Ringing sound from clutch

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
As most of you would've known, by using a metal clutch (single, twins, triple etc) it would give a ringing sound when the clutch pedal is depressed. Once the clutch engages and in gear, the noise would no longer be there as the car moves.

My predicament is that previously the sound goes on and off like the above, but upon returning home from Sepang yesterday the ringing sound was still around even after the clutch engages and in gear as well as when the clutch pedal is released (thus having the sound even when idling).

Power is still there when clutch is engaged and there was no slippage at all even on boost. Gear and clutch engagement is normal as well. It's just the constant ringing sound.

FYI, I'm using ORC twins on a standard BNR32 gearbox.

Would the clutch be on the way out? Or perhaps one of the plates is worn out hence still being able to be driven? Or something is wrong with the clutch engagement mechanism whereby the clutch is still half-disengaged even when the pedal is released, hence the ringing noise?

If the clutch is truly worn out, then I'll be looking for a replacement. A single plate would be good as the current power ain't that spectacular and doesn't require twins to be exact. I'm thinking of OSG/ORC single plate clutches but feel free to suggest replacements.

Any expert/non-expert views are welcome.

Cheers.

TopRpm

Known Member
Sep 13, 2007
i probably think dat ur clutch bearing need to be replace..

after all u had mention dat after returning back from Sepang dis thing happen:driver:

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
Well i had the same case and i thought the clutch bearing has to go. But after i have replaced the clutch (not willing to just replace the bearing :P) and i found that sound is actually coming out from the gearbox itself (input shaft).

p/s: i think i saw your car yesterday at the car park :D

Last edited:

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
i probably think dat ur clutch bearing need to be replace..
after all u had mention dat after returning back from Sepang dis thing happen:driver:
Well.. thanks for the input but I was just a spectator and even drove to Sepang very slowly as gobiz who rode shotgun can attest to.. :biggrin:

Well i had the same case and i thought the clutch bearing has to go. But after i have replaced the clutch (not willing to just replace the bearing :P) and i found that sound is actually coming out from the gearbox itself (input shaft).

p/s: i think i saw your car yesterday at the car park :D
Ah.. I would think so too as I recall a slow thud during shifting as we we're going out of SIC. Will have the mech look into it soon. Pray tell me what happened to ur input shaft? Was it somewhat loose that gave out the sound?

So u were at SIC as well.. in ur BNR32 as well? There weren't a lot of Skylines around that day..

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
Well i just got my clutch changed and collected the car yesterday do i didnt drive the car there on sunday :)

My mech told me that my gearbox didnt have much oil left, but er i didnt get the gearbox oil change since i have the car 3 years ago. The input shaft is just dry and damage (because of lack of oil). But the power is still there, just it makes the irritating sound. Lets hope we can score a OSG gear set or getrag box :D

Last edited:

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Well i just got my clutch changed and collected the car yesterday do i didnt drive the car there on sunday :)

My mech told me that my gearbox didnt have much oil left, but er i didnt get the gearbox oil change since i have the car 3 years ago. The input shaft is just dry and damage (because of lack of oil). But the power is still there, just it makes the irritating sound. Lets hope we can score a OSG gear set or getrag box :D

Aaah.. I need to work a lot harder for an OSG gear set.. Came by a getrag box the other day, but unfortunately it was from a written off car, hence need something similar to replace the box if I were to take the getrag out..

So what happened to the input shaft? Did it need to be replaced or just replace the gearbox oil?

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
written off car? how much does it cost?

I didnt replace anything except an oil change. The sound is still there but i cant bother much as it might cost a boom to repair the 'box. So will wait until the gearbox is gone and just replace another one :(

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
written off car? how much does it cost?

I didnt replace anything except an oil change. The sound is still there but i cant bother much as it might cost a boom to repair the 'box. So will wait until the gearbox is gone and just replace another one :(

I didn't bother to ask coz I need to replace in exchange for the getrag gearbox as it is an insurance write-off..

Will be sending the car for a check-up next week.. we'll see what happens.. I bet it will add some more holes to my pockets again.. :stickyman:

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Sent the car to the mech and instantly diagnosed the ringing to be coming from a fried aircond compressor.. :biggrin:

Shows I suck at auto mechanics.. I'll just drive and leave the maintenance to my mech.. :burnout:

Should have the car out in a few days pending search for a recond/used unit of the aircond thingy..

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
That means you never bother being BBQ in the car~ heee
Yep.. I don't mind not having the aircond really as I don't have it on anyways when I drive the GT-R solo which is most of the time. Only thing that bothers me if it rains, other than that I'm okay with it.

But I do need airconditioning when I'm the daily driver or the family car la.. hehe..

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Yep.. I don't mind not having the aircond really as I don't have it on anyways when I drive the GT-R solo which is most of the time. Only thing that bothers me if it rains, other than that I'm okay with it.

But I do need airconditioning when I'm the daily driver or the family car la.. hehe..
I usually drive with the windows partially down with the air-con and radio off for the first 5-10 minutes and periodically on the highway etc I'll repeat the same thing. Don't know why, habit I developed since first started modifying just to listen out for anything out of the norm.

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
[PIMPIN];4542107 said:
I usually drive with the windows partially down with the air-con and radio off for the first 5-10 minutes and periodically on the highway etc I'll repeat the same thing. Don't know why, habit I developed since first started modifying just to listen out for anything out of the norm.

Yep.. as well as periodically monitoring the gauges too. I think I've only switched the cd player in my car twice since I got the car and on both occasions were due to my son fiddling with the player's buttons. That goes the same for the aircond as the car rarely goes out let alone during the rain..

I'm not going to the cliché of saying the sound of the engine is heaven blablabla.. but I just suck at multitasking the enjoyment of my driving and listening to music at the same time, not that I enjoy music that much anyways as nowadays I tune to BFM..

Hmm.. suddenly the idea of listening to BFM makes me feel old.. :hmmmm:

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
pimpin,

easy. The sound of the 26 could just replace anything! (include women eh?)

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Yep.. as well as periodically monitoring the gauges too. I think I've only switched the cd player in my car twice since I got the car and on both occasions were due to my son fiddling with the player's buttons. That goes the same for the aircond as the car rarely goes out let alone during the rain..

I'm not going to the cliché of saying the sound of the engine is heaven blablabla.. but I just suck at multitasking the enjoyment of my driving and listening to music at the same time, not that I enjoy music that much anyways as nowadays I tune to BFM..

Hmm.. suddenly the idea of listening to BFM makes me feel old.. :hmmmm:
Temujin, same here - sometimes I feel like listening to music sometimes I'm lost in thought and the radio is off. But I do have my wideband AFR right on my steering column and of course warning set on MFD so don't have to take eyes off road. Used to have 6 Defi gauges in another car and you really don't even look at the gauges IMHO.

pimpin,

easy. The sound of the 26 could just replace anything! (include women eh?)
Hahah I'm not sure about replacing everything but it's an OK sounding engine I guess. Better than other cars which I won't mention

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

wokie dokie....

i'm really2 :P interested in this Mivec 1.5 Mods...as i am new in this big boys toys games :D ....also currently my car is a :( 1.3 GLi wira sedan...looking at moding the car to a 4G91 heart, but then i when i found out about this mivec 1.5 thingy..i'm really2 :P interested to learn more about it...

:) hoping the PRO's, Sifu's & current user of the mivec 1.5 to help me on the specs, pro & con, engine power output, cost and also the items needed to make...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience