searching for answers

Skyseven

Apr 21, 2005
searching for answers here.... as im still green in the whole modding buisness....

im driving a wira 1.6xli Millenium Ed. after a month of driving the car i had a problem where the mechanic said i had to change the engine(till today i still dont know whether he was telling the truth..) so i agreed and opted for a 4g93 mitsu engine as he said it would be cheaper than trying to replace it with another 4g92 proton engine.... total cost of the procedure is RM1200(is this cheap or expansive?)

i now know only this :

a) its SOHC
b) it had a mitsubishi head cover when it came so i guess its from mitsu....

later on for a few weeks... i found out my fourth gear in the gearbox broke or something... got it change and lately it feels as though the fourth gear aint there no more... (time for another gearbox change?)(im driving auto)

i wanna know a few things which is :

a) i have read about 4g93T and 4g93P is mine any of those? if so, how do i tell?
b)what kind of changes will i get if i were to install a different air filter? is it possible? is it illegal or tied to a ristriction? and what brand/model is recomended and how much?
c)without any turbo or supercharger what is my option for more power?
d)did i bought a crap engine?
e)i just change the muffler two - three weeks ago... at WAI HENG exhaust company and somehow it feels as i suffer from power lost or my fuel consumption just gained another level (i know the muffler is some lau kap brand one la)
f)whats the difference between DOHC and SOHC in my case?(as in my type of engine)
g)whats the difference between turbochager and super chager?

eterna22

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
auckland, NZ
Visit site
not sure on the price but i think i can help u on the tech issue....

a) urs is 4g93P , which means the proton 1.8 engine....4g93T is a nickname for the turbo engine... basically both engine is called 4g93 but WE use T and P to differenciate.... so yours is P .... mostly from the wira aeroback

b) not much changes, dont waste your money...just save it for turbo engine, you wont regret.

c) without any turbo charger basically your car wont be fast. Sure, you can get raw power in NA form, but reliability and cost will be the main factor. so , just turbo it.

d) can't tell u that, i dont know the condition of the engine....and depends on which angle you're looking at...
4g93 single cam is a very good engine.... but opting for power with that engine is not as good compared to other engine available.

e) muffler from wai heng doesnt mean its bad. All muffler does the same job. its just the quality. you suffer power loss and high fuel consumption because you lost your low end torque, due to no back pressure, and because of that, makes u step more, and in turn, u get high fuel consumption. Straightflow exhaust is good for high RPM, because there is less rescriction... go do a dyno, you can see u will lose low end torque and gain very little high end power.... then again, not worth the trouble...

f) sohc = single cam , dohc= twin cam.... in your case, your single cam controls both the intake and exhaust valve in ur engine head. twin cam has got individual cam to take care of intake and exhaust...

g) turbocharger = air compressor. uses your exhaust gas (waste) to turn an exhaust turbine , which connects to an intake turbine, so it will compress air and force into your engine. more air = more power .

supercharger , same thing, but driven by your pulley....

Skyseven

Apr 21, 2005
thanks for the help... but now i need some recomendation for suspension system... i wanna change all four... any suggestion (brand, model and price)

eterna22

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
auckland, NZ
Visit site
my only advice is do it once and do it right, save u money in the long run,

so , get those ajustable damper and height.

my preffered brand is

1) tein
2)GAB

and again, sorry not sure about the price in malaysia...maybe u can ask around ?

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
there are many other models of mitsubishi available for proton wira in d market now......not necessary to throw in d engine mentioned by ur mechanic....

if wan better performance...try DOHC engine la.....4g63 NA oso not bad...quite cheap//SOHC engine no power....u will cry

Skyseven

Apr 21, 2005
how true eh... thats why im thinking to change the engine.. or maybe the car straight away

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
if got tight financial budget then change engine itself oledi enuf for use..

if u get extra money n get bored wit driving wira....then may change to another car......depend on u la....wira itself not bad one i think....converted to evo rear windscreen with wiper.....4 evo doors wit auto window.....look better...

throw in sports suspension n ekzos....should be a good car.....supprt malaysia car ma...hehe

Skyseven

Apr 21, 2005
huakenny said:
if got tight financial budget then change engine itself oledi enuf for use..

if u get extra money n get bored wit driving wira....then may change to another car......depend on u la....wira itself not bad one i think....converted to evo rear windscreen with wiper.....4 evo doors wit auto window.....look better...

throw in sports suspension n ekzos....should be a good car.....supprt malaysia car ma...hehe

ok... lets see..

change engine :done
evo rear window :not yet didnt know that could be done
doors :ai my windows all got auto window

but it would help if somebody got info for tein suspension set for wira 1.6...... need price and info for intallation and where to get one plus what model and is it good?

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
TeIn is very expensive and it is easy to find...juz the price not ngam only coz too high.....if ur car is fast enuf then 4 doors should change to evo doors....for safety purpose....coz d tulang of d door of evo is bigger n stronger than wira.....ok?

Skyseven

Apr 21, 2005
huakenny said:
TeIn is very expensive and it is easy to find...juz the price not ngam only coz too high.....if ur car is fast enuf then 4 doors should change to evo doors....for safety purpose....coz d tulang of d door of evo is bigger n stronger than wira.....ok?
hah? like that is it... ok useful information lor.. but expensive ka the doors? whats the estimation on the TEIN system?

Skyseven

Apr 21, 2005
need help here wants to know an estimation on TEIN adjustables suspension set for wira 1.6 yeah?

SiGNAL

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Ya Mum's House
Visit site
TEIN adjustables price varies... good condition could cost 1.8k to 2k+.... normal chop shop condition probably u can get around 1.4k for wira... and u also hafta find the correct series of TEIN. if you want height(hi low) and ride(soft hard), you might wanna find TEIN HA. There are many other TEIN series which may offer only height and maybe only ride adjustable... good luck