Second Generation Volvo XC90 Cancelled

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

It’s a pity, I always believed that the XC90 was a good looking car, and thought the T6 was a really powerful ride. I even thought that it was selling well and that it was a proper, cheaper alternative to Mercedes ML or BMW X5. As much as I, or maybe even you liked it, it’s sad to say that the XC90 may be no more.

Although due to be launched in the end of 2009, sources close to AMS Sweden stated that the decision was made a few days ago and that it was due to several factors like increased costs associated with weight saving which later translate to expensive lightweight material. The absence of new engines, transmissions and no hybrid technology-not even start/stop engine function, make it hard to sell. Ford (yes, they own Volvo), after seeing the sales of the BMW X5 dropping has determined that in order to stay competitive, all new models must offer lower fuel consumption and a hybrid model.

It’s almost confirmed that the XC90 will be shelved, so expect a major facelift in 2009 which may continue until 2012. Volvo has instead chosen to concentrate on the upcoming XC60, smaller XC50, and even smaller XC30. Hopefully the replacement models are equally pleasant to the eye and offer toll-booth dragging power.

Image Credits: AutoBlog

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dilantha Malagamuwa did a Sebastian Vettel as he cruised to his second consecutive victory in the opening round of the Malaysian Super Series (MSS) at Sepang International Circuit (SIC), cruising to a comfortable win in Round 2 and building up the crowd before the Formula One Grand Prix got underway.

This time around the race was incident-free...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience