size 225 45 17

budget ah.. 800 to 1000?

Friend recommend bridgestone RE003.. but definitely over budget for the size.. so looking for 2nd hand lo..

Just checked the tyre, mine is Ecsta XS.. year 2011..tyre size 225 45 17

budget ah.. 800 to 1000?

Friend recommend bridgestone RE003.. but definitely over budget for the size.. so looking for 2nd hand lo..
Ecsta XS is KU36, including Federal RSR means your tyres are extreme tyres, not semi slicks. Semi slicks another category up, semi have even better dry grip but lesser wet grip.
RE-003 is UHP category. Dry grip not as good as extreme but better in wet.

For RM500 per pc, try checking out PS3 and GY Asy2, both Max category, but price might be slightly over 500
If still into extreme can check out Kumho new V720 and Nankang NS2R. Too bad for Achilles 123S and GT Radial SX2 your tyre size not listed.

KeeSeong

KeeSeong

Jun 14, 2010
Ecsta XS is KU36, including Federal RSR means your tyres are extreme tyres, not semi slicks. Semi slicks another category up, semi have even better dry grip but lesser wet grip.
RE-003 is UHP category. Dry grip not as good as extreme but better in wet.

For RM500 per pc, try checking out PS3 and GY Asy2, both Max category, but price might be slightly over 500
If still into extreme can check out Kumho new V720 and Nankang NS2R. Too bad for Achilles 123S and GT Radial SX2 your tyre size not listed.
Got extreme category ooo... but i look on website they put kumho n federal under semi slicks category n looking on the grip i reli tot it was semi slicks.

Hv u heard of tth tyre at puchong?? Tot of goin there to look for tyre mayb hv 800 to 1000 for 4pcs? Due to budget constraint :bawling:

Got extreme category ooo... but i look on website they put kumho n federal under semi slicks category n looking on the grip i reli tot it was semi slicks.

Hv u heard of tth tyre at puchong?? Tot of goin there to look for tyre mayb hv 800 to 1000 for 4pcs? Due to budget constraint :bawling:
Wah if only rm800-1000 for 4 pcs difficult la! Maybe just try to get Achilles ATR Sport 2 or something, maybe have your size. Some forumers here said it's pretty good value for money.

KeeSeong

KeeSeong

Jun 14, 2010
Wah if only rm800-1000 for 4 pcs difficult la! Maybe just try to get Achilles ATR Sport 2 or something, maybe have your size. Some forumers here said it's pretty good value for money.
HAhha...the budget is for 2nd hand wor...

If new i think i will go for UHP lo... re003

Nope, Federal website mentioned extreme performance...
Federal Tyres - UHP
Federal Semi slick is their FZ201 model
Federal Tyres - Federal Motorsports

Kumho USA only states them under UHP only, but is top of the pack. To me LE Sports is UHP, and XS and V720 are extreme category, because poor wet traction
Tire Selector - Kumho Tire USA, Inc.

Yup, heard of TTH Tyre, they are in Puchong light Industrial. Last time went there a few years ago. Old 2nd hand tyres imported in. Hard to find tyres that can pair off and that time tyres quite old so did not take any from him. You can try go and have a look, but don't buy any tyres that are too old. Rubber compound harden then less traction already.

If really on budget better off getting new Achilles ATR Sports 2, Rovelo A1 Sports. 4pcs around RM1k or slightly more can get if not mistaken

Hey I've seen there's some great information on here so I thought I'd run my project past the forums to make sure it's correctly planned out.

Like the title says, I'm planning to modify a 1994 Lancer very soon. The 1st thing I want to do is transplant a 4g93 under the hood for extra horses and reliability down the line when I want to turbo.
Will a DOHC MPI or GDI mount straight into the engine bay or am I looking at modifying the mountings?

Also will I need to tune a new ECU for it...