Review: 2018 Porsche Cayman S PDK (718)

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Review: 2018 Porsche Cayman S PDK (718)

A sense of pureness resonates through the entire cockpit as the engine is turned for the first time. That familiar uninsulated exhaust rasp prevails and pulsating notes from the rear of the 2 seater cabin hints at a huge boxer engine. It is not until the revs start to drop and stabilise at idle that one realise the noise experienced was derived not from the 3.4L NA we used to know but a new 2.5L turbo flat 4 instead. It even emits a familiar throbbing boom akin to a certain production engine from the orient that got purists hating on the shocking move by Porsche. Am I bothered? Read on to find out.

My first date with the Cayman S was in a 2nd gen, 2009 6 speed manual 987 that featured the 320hp 3.4L flat 6. It was and still is owned by Shedden of Exotic Mods, a mod shop for Euro performance cars. At the time, I felt it was truly one of the best cars I've driven. The sublime transmission, shift quality, power and sound of the mid engined coupe was what really solidified my love for Porsche cars. This was before any of the engine downsizing, modern PDK or rear steer era, making the Cayman S the sharpest driver's car from Stuttgart at the time. I was especially impressed with how easy it is to capitalise on the compact coupe, without the extremities that came with mid engined cars, such as say, a Lotus Exige. The Cayman was spot on, completely rigid, non intimidating and extremely intuitive to drive. Not to mention the pampering cockpit, which was luxurious and perfectly executed.

Most of all, the heavenly manual 'box made the NA flat six sing like no other. European performance cars at the time dominated with their high revving NAs with the likes of BMW M cars, or Porsche's own 3.8 flat sixers. It was a time before the re-dawn of the planet of the force fed engines. While it was a hair raising experience, working these zingy NA screamers to make power, it was getting increasingly tiring at the same time, as the effort made were gratifying mostly at upper end of the revs. So you're always either cruising or going extremely fast with nothing much to savour in the middle.

Then the turbo era arrived, and in good time too. Yes, the Golf GTIs were beginning to conquer the world with their DSGed 4 cylinder turbos while others followed suit, but it was not until Porsche, who've been late to the party with their 3L turbo flat 6 in its 991 Mark 2 that had cemented the golden age of forced induction. Porsche, for the longest time, had reserved its turbo recipe for its top shelf 911 only, so to see this piece of tech finally trickle down to more regular 911 models meant a giant deal to the enthusiasts, both good and bad.

THE NEW FLAT FOUR

Equally a big deal was their introduction of the 4 cylinder turbo to replace its iconic flat 6 in the 718 gen Boxster and Cayman models. Despite what seems to be a mass downsizing effort, this bold move actually brought about improved power delivery, driveability and efficiency. True, the classic atmospheric engine symphony is gone, being muffled by the addition of a turbine. But honestly though, the joy and excitement remains very intact, with new advantages to boot.

Despite rocking a different engine and audio, the new 718 Cayman S feels very mechanical. Engine ticks and vibrations are felt perpetually be it at standstill or on the move. The contrast between the newness of the coupe and the unmasked intrusion of engine noise is very obvious, turning it into an occasion everytime I operate it. This exact rumble from the rear is what I look forward to when starting up a Porsche coupe and this new Cayman's still got it.

Except there's now a big difference in how the turbo boxer 4 delivers power and also a certain newfound lightness in the 718 Cayman S as well. Not only in the sensation of overall weight but engine response as well. There is good meat available early in the revs all the way through mid range, which is kind of the opposite of its previous NA flat six.

The new engine also may not be as immediate but it sure make up with instant torque, through the use of Porsche VTG turbo (Variable Turbine Geometry), which electronically adjusts its turbine guide vanes to spool quicker at low rpms yet continue to provide more boost at the top end. The VTG Turbo even eliminates the need for a bypass valve, while keeping the turbine operating efficiently throughout the rev band, resulting in Porsche's iconic flat torque curve.

As for how it sounds?, well the rumours you've heard online are true and there's no escaping the familiar exhaust throb of a Subaru boxer-4 since the 718 Cayman S employs a similar engine layout. That unmistakable 2-throb per second exhaust boom is very pronounced especially at idle and low speed cruising but that's where the similarities end.

As the 718 Cayman S climbs from heavy breathing to full chat, the tune changes to a angry, mechanical grunt only achievable via the Cayman S's naturally short exhaust travel. Sadly, the classic flat 6 scream is gone and replaced by what I would describe as a low frequency, blunt exhaust note relatable to the recent turbo era F1 cars. I found it especially similar at the downshifts. There's a lot of metallic noise and activity going on right behind me which complete the mechanical symphony, and it is precisely this rare experience that make all the difference in their version of the turbo flat four as opposed to that of FHI's EJ20/25. It's not what most would call good music but is still deemed characteristic in my books. So even if it does sound like a WRX at times, you can be assured it's a better version of that in here.

2018 PORSCHE CAYMAN S PDK (718)

Engine: 2.5 Turbo 4 cylinder
Power: 350HP
Torque: 420nm
Zerotohundred: 4.4 seconds
Top Speed: 285km/h
Transmission: 7 speed PDK dual clutch
Weight: 1,385kg
Price: RM700K onwards
Official: Porsche.com/pap/_malaysia_/
Test Drive Application: porschemalaysia.com/

THE DRIVE

Despite the evident changes made to the new 718 Cayman, it remains very pure. Just as pure as the first 987 but with plenty of refinement and maturity. There is certainly more electronics now and instead of the manual box, this one has the much perfected 7 speed PDK transmission.

A slow drive out of the car park instantly reveals the intricacy of Porsche's Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (Double Clutch Gearbox) as its innards shuffle, click and tick in real time to deal with available rev, speed, and throttle input to provide a consistent pace even in heavy traffic. I suppose most DCT boxes today are equally as refined as the PDK but in here, there's something about it being audible, uninsulated and raw that makes it all the more dramatic. Its a bit like having a loud mechanical watch sitting just behind me.

On the long sweeping twisties of Karak Highway, the Cayman S felt incredibly well damped, calm and nimble, in fact even more alive than the bigger, longer 911. What's even more prominent is how flat it is through the curves of Genting Highlands while it exudes a sense of relentless mechanical grip, coupled with a sharp front steering. It feels light footed, reacting to every steering input for any change of direction with little drama, or shift in weight. All without the nifty active rear wheel steering that its bigger 911 brothers now feature. The benefit of lightness also help the midship Cayman S handle bumps and dips with plenty of grace, further differentiating itself from Porsche's flagship rear engined 911.

At the benchmark Genting Highlands mountain drive, I found myself on a few occasions over speeding before the hairpins, as the fronts ever so gently washes out in comparison to the more down-to-earth selection of test cars i've taken on the same route. Although I'm confident it would have carved them beautifully if it wasn't wet that afternoon. The Cayman is blessed with the ability to mask speed with its commendable chassis and at the same time raising driving confidence. It is very communicative as well and this characteristic is uncannily similar to the new era Carreras, although it's worth noting the Cayman S is more go-kart like.

In terms of power, I'd say the 350hp supplied by the new turbo 2.5L flat 4 is better than good, more than adequate. Punch the throttle and acceleration is instantaneous as it continues to dart ahead with impressive G's and noticeable passion from the PDK box, by way of deliberate but calculated kick to the back during upshifts.

Verdict

I am absolutely in love with the Cayman S's driving characteristics, the perfect cockpit felt awesome to be in and is matched with unrivalled seating position, not to mention strategically placed and weighted tools of the trade, namely the precise steering, throttle and brake feel. On the inside as a driver, there's nothing diluting the fact that this is a Cayman and not a 911. It's just as nice a place to be in, apart from the 911's bigger cabin. In fact as a daily driver, I very much prefer the accessibility of the Cayman over the 911.

In reality, the smaller Cayman S is endlessly more engaging to drive than any non GT 911. It is also a killer proposition given its lightweight, mid engined chassis which is undeniably the perfect platform for a driver's car. But because of its inherent hierarchy within the Porsche family, the Cayman will always be second to the 911 and therefore restricted in its overall physique, performance and status.

While this predicament is hardly noticeable from the inside, it is very apparent from the outside judging from the more sedate, less bodacious appearance. The good news is, whatever ancient stigma about the Cayman being a poser or poor man's Porsche is passé now, therefore if you're eyeing on this mid engined performer for a daily driver and can come to terms with all its natural born differences, I'd say you're in for a great buy.

Continue reading the Post.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
This is the only Porsche you will ever need. For a day to day driver. For the weekend. For the cruise. For the long distance. For the corners.

Maybe not for the track as there's a GT3 for that. But how often does one go to the track?

This, is then, the Porsche you will live and breathe with.

I want one, and I will drive the shit out of it every day. No parking at home garage queen business.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
This is the only Porsche you will ever need. For a day to day driver. For the weekend. For the cruise. For the long distance. For the corners.

Maybe not for the track as there's a GT3 for that. But how often does one go to the track?

I want one, and I will drive the shit out of it every day. No parking at home garage queen business.
yeah, after 2 separate test occasions with it, I think this is really an awesome daily.
Easy, light and nimble is what the Cayman S is.

Although the higher end Porsches do provide substantially more enjoyment, even if it's not driven on the track

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I like the new boxster over the cayman. But having said that if I were in the market for a Porsche would mean I'd have a lotta money. If I had a lotta money I'd have other cars at home. So either way I'd have the choice of whatever I buy with whatever I have at home. Meaning it wouldn't matter which Porsche I buy cuz I can afford not to drive it and opt for my other car.

Ok I'm rambling. I like all Porsches except the SUVs.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
yeah, after 2 separate test occasions with it, I think this is really an awesome daily.
Easy, light and nimble is what the Cayman S is.

Although the higher end Porsches do provide substantially more enjoyment, even if it's not driven on the track
"More enjoyment". In what form? Faster? Pulls more G around the corners? Or the fact that it carries the iconic 911 badge? On the road, there's only so fast you can go and so much Gs you can pull. I think the Cayman S a proper Porsche, and embodies the things that make a Porsche, a Porsche.

A Porsche Cayenne, while carrying the badge, is just a luxury VW SUV. It's not a Porsche, cause it drives like nothing a Porsche supposed to drive (yes I drove one of these barges for a few weeks, its rubbish, the 9PA first gen model).

I guess to draw parallel as to what I am getting at, let's take BMW as an example. The Ultimate Driving Machine.

Is the 316i the UDM? While it has the same chassis as the 335i, the overall driving experience is lacking simply because it doesn't have enough power. Now then, will the M3 give more enjoyment than the 335i? Maybe.

My boss owned the E92 M3 with the 4L V8, glorious engine. Alongside a colleague's E92 335i with the n55, on public roads, the 335i can do 99% of what the M3 can do. Of course, the M3 suspension is better, the arms and bushes are better, the whole car's setup is differently, but all this "better" doesn't translate to more enjoyment on public roads, where there's traffic, and speed limits and the likes. The only thing that was more enjoyable, was the sound from the V8.

Nobody drives at 90% on public roads unless you want to go to jail. When you're driving at 50%, the Cayman S may even do better than the 911 Carrera (911 is higher end than the Cayman right) with the 3.4L engine. Why? Cause the turbocharged 2.5L lump is already at peak torque from a lowly 1900 RPM, whereas for the Carrera, at low commuting revs, the torque isn't there yet.

All I am saying, this Cayman S punches above its weight, even when lined up against its bigger brothers.

I like the new boxster over the cayman. But having said that if I were in the market for a Porsche would mean I'd have a lotta money. If I had a lotta money I'd have other cars at home. So either way I'd have the choice of whatever I buy with whatever I have at home. Meaning it wouldn't matter which Porsche I buy cuz I can afford not to drive it and opt for my other car.

Ok I'm rambling. I like all Porsches except the SUVs.
Boxster in Malaysia? What the hell for lol.

Reactions: alcyon

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can we use GSR cams on a 4G93p head ?

got forumer said tat his car's torque is constant after doing such ?:retarded:

i m in the decision of replacing GSR cams or 4G92nonmivec cams into my 4G93p head ...advise pls:shocked:

both cams are better then 4G93p cams rite ?:mouth_closed:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience