Runaway Toyota/Lexus (Safety Advisory)

mrk88

Nov 3, 2007
To all 2002 onwards Toyota/Lexus owners,

In M’sia, it will mostly affect Lexus owners,

YouTube- Toyota Acceleration Problem Is Still Unresolved - ABC's Nightline

although the problem appears to be well recorded in the US, I dont know whether theres any documented incident in other countries, but since the ECU architecture is the same throughout the car's production line whether its built in the US/Japan/locally, this is just a safety advisory, if floor mats are the problem please eliminate them.

If you experience a runaway Toyota or uncontrolled acceleration, please document them here.

Think of your loved ones.

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
why only happened in US ???
is this another US damn speculation try to make Toyota's good market down, since they lost GM ?

mrk88

Nov 3, 2007
There's no reason to be angry, I only posted a safety advisory so that Toyota/Lexus owners are aware. This does not mean that you should not buy another Toyota/Lexus.
And because consumer rights are strong in the States things like that are picked up easily as compared to M'sia.
It's quite childish of you to jump to conclusions that I am giving Toyota a bad name.

Put yourself in this situation where if you didn't know about this and it happens to you, and you get killed or a family member gets killed, by then it would have been too late.
But if you knew that this problem exist you could take evasive actions. (my posting is not to discourage buying Toyota but to let users of Toyota/Lexus know that if it does happen they can take necessary steps to save their life)

The gist of the story is a 2009 Lexus ES350 that accelerated on its own to ~120mph (200km/h) and crashed killing all the occupants in San Diego,USA.

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
I'm not angry...and I don't put the blame on you saying that you're making a bad name of Toyota...in fact I want thank you because you've share it out...

I've stop believe in US after what they done...

ok now back to topic...

I've browse through youtube...and found thi video

[youtube]7ep2Wdo19P0[/youtube]

Toyota point out at 2:04 mins , saying :

"Some news reports speculate about electronic engine control systems, braking performance of electro-magnetic interference among theories .There is no evidence to support these theories."
Toyota recalled 3.8 million vehicles in the United States...now they saying it was the ECU, brake and EM interference...? are they still finding someone to put the blame on ? or is it over exaggerates ...? I don't know...

Now...if you read the replies on youtube...you'll see these comments...

No matter how much I hate toyotas their owners and democrats. I have to say that there is NO way this can happen the drive by wire fails to idle. The people who see UFOs are just as convinced they seen it!!! I am sorry people died but it just did not happen like they said PERIOD!!!
if your vehicle is "accelerating out of crontrol"?? why not put it in neutral break and shut it off???? this people shouldnt even b dricing if they don't know how to handle dangerous situations.
Plus for vehicles with engine start/stop buttons, Toyota said the engine can be shut off by holding the button down for three seconds...

Cuz I still can't understand...how could that happened when you still can do those mentioned above...Please explain it to me...(again I'm not pointing at you, just try to understand could that happened beside the stuck carpet...)

linkeong

Known Member
May 8, 2008
The funny thing is all around the world there are the same cars but none of this happened. I dont really believe the US where people try to sue mcd for spilling coffee on themselves. Some people just want to appear on TV or win a million dollar lawsuit and stop working

mrk88

Nov 3, 2007
sounds easy until it happens to you, and i can bet you no one knew that you had to push the power button for 3 seconds to shut it off. go ahead ask any driver with start/stop ignition whether they know how to shut off their vehicle at 200km/h, i can tell you out of 10 ppl they will just say "i dont know". that's the reason why this was put up to let ppl know.
Putting it into N might not work if the ECU decides to go crazy as it is electronic (no mechanical link), and trying to step on your brakes at full throttle doesn't really work because its vacuum brakes where hydraulic assist is needed and is being used when its full throttle.

to linkeong,
you don't have to believe it but toyota did issue a ECU reprogramming memo to dealers, so they are aware of the problem, and recalling 3.8 million vehicles blaming it on floor mats is a lousy excuse. and if you say US likes to play suing games, Toyota would have sued the ppl that spilled this, but they didn't because there's enough of evidence by consumers.

corollagtouring

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2005
conspiracy theory? maybe these are the steps taken to win back the market by US based car manufacturer? the world have come to a new type of war and the tactics is always the same... deception....

Toyota really gripped US market in many ways... even the smallest and cheapest TV dramas using Toyota...

Maybe Malaysia G also using the same Art of War... deception? threatening to close all chop shop will slow the advancement of these chop shop in bringing in parts into Malaysia and boost up the new parts market?

and the victim will always be us.. the end user

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
2009 Lexus ES350

I think we in malaysia will not have to worry too much about this issue. The main model Lexus sell here is Harrier and IS250 only.
Since my salary prohibits me from buying anything newer than a year 2000 car, I'm pretty much safe from the runaway electronics issue:biggrin:

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
lucky seg, se, LE all use THROTTLE CABLE :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: ...worst come to worst cable putus only...wakakakaaa...no electronic nonsense...

mrk88

Nov 3, 2007
so i guess i wasn't lying when i first put this up in November 2009

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
Throttle jam...no rev cut meh??.'Accelerated on its own' is like the little stalk on the perdana that has acc or cruise...stepping on the brakes would revert back to pedal control.
Maybe the latest cars are so tricked out with gadgets that the new owners just did not bother to learn all of them.
Anyway latest airplanes are also 'fly by wire'

corona_ice

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2006
sunway city
i do really have to say that, most of the times drivers' can be a bit ignorant to safety features in their cars... me for instance... will never read any of the safety instructions on any labels that the car manufacturer provided... (the other day i just read in my daihatsu g11user manual that i actually have parking light for a 1985 model!:biggrin:) who knew! or how to properly fasten a child seat in the car... why u might ask? i'm a guy i know everything about cars! it's in my dna!:rofl: but unfortunatly my ego won't let me say anything else... so when u ask how many drivers will know about their start stop button function chances are the all will tell u that u can start ur car with it for the sporty feeling!:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Throttle jam...no rev cut meh??.'Accelerated on its own' is like the little stalk on the perdana that has acc or cruise...stepping on the brakes would revert back to pedal control.
Maybe the latest cars are so tricked out with gadgets that the new owners just did not bother to learn all of them.
Anyway latest airplanes are also 'fly by wire'
Got rev cut,but if with auto gearbox,sure cannot reach rev cut already changed gear..but cannot shift to N ka? or switch off the engine...

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
This is drive by wire issue! I think soon Savvy also will faced the same problem, as it also used the same technology too.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Now toyota is calling back prius, break problem... :banghead:

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys,

I am writing to share an experience which happened to my parents along Karak Highway over the weekend.

They were returning to KL and were travelling on the inner lane because there were kids in the car. For those who frequent this highway route between Genting and KL, you know that there are ups and down with bends.

While going round one of the bends, my dad saw a honda city parked on the emergency lane and it just dashed out onto the moving lane. The collision was inevitable...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience