Review: 2018 Porsche Cayman S PDK (718)

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
"More enjoyment". In what form? Faster? Pulls more G around the corners? Or the fact that it carries the iconic 911 badge? On the road, there's only so fast you can go and so much Gs you can pull. I think the Cayman S a proper Porsche, and embodies the things that make a Porsche, a Porsche.

A Porsche Cayenne, while carrying the badge, is just a luxury VW SUV. It's not a Porsche, cause it drives like nothing a Porsche supposed to drive (yes I drove one of these barges for a few weeks, its rubbish, the 9PA first gen model).

I guess to draw parallel as to what I am getting at, let's take BMW as an example. The Ultimate Driving Machine.

Is the 316i the UDM? While it has the same chassis as the 335i, the overall driving experience is lacking simply because it doesn't have enough power. Now then, will the M3 give more enjoyment than the 335i? Maybe.

My boss owned the E92 M3 with the 4L V8, glorious engine. Alongside a colleague's E92 335i with the n55, on public roads, the 335i can do 99% of what the M3 can do. Of course, the M3 suspension is better, the arms and bushes are better, the whole car's setup is differently, but all this "better" doesn't translate to more enjoyment on public roads, where there's traffic, and speed limits and the likes. The only thing that was more enjoyable, was the sound from the V8.

Nobody drives at 90% on public roads unless you want to go to jail. When you're driving at 50%, the Cayman S may even do better than the 911 Carrera (911 is higher end than the Cayman right) with the 3.4L engine. Why? Cause the turbocharged 2.5L lump is already at peak torque from a lowly 1900 RPM, whereas for the Carrera, at low commuting revs, the torque isn't there yet.

All I am saying, this Cayman S punches above its weight, even when lined up against its bigger brothers.

Boxster in Malaysia? What the hell for lol.
I said that because today's 911s are no longer straight line biased. Their new rear steer axles and turbo power provide a whole lot more driveability than before.

So even if one drives it at 90 percent or 30 percent at a time, the traits of modern 911s can be felt, such as ride quality, engine characteristics, chassis and so on.

Yes, one can only go so fast on the road but for every km traveled, the 911 may provide a fuller experience, without the limitations of the relatively capped Cayman

I'm not saying which is better but one thing's for sure, while the Cayman offer a sublime driving experience, it is no longer Porsche's best driver's car today compared to its 987 beginnings prior to the advent of the gen 991

I agree with you on the E92 M3 vs 335i part, but that's the na V8 version which have been unanimously critiqued for its engine only coming alive at the top end, as opposed to the 335i's all round talent. If you realised, that stigma has changed in recent years with the M cars being turbocharged.

On the topic of non Porsche, Porsches such as their SUVs, while its easy to call it a rebadged audi / VW, fact is there are substantial differences poured into Porsche's offerings to set it apart from the audi base. I'm not saying it's vastly different but there's definitely more than enough difference to set a unique ambiance, such as the bespoke fittings, sound and sensation. Is it enough to call it a pure Porsche?, probably not..

Reactions: Izso and ixeo

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I said that because today's 911s are no longer straight line biased. Their new rear steer axles and turbo power provide a whole lot more driveability than before.

So even if one drives it at 90 percent or 30 percent at a time, the traits of modern 911s can be felt, such as ride quality, engine characteristics, chassis and so on.

Yes, one can only go so fast on the road but for every km traveled, the 911 may provide a fuller experience, without the limitations of the relatively capped Cayman
No experience with the modern 911. When you bringing me for a spin? hehehehe.

I'm not saying which is better but one thing's for sure, while the Cayman offer a sublime driving experience, it is no longer Porsche's best driver's car today compared to its 987 beginnings prior to the advent of the gen 991
Wouldn't call any Cayman the Porsche's best driver's car, but man that's a lot of Porsche there for the money. I'd call it the best bang for the buck Porsche, or a lot of Porsche for not a lot of money.

I agree with you on the E92 M3 vs 335i part, but that's the na V8 version which have been unanimously critiqued for its engine only coming alive at the top end, as opposed to the 335i's all round talent. If you realised, that stigma has changed in recent years with the M cars being turbocharged.
That V8 still sounds glorious. If i had that much money to burn, wouldn't think twice.

On the topic of non Porsche, Porsches such as their SUVs, while its easy to call it a rebadged audi / VW, fact is there are substantial differences poured into Porsche's offerings to set it apart from the audi base. I'm not saying it's vastly different but there's definitely more than enough difference to set a unique ambiance, such as the bespoke fittings, sound and sensation. Is it enough to call it a pure Porsche?, probably not..
Did not drive the modern Cayanne or Macan, but there's nothing Porsche about that first gen Caynne. Well apart from the badge.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Wouldn't call any Cayman the Porsche's best driver's car, but man that's a lot of Porsche there for the money. I'd call it the best bang for the buck Porsche, or a lot of Porsche for not a lot of money.
There's definitely a lot of Porsche even for a Cayman and it's a great entry into the world of Porsche for sure.

I just don't know if it's the long-term keeper sort

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

How much is the insurance for a 2000cc car and above? Anyone can provide me a list? I am considering to get a 2000cc car but have to look into the insurance, maintenance and other considerations before I buy one. Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience