Review: 2018 Honda Civic Type-R (FK8R)

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For that, perhaps when the new A comes out this week, you can expect current AMG 45 cars to drop in price further in the coming months. Under 200K could be a sweet deal
Actually if want the first version of the A45 (year 2013), can already get just below rm200k, but I think better aim for the face lifted version (2016) coz that one already has improved suspension, transmission, and more power. Hopefully that one can drop below rm200k. But this FL version is not as many on sale also. Anyway we'll see.

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Something about modern cars which make ol'skool ones highlight something: honesty.

Wasn't too long ago to earn a 325i badge would require no less than a 6cylinder and 2.5L.

And today we have 330i/e with 4banger 2.0. Some even go further by piping in synthetic engine sounds via speakers.

Design language of Type22 STI or E30 M3 with the flared arches and the driving dynamics that resonates with it.

So for all the loud wings and exterior design that appeals to the younger crowd, how is it that the actual driving dynamics is so mature and grown up?

Something seems disjointed somewhere. Bring back coherent and honest cars. Enough with artificial compensations. Choose shapeful naturals in place of oversized silicone.

Reactions: Izso and 6UE5t

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Something about modern cars which make ol'skool ones highlight something: honesty.

Wasn't too long ago to earn a 325i badge would require no less than a 6cylinder and 2.5L.

And today we have 330i/e with 4banger 2.0. Some even go further by piping in synthetic engine sounds via speakers.

Design language of Type22 STI or E30 M3 with the flared arches and the driving dynamics that resonates with it.

So for all the loud wings and exterior design that appeals to the younger crowd, how is it that the actual driving dynamics is so mature and grown up?

Something seems disjointed somewhere. Bring back coherent and honest cars. Enough with artificial compensations. Choose shapeful naturals in place of oversized silicone.
Well said!

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka

Exactly.

May i say bike are spare from this 'transformation'? Yes its getting high tech but it does not rob that honesty and most of all the thrill.

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Hi @Tom,
In need of your advice since I am of the dilemma between FK8 and Megane RS 280.
I test drove the Megane, however not the FK8 because they are no longer on sale by Honda Malaysia, hence I cannot do a comparison.

How would they fair with each other in terms of pure driving experience, car and driver connection and chassis dynamics with manageable power delivery?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hi @Tom,
In need of your advice since I am of the dilemma between FK8 and Megane RS 280.
I test drove the Megane, however not the FK8 because they are no longer on sale by Honda Malaysia, hence I cannot do a comparison.

How would they fair with each other in terms of pure driving experience, car and driver connection and chassis dynamics with manageable power delivery?
@DNGFashion
So you’ve tested the M4RS but not the FK8CTR
If you like the M4RS, then you’ll love the CTR just as much at the very least.
Since you mentioned pure driving, I suggest you also try the Megane 3 RS if you haven’t.
I heard the Megane 4 RS Trophy is coming to Malaysia like very soon as well, FYI
The CTR edges over the M4RS in almost every aspect, as it should since it has bigger of everything.
CTR is easier to drive, When in town, it’s practically like a manual version of the 1.5L turbo civic.
The manual transmission is also easier to operate in the CTR, take zero effort to be smooth.
It’s a complete, refined, mature daily hot hatch.

Megane 4 RS feels more demanding. The quirky clutch and shiftknob alone will require a couple weeks to master.
It’s not the easiest car to drive smooth and fast, so it’s rewarding because the longer you drive the more personalized it becomes. Seating position is higher compared to the CTR but the overall cockpit feels more special, more european, less familiar like a Civic.

Chassis wise, they both are right up there although again, it’s easier to access the CTR’s limits than the Megane. The CTR has adaptive damping which is hard to resist, comfort wise. So if you feel that dilutes the experience, then the Megane’s fixed mechanical dampers means it’s perpetually a real, no nonsense hot hatch. They are both heavy duty on the road, takes bad roads like a champion, but the Megane is just a little more hardcore every time.

Reactions: Izso

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
@DNGFashion
So you’ve tested the M4RS but not the FK8CTR
If you like the M4RS, then you’ll love the CTR just as much at the very least.
Since you mentioned pure driving, I suggest you also try the Megane 3 RS if you haven’t.
I heard the Megane 4 RS Trophy is coming to Malaysia like very soon as well, FYI
The CTR edges over the M4RS in almost every aspect, as it should since it has bigger of everything.
CTR is easier to drive, When in town, it’s practically like a manual version of the 1.5L turbo civic.
The manual transmission is also easier to operate in the CTR, take zero effort to be smooth.
It’s a complete, refined, mature daily hot hatch.

Megane 4 RS feels more demanding. The quirky clutch and shiftknob alone will require a couple weeks to master.
It’s not the easiest car to drive smooth and fast, so it’s rewarding because the longer you drive the more personalized it becomes. Seating position is higher compared to the CTR but the overall cockpit feels more special, more european, less familiar like a Civic.

Chassis wise, they both are right up there although again, it’s easier to access the CTR’s limits than the Megane. The CTR has adaptive damping which is hard to resist, comfort wise. So if you feel that dilutes the experience, then the Megane’s fixed mechanical dampers means it’s perpetually a real, no nonsense hot hatch. They are both heavy duty on the road, takes bad roads like a champion, but the Megane is just a little more hardcore every time.
Good to know that, but is M4RS Trophy 300 or Trophy-R?
Yes, you are right that I've tested the M4RS and not the FK8CTR. I will try the M3RS if there is any wiling owners ;)
Noted of your feedbacks. Yes, I agree with you that M4RS has a rather steep learning curve to realise its limits. On the quirky clutch, I wasn't stuck in day to day traffic to feel it. But I guess, Honda has the win for their MT gearxbox all times.
The M4RS turbo pushes rather hard at 2k to mid rpm range, however, does the FK8CTR turbo behave in such manner?
How does the rear torsion beam compared to the rear multilink suspension?
How does the 4control affect the character of a FF car, in your experience?
and how you use 'like on M4RS" but "love on FK8CTR", somehow intrigues me, hahah

Why not test drive some of the used or recon FK8R? Got many on sale right?
I wish too as well, but often times they require a certain amount of money to be put down to test drive. For me, I have my reservations on that practise.

Last edited:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Good to know that, but is M4RS Trophy 300 or Trophy-R?
Yes, you are right that I've tested the M4RS and not the FK8CTR. I will try the M3RS if there is any wiling owners ;)
Noted of your feedbacks. Yes, I agree with you that M4RS has a rather steep learning curve to realise its limits. On the quirky clutch, I wasn't stuck in day to day traffic to feel it. But I guess, Honda has the win for their MT gearxbox all times.
The M4RS turbo pushes rather hard at 2k to mid rpm range, however, does the FK8CTR turbo behave in such manner?
How does the rear torsion beam compared to the rear multilink suspension?
How does the 4control affect the character of a FF car, in your experience?

I wish too as well, but often times they require a certain amount of money to be put down to test drive. For me, I have my reservations on that practise.
Trophy 300 if i'm not wrong

Yeah, the M4RS pulls hard from for a 1.8T, has strong mid range from 2K like you said. The CTR is less exciting in terms of engine character, is very linear throughout but still faster overall.

CTR multilink probably feels more assuring in the fast bends, especially our b roads, better overall grip, versus Megane torsion beam, which can be more fun, more dramatic, more chuckable. But hardly felt difference in ability under normal fast driving.

4Control is a mouth watering concept, but wasn't particularly impressive in real life, didn't actually notice significant advantage at least in genting highlands. It's nice to have, does reduce turning circle significantly in city driving, u turns, carparks

got to say it's hard to resist the Megane even just based on looks alone

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Trophy 300 if i'm not wrong

Yeah, the M4RS pulls hard from for a 1.8T, has strong mid range from 2K like you said. The CTR is less exciting in terms of engine character, is very linear throughout but still faster overall.

CTR multilink probably feels more assuring in the fast bends, especially our b roads, better overall grip, versus Megane torsion beam, which can be more fun, more dramatic, more chuckable. But hardly felt difference in ability under normal fast driving.

4Control is a mouth watering concept, but wasn't particularly impressive in real life, didn't actually notice significant advantage at least in genting highlands. It's nice to have, does reduce turning circle significantly in city driving, u turns, carparks

got to say it's hard to resist the Megane even just based on looks alone
Yeah man, the outlook is something to drool over for a hot hatch. Also, M4RS is not a thief magnet, which is also my biggest drawback on FK8CTR given that I will be daily driving it.
Oh great, I was actually searching for the Trophy 300 with much keen. Maybe I can ask TC people again ;) thanks for the tip.
I will be also taking the purchased car for occasional track sessions like 3-4 months once, do you foreseen any major mods to be done for that purpose?
And my last question, is there any disadvantage between these 2 cars in your experience?

Reactions: Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I will be also taking the purchased car for occasional track sessions like 3-4 months once, do you foreseen any major mods to be done for that purpose?
Since you're going for fun track day and potentially not looking to race competitively (?) then probably a separate set of wheels and tyres for track use. Then brake upgrades. The M4RS suspension is already pretty decent, going nuts with suspension mods when you're going to drive it daily is too much of a trade-off to be used on our rubbish roads unless your bones is made from titanium.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah man, the outlook is something to drool over for a hot hatch. Also, M4RS is not a thief magnet, which is also my biggest drawback on FK8CTR given that I will be daily driving it.
Oh great, I was actually searching for the Trophy 300 with much keen. Maybe I can ask TC people again ;) thanks for the tip.
And my last question, is there any disadvantage between these 2 cars in your experience?
yeah tc will definitely have some good news for you on the 300 Trophy

as for trackdays, the Megane is good right out of the box. extra wheels like @Izso mentioned will be nice,
but if driven with discipline, it should do well pre and post trackday as it is.
Sepang is nice and smooth, so it's easy if you intend to preserve the tyres, don't scrub too much in the corners and you're good.

major mods wise, you might want to plan for a bigger intercooler. Most turbo cars are plagued by high intake air temps in sepang from the first lap onwards, reducing power as the car is driven harder, so this is a a must, especially if it has been remapped. bigger intercooler also just works better in our climate, be it daily driving or genting highlands.

as you get higher reliable stock power, then you're definitely going to hunt for more, so next could be a water meth kit since it's the next easiest plug and play system, for a healthy boost good for a couple of attack laps.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'd actually suggest just water/methanol kit first before intercooler upsize if still just using stock turbo. Bigger intercooler can be more laggy. If you install water/methanol kit, then can check the intake temp drops, so might not need bigger intercooler, hence can still maintain stock response. I still use stock intercooler on my Evo despite bigger turbo, no problems with temperature whatsoever cuz I use water/methanol kit.

Reactions: Tom and DNGFashion

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

https://youtu.be/RKGoddx302s

Bonkers mad isn't it? This video clearly demonstrates the sheer acceleration and braking force an AMG GT3 race car is capable of, judging from the familiar circuit as benchmark in this awesome onboard driving footage. If you've driven in Sepang before, you'd likely be as impressed as I am witnessing this driver, in a GT car rocketing down the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience